Whare in the world did qb Conner Means go?

Chris Drybread

5 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Didn't even complete 50% of his passes as a senior. That's rough for an FBS commit.

Just goes to show the competency in our previous staff's QB evaluations. Hopefully Littrell and Harrell can work a miracle with some of these guys. Granted the offense is much more QB friendly, and you have arguably one of the greatest college QB's of all time at OC, but the fact remains that none of the guys we brought in at QB would compete on another FBS roster.

1 hour ago, MGNation92 said:

Just goes to show the competency in our previous staff's QB evaluations. Hopefully Littrell and Harrell can work a miracle with some of these guys. Granted the offense is much more QB friendly, and you have arguably one of the greatest college QB's of all time at OC, but the fact remains that none of the guys we brought in at QB would compete on another FBS roster.

The old staff's biggest problem was the inability to win recruiting battles. Not too far behind that was Mccarney's insistence on getting players with ideal height and weight. 

If you want a player with ideal height but you can't win recruiting battles, you're setting yourself up for disaster. Then you settle for players with good size who know one wants, which usually means they are not good football players.

• Upvote 2

Also makes me wonder with Morris coming in and more than likely winning the starting battle if we do something similar to what OK State did. Rudolph all the way down the field then load up and stick Walsh in for the red zone package because of his ability to run and throw. I'd be interested to see if Littrell did something similar with Morris/Smith/Insert mobile QB here.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, HarringtonFishSmeller said:

Said it before, keep saying it:  There were no FBS-level quarterbacks on our roster in 2015...and, I'll even say 2014. 

Air mcnulty was drunk most of Jo's time ! Did Greer get dismissed cause of our excess of qb's? I know he wasn't good at playing football anymore but our depth there is not good with smith and Moris and than means at number 3? In 2017 if we don't bolster there than means is the hier appearant has anyone seen him sence the green white game his freshman year ? As to smith in goal line packages he can't throw accurately consistently he might do better as a wild cat qb

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, HarringtonFishSmeller said:

Said it before, keep saying it:  There were no FBS-level quarterbacks on our roster in 2015...and, I'll even say 2014. 

Not a one.

It was obvious that when a new coach would get here that these guys would be leaving or just staying buried on the depth chart. If you couldn't play QB in the Metamucil Offense, it was obvious you couldn't play. Greer absolutely sucked as a FBS QB, Damarcus Smith was too erratic, McNulty only played because Grandpa loved him, and Means and Shanbour couldn't jump over this collection of QBs that probably wouldn't start at a lot of FCS schools.

Alec Morris will be a breath of fresh air compared to this list, even if he is just average.

• Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, greenit said:

With his speed, I wonder if he could become a TE of some sort.  We will need some guys with speed that have a little size that can go over the middle.  Does he have enough speed to beat an LB?

Rivals had him at 4.65 in the 40 so speed wouldn't be an issue. If he is indeed still 215 lbs then size/bulk would be more of an issue for playing at TE. I would like to see him closer to 245-250.

2 hours ago, Chris Drybread said:

Air mcnulty was drunk most of Jo's time ! Did Greer get dismissed cause of our excess of qb's? I know he wasn't good at playing football anymore but our depth there is not good with smith and Moris and than means at number 3? In 2017 if we don't bolster there than means is the hier appearant has anyone seen him sence the green white game his freshman year ? As to smith in goal line packages he can't throw accurately consistently he might do better as a wild cat qb

The amount of autocorr ct autocorrect (ha!) or device grammar errors are starting to become legendary here. I'm not even mad any more; almost impressed.

Edited by Christopher Walker
  • Upvote 5

3 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Didn't even complete 50% of his passes as a senior. That's rough for an FBS commit.

I mean, no one did last season. I feel like Means and Smith are very similar players with similar deficiencies. 

29 minutes ago, Eagle-96 said:

Rivals had him at 4.65 in the 40 so speed wouldn't be an issue. If he is indeed still 215 lbs then size/bulk would be more of an issue for playing at TE. I would like to see him closer to 245-250.

