Juco Cody Hayes OL (Navarro ) - SIGNED LOI

TheReal_jayD

7 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

You do realize what a big deal JQ was on social media during the Olympics right? This generation knows him for smashing the door in Sochi.

Exactly right.  That got more press nationally than anything our more recent NFL alumni have done.

17 hours ago, GOMG2013 said:

As soon as I walk into the athletic facility, there should be lifesize cutouts of Dunbar, Orr, Robinson, and Ozwale. 

You, a UNT alum, call him "Robinson," and then expect that every high school senior is immediately going to recognize him?

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Exactly right.  That got more press nationally than anything our more recent NFL alumni have done.

You, a UNT alum, call him "Robinson," and then expect that every high school senior is immediately going to recognize him?

I'm not an Alum.  I'm on here cause I follow Fort Bend football players.  One is a family member.  The other ones are just like family.  I have followed Fort Bend recruits for the past 8 years or so.

This is getting silly.  I would hope any strategy that went into putting Quinn on the lanyard didn't involve anything about punching a door in the Olympics.  This is not the era of ABC Wide World of Sports.  This is not the 80s.  And I'm not dissing the 80s, cause that's when I grew up and I loved sports and the way it was played.

The lanyards are definitely nice and a big improvement from what I saw in 2013.  Its done with class and they don't look cheap.  The decision to put Quinn on there is not that big of a deal when you look at it by itself.  But when you have an opportunity to make a big splash and hit a homerun, you have to do it.  Especially when the on the field performance is lacking.  You have to be on top of your game in the other areas.  I doubt this was a Littrell decision.  I doubt this involved anyone with a  new or innovate mindset.  This smells of some old school mentality that would make some older alum feel all fuzzy inside because Quinn is on there.  This does not seem to be a decision that is factoring in today's youth and their mindset.  Yes it's only a lanyard, but it still shows a weakness of the athletic department and how out of touch they really are.  Some of us on here know who he is, and think it is kinda lame, cant imagine what a kid would think.  

I personally would appreciate something old school and nostalgic.  Lifer brought up Earl Campbell who is my favorite player of all time.  When I went to the facility, I appreciated all the mean Joe Greene stuff.  Actually saw him at the game and I was hype.  MEAN JOE GREENE!!!  I'm 46 though...My kids were like "who?"  "I want a picture with Zach Orr"  Sometimes you have to know when your time is up.  There's a lot of shot callers in the AD and those that influence the AD, that need to realize, your time is up.  You don't know what is cool anymore.  Your ideas are old school.  You are behind the times.

Edited by GOMG2013
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

5 hours ago, GOMG2013 said:

There's a lot of shot callers in the AD and those that influence the AD, that need to realize, your time is up.  You don't know what is cool anymore.  Your ideas are old school.  You are behind the times.

I believe his name rhymes with Eric Capper... Just my two cents.  

Edited by MeanGreen13
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, eulessismore said:

I think he would be a great get.  I like that he was at Tech before Navarro, maybe just a strategic move to go Juco after being injured at Tech.

My concern here is grades. Some kids go from a D1 school to a juco strategically to not have to sit out and get re-recruited. But usually in those cases the recruit is a mid-term enrollee.

If a kid qualifies out of high school then he doesn't need to finish his associates degree in order to leave the juco and go to the four year school. Unless there is a grade issue. That was the case with Xavier Grindle, who we signed out of a Mississippi juco, and was at Mississippi State prior to the juco. He never got in. Hopefully this works out better.

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

My concern here is grades. Some kids go from a D1 school to a juco strategically to not have to sit out and get re-recruited. But usually in those cases the recruit is a mid-term enrollee.

If a kid qualifies out of high school then he doesn't need to finish his associates degree in order to leave the juco and go to the four year school. Unless there is a grade issue. That was the case with Xavier Grindle, who we signed out of a Mississippi juco, and was at Mississippi State prior to the juco. He never got in. Hopefully this works out better.

This is my fear with any fall semester JUCO enrollee. Littrell is taking some mighty big chances, but then again he may not have had many options.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

On 1/23/2016 at 6:29 PM, UNTLifer said:

I bet UT has pushed Earl Campbell to the side. Your comment above is ridiculous. Should we disconnect with Mean Joe too?

I agree, and love the idea of using our greats and current NFL players in recruiting. I think some of the newer posters would embrace the idea more if our brand was more stable.

Think of all the different uniforms and helmet combinations we have had since Fry coached here. I'm not trying to hijack this thread and turn it into a uniform debate. I just think we need to stick with a look. Earl wore the horns on his helmet just like everyone since. I wish we could enjoy that kind of stability with our brand. We probably never should have dropped "the Worm".

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Upvote 3

I was reading the 247 Sports,com  listing for Cody Hayes. While at Ft Worth Eastern Hills HS, Cody  received offers from OU, ASU and Tech.

247 rated Cody a 4 star OL player.

247 stated Cody may need shoulder surgery prior to going to Tech. Maybe grades were not a issue with Cody leaving Tech.

Was there any info on Cody having shoulder surgery?

39 minutes ago, Charlie NT 73 said:

I was reading the 247 Sports,com  listing for Cody Hayes. While at Ft Worth Eastern Hills HS, Cody  received offers from OU, ASU and Tech.

247 rated Cody a 4 star OL player.

247 stated Cody may need shoulder surgery prior to going to Tech. Maybe grades were not a issue with Cody leaving Tech.

Was there any info on Cody having shoulder surgery?

Maybe. Way to notice that.

I just don't see why he wouldn't be a January enrollee if grades were not an issue. It would make him more attractive as a prospect and give him a better shot at early playing time. Usually a lot of stuff to these bounce-back players.