A look at 6 potential candidates for UNT's vacancy

Harry

Id take Applewhite over Hoke. Hoke proved the game has passed him by at Michigan. Hoke is like McCarney 2.0 he cant develop talent. At Michigan he out recruited a lot of the teams they faced, but yet Michigan still lost.

Michigan is a big time program with different expectations. He's proven he can win at 2 G5 programs. What has Applewhite & Lil' Briles done other than ride coattails?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Id take Applewhite over Hoke. Hoke proved the game has passed him by at Michigan. Hoke is like McCarney 2.0 he cant develop talent. At Michigan he out recruited a lot of the teams they faced, but yet Michigan still lost.

I don't think the game passed Hoke by.  I think it would boil down to the supporting staff he puts together.

• Downvote 1

I like Cumbie, but someone made a good point. Apparently TCU people don't think too fondly of RV, and he didn't help his reputation after the handling of the Mccarney firing. I don't know that the TCU guys wouldn't take the job here, but that is a factor to consider and it probably doesn't help.

Im still pushing for my boy Smiley. I can't guarantee he'd make the big jump successfully (none of these guys are even close to sure things), but I know recruiting would be incredibly fun to follow and he'd get some really good players in here. He'd also make sure our special teams are good, and we'd put up points. 

What kind of offense does smiley run and do you think if we hire smiley his qb follows. 

I don't think the game passed Hoke by.  I think it would boil down to the supporting staff he puts together.

No way the game's passed him by. He's had coaching success at SDSU in 2010. 

Brady Hoke?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cPxPSzz0LBY

You really want a retread, don't you? I'd rather have Turner Gill if we're going the retread route, but I don't see any of those guys taking this program where we are capable of going. The reasons they were fired don't translate well here, IMO.

These guys failed at P5 programs but did well at G5 or less. NT has different expectations for athletics being a G5 program. Match made in heaven?   :)

• Downvote 1

What kind of offense does smiley run and do you think if we hire smiley his qb follows. 

He runs a spread offense. Kind of has some Mahlzahn type wrinkles every once in a while. I think his QB would follow him, unless he gets a big-time offer, which is a possibility. Right now he doesn't, but Auburn is apparently going to see him play live. It's not extremely likely Auburn offers, but it's very possible.

He runs a spread offense. Kind of has some Mahlzahn type wrinkles every once in a while. I think his QB would follow him, unless he gets a big-time offer, which is a possibility. Right now he doesn't, but Auburn is apparently going to see him play live. It's not extremely likely Auburn offers, but it's very possible.

Do you think he keeps anyone of our staff. Maybe perry?

• Upvote 1

Michigan is a big time program with different expectations. He's proven he can win at 2 G5 programs. What has Applewhite & Lil' Briles done other than ride coattails?

3 winning seasons out of 8 at the G5 programs. Had an overall losing record at Ball St. 1 game over .500 at San Diego St.

Struggles to develop players. Dude doesnt even wear a head set when he coaches. 

No Texas ties.

Offense would suck. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

These guys failed at P5 programs but did well at G5 or less. NT has different expectations for athletics being a G5 program. Match made in heaven?   :)

With Gill at least he's a good recruiter and Kansas is not an easy job. I just think with these guys you're limiting your potential. Neither Hoke nor Gill are great QB recruiters and developers, so I would be surprised to see them get more than 7 wins while having a DT-type QB. Wouldn't be the worst thing, and they'd sustain more success than Mccarney, but with how quick the CFB world is changing and leaving us behind, we really need a home-run hire here IMO.

You would pick Briles/Applewhite over Brady Hoke? If I were the AD, this is a no brainer if I had these 2 resumes in front of me...

Yes, to me thats a no brainer.  Hoke is McCarney 2.0, a northern guy who thinks he knows Texas because he use to recruit a couple of players from here.

With Gill at least he's a good recruiter and Kansas is not an easy job. I just think with these guys you're limiting your potential. Neither Hoke nor Gill are great QB recruiters and developers, so I would be surprised to see them get more than 7 wins while having a DT-type QB. Wouldn't be the worst thing, and they'd sustain more success than Mccarney, but with how quick the CFB world is changing and leaving us behind, we really need a home-run hire here IMO.

