MGB breaking news -- UNT lands high school QB

Brett Vito

Everyone always has an exception to the rule to point to when they see a guy who most believe is too slow/short/skinny/etc...   I think it comes from a place of insecurity.

I bet there were several people pointing at successful red-headed Iowans on this same kind of thread for McNulty.   But the proof was in the pudding, and everyone questioning why we signed a QB from Iowa with no other FBS offers were justified.

People are scratching their heads over this guy, and rightly so, since he's only been offered by us and 1 other FCS school.   It's fine to hope he does well... I certainly do.  But he's a risk for sure.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Can he throw it? Check.

Can he gain weight? Check.

I don't expect him to start as a true freshman but maybe he'll be in the mix a few years down the road. Littrell is going to run a quick passing offense.  I don't expect our QBs to hold onto the ball long anyway...

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Got5onIt said:

Can he throw it? Check.

Can he grow taller?  Check (maybe)

Listed at 5'11", which means that he is really 5'10" and a little bit.  But a lot of kids grow 1-2 inches between 18 - 20 yrs.

I think he is a good find - could be a great find if he develops well over the next couple of years.

50 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Everyone always has an exception to the rule to point to when they see a guy who most believe is too slow/short/skinny/etc...   I think it comes from a place of insecurity.

I bet there were several people pointing at successful red-headed Iowans on this same kind of thread for McNulty.   But the proof was in the pudding, and everyone questioning why we signed a QB from Iowa with no other FBS offers were justified.

People are scratching their heads over this guy, and rightly so, since he's only been offered by us and 1 other FCS school.   It's fine to hope he does well... I certainly do.  But he's a risk for sure.

So much this.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

I don't think there's anything to scratch one's head over. We have a short recruiting season. We have a transfer QB for the upcoming year with 1 year of eligibility. Outside of that....

So, in my opinion, what the coaches have done is gone out and gotten a HS QB who they believe, if nothing else, has a very high level of understanding of the offense. I don't think anyone, coaches included, is pinning all their hopes of glory on one QB recruit, even if he were a 3*-4* guy. But they want someone they're not going to have to completely re-make if he has to start early, because we have a whole lot of nothing else. 

Also, we have coaches who are from the state of Oklahoma and interested in tapping into those schools, including a number of the smaller schools in the state. They'll continue to mine that level for the best players from it.

Recruiting is a complicated game. We're attempting to recruit guys like Starkel AND guys like Fine, but don't be surprised by which ones we're getting under scholarship following 20 years of futility.

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I look at the risk as being minimal, considering how few of our recruits (especially QB's) typically end up as starters/major contributors anyway. Especially considering the way that this particular freshman class is shaping up at this point. So many open slots with so few days left to fill them with quality recruits.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SilverEagle said:

Hmmm, I wonder if Mr. Wilson knows he wasn't supposed to do so well coming straight out of Elkhart, a school of 356. Or how about the Fortenberrys from Era HS (436), or Mr. Flusche from Muenster HS (210). 

I don't know...but, what has our record been with those guys?  Again, 10 losing seasons in the last 11. 

You can gamble here and there and sometimes get lucky on a kid.  But, when you are gambling with most of a signing class...it's not good for depth or the future of the team.

We all know Littrell inherited a program at the absolute bottom...a team which had 60+ hung on it by an FCS - AT HOME!.  But, reality is reality.  This isn't a class full of athletic gems. Talent level on the roster, then, will not be improved going into 2016. 

If not for the two FBS transfers, what would you be saying?

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Got5onIt said:

Can he throw it? Check.

I don't expect him to start as a true freshman but maybe he'll be in the mix a few years down the road. Littrell is going to run a quick passing offense.  I don't expect our QBs to hold onto the ball long anyway...

It could just be that LIttrell needs an arm--any arm--just to have as a practice team QB for the next few years. And if he doesn't turn into anything of major note, at least he helped him get his offensive scheme implemented at this program that was built on a plodding, run-first, throw bubble-screen second type of offense under Mac.

This is just a matter of a warm body and an arm that can help you teach the receivers. If its anything else better, that is just gravy...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I don't know about you guys.   But, I have seen a lot of FCS QB's shred FBS teams.    These were guys that were often unrated.

Nobody can argue that talent is important.  But, developing and managing that talent is also critical.    A good offensive system can really help an average QB and even mask some of the pure athletic ability.    

