Mike Canales During His Final Alma Mater

rcade

On the game broadcast, I just watched Mike Canales as the band played "Glory to the Green and White" after the UTEP game. His jaw was clenched before it began and he performed it alongside the team with obvious emotion. I'd share the video if I could get it off my Xfinity DVR.

Say what you will about his job performance, but Canales had more love for this school on his way out the door than any UNT head coach I can remember. I hope he gets a head coaching gig somewhere in FCS.

He's a good man but we live in a results oriented world.

No doubt he's a good man and I've always liked him. He always said the right things too. However, I too was emotional that game. I was pissed he didn't play to win. He decided to run the team like a scrimmage. We lost because of this. We should have won but he didn't play to win. I appreciate all he did here but there is no way to explain why he didn't play our best players. 

• Upvote 2

I wouldn't mind if Littrell interviewed him for a position or QC coaches position.  Who else could give Littrell the lay of the land better?  Also, for selfish reasons, it would be worth it just to see All About UNT's head actually, physically, explode.  

Or mine, I think Littrell wants to win, which rules Canales out in any capacity. 

I want Chico as the AD and better yesterday than today. I think he'd perform well in that capacity. I honestly don't want him anything to do with QB development at UNT.

Well, I think that could still make some heads explode, but if it made RV explode, I would have to see it.  And yeah, I'm now seeing any quarterback success by any team coached by Mac or Chico was either blind luck or far enough in the past that they had forgotten what it looked like.

i don't know why but i was thinking about this season and started wondering if RV told mac and chico they would run the the quick offense?  This offense did not seem to be in mac or chico's wheelhouse.  No excuses but maybe there was a power struggle.  Oh well glad we have  a new coach but he needs to offer a little more insight what he is going to do.  I know he says he is not a great public speaker but he can talk football.  Gives us some scraps to chew on coach!

i don't know why but i was thinking about this season and started wondering if RV told mac and chico they would run the the quick offense?  This offense did not seem to be in mac or chico's wheelhouse.  No excuses but maybe there was a power struggle.  Oh well glad we have  a new coach but he needs to offer a little more insight what he is going to do.  I know he says he is not a great public speaker but he can talk football.  Gives us some scraps to chew on coach!

Chico has a million ideas and will put them all in his playbook without purging his other stuff.  He wanted to try the uptempo.  McCarney likely let him because he saw they were not winning with his ball control style... but he only let Chico take it so far.

As for Littrell giving us some scraps about his offensive style:
"We're gonna run a spread, no-huddle, multi-tempo offense.  We will spread the ball around to several playmakers."   He's said that several times, it's likely all he's gonna say for now.

As for Littrell giving us some scraps about his offensive style:
"We're gonna run a spread, no-huddle, multi-tempo offense.  We will spread the ball around to several playmakers."   He's said that several times, it's likely all he's gonna say for now.

It's not like he could share anything that would make sense to the average fan anyway.  Football plays have gotten incredibly complicated.   The language used, the decision making before and after the snap, etc, he might as well be describing fluid dynamics.  Unless you are immersed in that particular system, it will make no sense.

It's not like he could share anything that would make sense to the average fan anyway.  Football plays have gotten incredibly complicated.   The language used, the decision making before and after the snap, etc, he might as well be describing fluid dynamics.  Unless you are immersed in that particular system, it will make no sense.

Good call.  I guess if you want more details, you could watch this (Pick it up around the 2 minute mark when he starts breaking down plays.):