If you think Kansas isn't an easy job, what makes you think UNT's job is any different.  Same problem, just a different city.

• Upvote 2

Do you think he keeps anyone of our staff. Maybe perry?

Perry has to be most likely, especially since that's the guy we send out to TVCC. I would hope he would consider keeping KP. 

If you think Kansas isn't an easy job, what makes you think UNT's job is any different.  Same problem, just a different city.

I think it's twice as easy to recruit quality CUSA-caliber recruits to UNT than it is to recruit quality BIG12-caliber recruits to Kansas.

• Upvote 3

The more and more I think about it, the more I want Kendal Briles. Whether he will come here or not is another question. I did some google research and couldn't find his current salary, anyone know what it is? 

would absolutely be supportive of Briles as well.  Guy is probably the best recruiter on the list.  You think he would have a hard time attracting a top notch QB?  

I think you also look at:

Mike Norvell - ASU OC/QB Coach/Deputy HC - He's been with Todd Graham for 8 years - Tulsa, Pitt and now ASU.

David Gibbs - DC Texas Tech - I know most want an OC as HC but Gibbs as coached both at NFL levels for 3 or 4 teams as well as collegiately and has some pretty good skins. Has some history in Texas being at both Houston and now Tech.

Tony Franklin - OC Cal While we're throwing names around - why not the guy who is so good at the spread that he has a copyrighted system that dozens and dozens of HS use. Some may worry about his age but his results (excluding Auburn) have been stellar.

Scott Frost OC Oregon - Dudes played for legends on both sides of the ball in both college and pros. 

• Upvote 1

Does canales have the power to have cosh step down and have KP run the show. Seems like the players would rather play for him. 

I doubt he has that power. It would be better for the long term, obviously. No way Cosh stays. Even if he was doing a good job, the new coach is going to bring in his own coordinators. KP could actually stay, although I wouldn't say it's likely, just much moreso than Cosh.

• Upvote 1

Willie Fritz in my opinion should be the top man, he led SHSU for years and then took over at Ga Southern and has them already winning in their transitional years to FBS, yes offense is different but he wins and it is not necessarily a run middle, run middle, run right.

The man can coach and win at smaller non P5 schools

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Well aware, but a man can dream can't he?

That's what I'm saying. All things being equal and while we are "dreaming" and speculating I would pick Briles out of everyone in this group. Young, new energy, great recruiter with Texas ties. Pretty much everything I would choose after McCarney, who is the opposite of everything Briles is, in my opinion.  

• Upvote 1

For me, the only positive about Briles is his dad.  I think his dad would likely try to schedule a home/home and possibly push fringe Baylor recruits over to his boy's team.   Otherwise, he's a huge gamble being so young and without experience anywhere other than under his dad's wing.

I'd be rather underwhelmed if he were the hire.

For me, the only positive about Briles is his dad.  I think his dad would likely try to schedule a home/home and possibly push fringe Baylor recruits over to his boy's team.   Otherwise, he's a huge gamble being so young and without experience anywhere other than under his dad's wing.

Like i said I think Applewhite is a better choice for Head coach, but we need a guy just like Briles in a recruiting position or better. We need an experienced head coach and then maybe a seasoned Dcoord with him, and a young riskier mind on offense that makes the style of football more attractive to athletes. That's just my opinion though. I think defenses should be hard-nosed and anchored and offenses these days should fly.

So we go with the known, which isn't really any good options right now. Because if the known commodities were really commodities they wouldn't be available. The best bet for any program (unless you are luring a coach with more money offered) is to go with the young coordinator from a powerhouse team who can recruit in your state. 

Briles runs the offense these Texas high school QB's like. He is definitely the "hip" choice which is why I'd like to get him. This team needs that right now. 

So we go with the known, which isn't really any good options right now. Because if the known commodities were really commodities they wouldn't be available. The best bet for any program (unless you are luring a coach with more money offered) is to go with the young coordinator from a powerhouse team who can recruit in your state. 

Didn't say that.

I'd be much happier with Cumbie or Applewhite (out of the ones that come up on here ad-nauseum) because they have experience under different kinds of coaches, so they have multiple approaches to draw from.

• Upvote 2