Mack Brown is waiting for our call

gangrene

Mack Brown: On the possibility of returning to coaching, Mack Brown told Paul Finebaum yesterday that “I really haven’t thought about (coaching) a lot, but I’ve told ESPN that if anybody wants to talk to me, I’d love to talk to them and see if the fire is still there. But I haven’t had that call yet.”

Well, maybe my subject line was a bit misleading, but you never know until you ask.

• Upvote 4

While Mac Brown would be an upgrade, he is still old school.    Instead of all the talk about how great things were at Iowa State, we would probably be hearing about the Longhorns all the time, with a North Carolina here and there.

IMO, the ideal guy is going to be a successful, young up-and-coming coach.

What high school kid wouldn't like to say he was recruited by Mack Brown ?  Bring him in for 3 years to demonstrate that he can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.  And then keep his OC or DC as a head coach.

It isn't going to happen but I'm grasping at straws.  We even lost the coin toss last night.

Make the call.  You can use my phone.

Welcome Coach Canales

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 4

I'll take him as an AD not head coach. He pissed away too much Talent at UT which ended his job. Made it into a country club atmosphere down there which lead to a bunch of trouble and a lot of losses

I would take his a lot of losses to our a lot of losses any day. He did well and did things other coaches would only dream of... getting to the national championship twice is very impressive no matter who you are. 

• Upvote 2

I can't explain why, but I've never liked Mac Brown. And after reaching, pretty much, the pinnacle of Coaching, I don't think he could possible connect or in any way relate to our student/alumni base.

Only hungry coaches (with lots of connections to Texas HS coaches) on their way up need apply.

This! I don't think Mac wanted to work very hard after winning the National Championship. I would slightly modify the second sentence to coaches willing to take the time to MAINTAIN connections with Texas HS coaches. 

Too old. Stopped recruiting QBs at UT and that eventually cost him his job. We don't need another retread to show off his NC ring that the most dynamic college QB in years won him. We need a young hungry coach.

Gilbert was rated 5 star, USA offensive player of the year, and Swoopes was rated one of the top ten QBs.  He recruited them but for. Whatever reason they didn't perform to expectation.

Mack Brown would be an awesome AD, but I think his salary from his TV gig and the money that UT pays him are both more than enough to keep him from going back to the sidelines or working as an AD at anywhere but a higher named P5 program.

Personally, I'd love to know if Jordan Case has any interest in the AD job. He'd be a perfect candidate to me--a guy that loves UNT, had success as a QB here, and is completely used to dealing with UNT's issues, as well as serving high-end buyers. I bet you he could be had if the call was made...

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

What high school kid wouldn't like to say he was recruited by Mack Brown ?  Bring him in for 3 years to demonstrate that he can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.  And then keep his OC or DC as a head coach.

It isn't going to happen but I'm grasping at straws.  We even lost the coin toss last night.

Make the call.  You can use my phone.

Welcome Coach Canales

GO MEAN GREEN

And then everyone is going to start the negative recruting. "Why would you go to NT when your coach may not even be there when you graduate?" Its what happeded to Spurrier. Its why Texas St and UTSA are thinking about moving on from their coaches. 

• Upvote 1

Mack Brown would be an awesome AD, but I think his salary from his TV gig and the money that UT pays him are both more than enough to keep him from going back to the sidelines or working as an AD at anywhere but a higher named P5 program.

Personally, I'd love to know if Jordan Case has any interest in the AD job. He'd be a perfect candidate to me--a guy that loves UNT, had success as a QB here, and is completely used to dealing with UNT's issues, as well as serving high-end buyers. I bet you he could be had if the call was made...

What an interesting pick.  As the GM of one of the most successful car dealerships in the Metroplex, he'd likely be qualified for the job from a business/sales perspective as well.  I wouldn't be opposed... but a key move would need to be made first.

I know this is just a far-fetched hypothetical discussion, but It would be stark raving mad for UNT not to hire Mack Brown if he wanted the job at our salary.

Every Texas alumnus and Texas fan in this state would be interested in seeing what he did here. It would give UNT a giant footprint in Texas football for a few years. The national media would cover our program with an interest it has never had before. Casual college football fans with no UNT ties might drive up to see his Mean Green play.

In a way it would be like Steve Spurrier taking over South Carolina when everyone in Florida thought he was done with coaching.

The potential upside would be huge.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I know this is just a far-fetched hypothetical discussion, but It would be stark raving mad for UNT not to hire Mack Brown if he wanted the job at our salary.

Every Texas alumnus and Texas fan in this state would be interested in seeing what he did here. It would give UNT a giant footprint in Texas football for a few years. The national media would cover our program with an interest it has never had before. Casual college football fans with no UNT ties might drive up to see his Mean Green play.

In a way it would be like Steve Spurrier taking over South Carolina when everyone in Florida thought he was done with coaching.

The potential upside would be huge.

Whole-heartedly agree with everything you just said.  The fact that our alumni/fan base can so easily dismiss the thought, while really not all that surprising, speaks volumes about why we find ourselves in this situation in the first place.

Many scoffed at UTSA's hiring of Larry Coker who, arguably, had a far lesser resume than Mack Brown.  UTSA is down this year but they've kicked our ass every year we've played them and are no where near the laughing stock many of us (myself included) had hoped they'd be. 

And for those that say Mack Brown is too old, he's 64.  Bill Snyder, whose K-State team almost knocked off #2 TCU and # 20 Oklahoma State, is 76.  So, age shouldn't necessarily be a deciding factor. 

Just to be clear, this was a tongue-in-cheek suggestion - I'm not endorsing Mack Brown as our top HC candidate, but we'd be rather foolish to pass on him if he wanted the HC job.

• Upvote 3

I would take his a lot of losses to our a lot of losses any day. He did well and did things other coaches would only dream of... getting to the national championship twice is very impressive no matter who you are. 

Oh, me too but with the amount of Talent that he pulled in there is no reason why they werent a 10 win team every year. Texas was a top 5 or 10 recruiting class every year