Mac's issues were twofold:  Below avg recruiting and an offensive system more geared towards powerhouse programs.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, akriesman said:

I don't know about you guys.   But, I have seen a lot of FCS QB's shred FBS teams.    These were guys that were often unrated.

Nobody can argue that talent is important.  But, developing and managing that talent is also critical.    A good offensive system can really help an average QB and even mask some of the pure athletic ability.    

Mac's issues were twofold:  Below avg recruiting and an offensive system more geared towards powerhouse programs.

Then what were Dodge's issues?

Y'all's memories can't be this short. 

Recruiting needs to be MUCH better.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Then what were Dodge's issues?

Y'all's memories can't be this short. 

Recruiting needs to be MUCH better.

We agree that recruiting needs to improve much like the offense and defense.  I believe that recruiting already has improved and I really like this staff.  The problem they/we face is time and history.   Next year will be much different. 

11 minutes ago, Harry said:

We agree that recruiting needs to improve much like the offense and defense.  I believe that recruiting already has improved and I really like this staff.  The problem they/we face is time and history.   Next year will be much different. 

This year is a wash as far as recruiting goes. Littrell's job at this point is to take the current group of upperclassmen and make them better. If he's worth his salt as a head coach, I believe the talent is there for an improved season. I'm not expecting anything ridiculous, but improvement is imperative going into the off season of 17/18....

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Graddean said:

If 6'0" Drew Bree's can be a star in the NFL, I see no reason a 5'10" quarterback can't be successful for us.  By the way, Bree's only had two , what was then, 1A offers from Purdue and Kentucky.

Let's not confuse a Big 10 offer and a SEC offer with a kid who has no offers going to a program that hasn't had a player drafted in 10 years.

Comparing Fine to a future NFL hall of famer is just ridiculous. 

I agree with what Jim posted above. That's the way to approach this signing. 

45 minutes ago, Harry said:

I don't see the improvement yet, Harry. Maybe what you meant is you THINK he will be a better recruiter next year?

Getting commitments from players with no other FBS offers was the reason everyone was so critical of DMac. To sit by and bring up all sorts of insane unicorn comparisons is just another form of denial so prevalent in the culture of this fan base and university. 

One week left.,This staff needs to do better. Plain and simple.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 7

35 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Let's not confuse a Big 10 offer and a SEC offer with a kid who has no offers going to a program that hasn't had a player drafted in 10 years.

Comparing Fine to a future NFL hall of famer is just ridiculous. 

I agree with what Jim posted above. That's the way to approach this signing. 

I don't see the improvement yet, Harry. Maybe what you meant is you THINK he will be a better recruiter next year?

Getting commitments from players with no other FBS offers was the reason everyone was so critical of DMac. To sit by and bring up all sorts of insane unicorn comparisons is just another form of denial so prevalent in the culture of this fan base and university. 

One week left.,This staff needs to do better. Plain and simple.

While on the subject, five foot nine and slender Doug Flutie had zero D1 offers until two commits backed out on BC at the last second, and they gave their last available scholly to local boy Flutie. These things do happen occasionally.

2 hours ago, HarringtonFishSmeller said:

I don't know...but, what has our record been with those guys?  Again, 10 losing seasons in the last 11. 

You can gamble here and there and sometimes get lucky on a kid.  But, when you are gambling with most of a signing class...it's not good for depth or the future of the team.

We all know Littrell inherited a program at the absolute bottom...a team which had 60+ hung on it by an FCS - AT HOME!.  But, reality is reality.  This isn't a class full of athletic gems. Talent level on the roster, then, will not be improved going into 2016. 

If not for the two FBS transfers, what would you be saying?

I'm not inclined to say anything until I see the final list.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Graddean said:

I wasn't comparing Bree's with Fine  I was trying to point out the similarity of the situations and that his height is not a deal breaker.  The statement was no more ridiculous  than some of the comments you make.

We all could pick out the exceptions. When was the last time UNT had one of those? And again, the problem isn't the height, the problem is zero other FBS offers.

I didn't expect Littrell to light the world on fire this class, but I expected better than what has been done SO FAR. 

46 minutes ago, foutsrouts said:

While on the subject, five foot nine and slender Doug Flutie had zero D1 offers until two commits backed out on BC at the last second, and they gave their last available scholly to local boy Flutie. These things do happen occasionally.

But never at UNT.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 7