Yeah he'd be a very slim TE. And I don't think WR would be a good spot for him either.

20 minutes ago, Aldo said:

I mean, no one did last season. I feel like Means and Smith are very similar players with similar deficiencies. 

Yeah he'd be a very slim TE. And I don't think WR would be a good spot for him either.

H-back is a possibility. Andy Blount type player. Not sure what kind of hands he has.

Not everyone who is fast and big can play tight end.  My ex-brother in law was 6-5 and could run like a horse.  He joined the Army out of high school, then followed my sister to Abilene Christian when he finished.

At the time, ACU was coached by former CFL head coach, John Payne.  Payne saw him walking on campus one day and asked him to maybe walk-on to the football team.  My brother-in-law had played a little football at Berkner in Richardson, but had quit the team. 

Payne timed him and asked him to come to practice...where he discovered that despite being 6-5 and very fast, my soon-to-be (then, years later, ex-) brother in law was clumsy and couldn't catch worth a damn. 

It takes more than size and speed.

Interesting note, one of the players on those Payne-coached ACU squads was John Layfield...who later became a pro wrestler, going by "Bradshaw" and now styles himself as a financial guru. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Means actually looked good his first year in the spring game.  He displayed some talent.  Obviously, it is fair to assume he is awful based on sitting on the bench last year with such overall bad QB play on the field.  However, just remember Olawale also didn't see the field under McCarney.  

It's not a fair assumption, you're right. Although Means showed an improvement in mechanics from one year to the next, he showed bad accuracy.

Thing is, were the accuracy problems due to the adjustment to his mechanics? People mention his %comp in HS, so who the heck knows what's up.

21 minutes ago, greenit said:

How big are the typical Air Raid TE's?  I don't expect blocking to be as big of a priority as a Mac offense.  Although, I agree that he would need to add some size. 

Not much use in the Leach/Kingsbury version of the Air Raid but in Littrell's version of the Air Raid they go around 230-235 lbs

1 hour ago, Aldo said:

Damarcus Smith completed 60% of his passes in junior college, and still completed under 47% of his passes this year on the FBS level. Means completing 49% of his passes in high school does not sound like a good translation. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Not a one.

It was obvious that when a new coach would get here that these guys would be leaving or just staying buried on the depth chart. If you couldn't play QB in the Metamucil Offense, it was obvious you couldn't play. Greer absolutely sucked as a FBS QB, Damarcus Smith was too erratic, McNulty only played because Grandpa loved him, and Means and Shanbour couldn't jump over this collection of QBs that probably wouldn't start at a lot of FCS schools.

Alec Morris will be a breath of fresh air compared to this list, even if he is just average.

This is correct. I expected both Means and Greer to be gone this semester. Smith should be a third team, wildcat option only QB. That leaves the question as to what other QB that will be eligible in 2016 will be brought in to challenge Morris. 

Guess we find out in 3 weeks.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, greenit said:

With his speed, I wonder if he could become a TE of some sort.  We will need some guys with speed that have a little size that can go over the middle.  Does he have enough speed to beat an LB?

Yes. Last spring I watched him take off after a broken pass play and take it about 30-40 yards running around and past at least one LB, and breaking a couple of tackles. My reaction was WOW! Someone standing behind me who looked like a student said "that's not surprising since he was timed a 4.4/4.5. I could see him duplicating that run that #88 from Alabama made in the second half with Clemson after taking a swing pass in the backfield.

5 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

Yes. Last spring I watched him take off after a broken pass play and take it about 30-40 yards running around and past at least one LB, and breaking a couple of tackles. My reaction was WOW! Someone standing behind me who looked like a student said "that's not surprising since he was timed a 4.4/4.5. I could see him duplicating that run that #88 from Alabama made in the second half with Clemson after taking a swing pass in the backfield.

Probably Bean.   Not really an accomplishment.