4 team playoff good but isn't enough

Harry

I get so pumped up about the semi final games.  But unless your team is in the regular bowls who gives a crap?  I think now that you have dipped your toe in you have to move to 8 or 16 for the good of college football.  There is no going back.

7 minutes ago, All About UNT said:

This would be awesome

Never happen. FBS is all about limiting competition to the P5 conferences. They aren't going to include G5s, even though it would be hugely beneficial to college football as a whole. But the P5s don't care about college football as a whole.

Anyone else think UH coulda given OU and run for their money?

But the P5, with assistsnxe from ESPN (knowingly or not), is only concerned about separation from the G5 in order to have ALL the money. Too bad they don't see how much more money having the little guy in the tournament would generate (see basketball championship tournament). I guess they are all afraid of losing to a Boise or a UH in this type of tourney.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, brooks91 said:

I read another suggestion of doing a 6 team playoff. #1 & 2 would get a bye the first round and then 3-6 and 4-5 would play to get the final four.

They were discussing how Stanford and Ohio state would've done this year instead of OU and MSU.

That works for me.  Look, the playoff is a great concept but they will see with the TV viewership results that the other bowls pale in comparison in terms of interest.

7 hours ago, UNT90 said:

It should include all FBS conference champions, but it never will...

Like everyone else has said. Due to the fact that the P5's are greedy Sob's, that won't ever happen. I'm sorry but the current system needs to change... the playoffs this year was the most uneventful and boring set of games I have ever seen... I rather see a G5 get a chance, then see Michigan State get raped at jerry world... maybe the G5's should just start their own playoff system amongst themselves asap?

Adding more games won't help.  There's a thing in economics called law of diminishing returns, that's a good example.  No one knows what the outcome will be.  Who would have thought that Michigan State would have been blown out?  If so, no Michigan state fan would have gone.  Just sit back and enjoy the games without having to change every little thing.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

19 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Never happen. FBS is all about limiting competition to the P5 conferences. They aren't going to include G5s, even though it would be hugely beneficial to college football as a whole. But the P5s don't care about college football as a whole.

Anyone else think UH coulda given OU and run for their money?

But the P5, with assistsnxe from ESPN (knowingly or not), is only concerned about separation from the G5 in order to have ALL the money. Too bad they don't see how much more money having the little guy in the tournament would generate (see basketball championship tournament). I guess they are all afraid of losing to a Boise or a UH in this type of tourney.

I think UH would have given OU all they wanted .

3 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

An 8 to 10 game regular season would be excellent.  It would greatly reduce the risk of injury a 12, 13, or 14 game season poses on a player and would open up options for playoffs.

Rick

Then we're only looking at 4 home games a year, and one of two non-conference games a year (0 if we did an 8-game schedule). 

IMO...I think the final four is really good...suggest breaking up the B12...form 4 Power Conferences...with 4 championship games & then a final 4...that's essentially an 8 team playoff. 

The remaining G5 schools do the same and have their own championship. More football for all. 

"....they're not letting G5's in the door...even at 8" 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

15 hours ago, Rudy said:

No, this is EXACTLY what they want. Get mad, take our toys, and leave. That's their goal.

Versus them taking their toys and leaving?

Look, its gonna happen. Its just a matter of when and how. I believe that the NCAA will continue to bow down to these schools so they won't leave. The NCAA gets its money from the Basketball Tournaments to fund its existence. If it means giving in to 66 schools to stay in existence, as is, then they will do it.

The P5s own the legislatures, the media, the networks, and the fanbases. They aren't giving that up, nor is anyone taking it from them. I just think the G5s and the FCS schools are letting them do what they do so they can continue to fund their athletic departments off of the bodybag games in football and basketball. They know that the gravy train will eventually dry up and that will change the ways these schools operate, including us.

Nobody pays attention to schools below the P5 except for our fanbases--a study from a few years ago showed that over 95% of college football media coverage went to the P5s. Setting up a more competitive situation for the G5s to create for themselves should be the ultimate goal. Setting up a playoff system like FCS would be a great start, IMO. Playing those games during December while the P5s aren't playing is a great way to get you the media coverage you don't ever get otherwise, not to mention that you avoid the 50 point, million-dollar losses that are total waste of times, as are the resulting buying of games at home against FCS teams for the G5s.

1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

Versus them taking their toys and leaving?

Look, its gonna happen. Its just a matter of when and how. I believe that the NCAA will continue to bow down to these schools so they won't leave. The NCAA gets its money from the Basketball Tournaments to fund its existence. If it means giving in to 66 schools to stay in existence, as is, then they will do it.

The P5s own the legislatures, the media, the networks, and the fanbases. They aren't giving that up, nor is anyone taking it from them. I just think the G5s and the FCS schools are letting them do what they do so they can continue to fund their athletic departments off of the bodybag games in football and basketball. They know that the gravy train will eventually dry up and that will change the ways these schools operate, including us.

Nobody pays attention to schools below the P5 except for our fanbases--a study from a few years ago showed that over 95% of college football media coverage went to the P5s. Setting up a more competitive situation for the G5s to create for themselves should be the ultimate goal. Setting up a playoff system like FCS would be a great start, IMO. Playing those games during December while the P5s aren't playing is a great way to get you the media coverage you don't ever get otherwise, not to mention that you avoid the 50 point, million-dollar losses that are total waste of times, as are the resulting buying of games at home against FCS teams for the G5s.

The only thing that will stop a separation is a class action anti-trust suit against the NCAA by the G5s. Because of lazy administrators like Rick Villarreal, who are content to fund their athletic department by whoring out their football players for money games, that lawsuit isn't coming anytime soon.

Now, if the P5s stop soliciting prostitution, the G5s will be put in a very tough spot and will be forced to make a decision.

Until then, a whorin' we will go.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

The only thing that will stop a separation is a class action anti-trust suit against the NCAA by the G5s. Because of lazy administrators like Rick Villarreal, who are content to fund their athletic department by whoring out their football players for money games, that lawsuit isn't coming anytime soon.

Now, if the P5s stop soliciting prostitution, the G5s will be put in a very tough spot and will be forced to make a decision.

Until then, a whorin' we will go.

This.  We, collectively as G5's need to fight for a chance to be equal.  I know that we will only be on par with the texass u, and ohio states of the world via my NCAA video game, but G5 programs deserve to have the right to reach their full potential.  Whether or not they DO is up to them.