MGB: UNT considering forming hiring committee for new coach

Brett Vito

This is bull.  What are we paying an AD for?  A committee approach is just a way of avoiding blame if the next hire goes sour.  We should just flat out not have an AD if this is the way we are going to move forward.

Hiring committees are not uncommon for high visibility jobs. Plus, for those who really want RV fired, you could take this as a sign that they don't want to interrupt the coaching search when he is let go.

• Upvote 6

I definitely do not see this as a positive development for RV's chances of sticking around.  It is possible this was his idea in order to take pressure of of himself, but I think it is more likely the idea originated above his pay grade, essentially taking the decision our of his hands.  

• Upvote 2

Hopefully, this was put together by Smatresk and the higher ups while RV was grubbing down on some Jimmy Johns in his office. Here's how I picture RV enjoying his JJ's all the while thinking he's avoided the axe....

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I definitely do not see this as a positive development for RV's chances of sticking around.  It is possible this was his idea in order to take pressure of of himself, but I think it is more likely the idea originated above his pay grade, essentially taking the decision our of his hands.  

I sure hope you've got it right.

Professional. Search. Firms. Do. Not. Work.

I hope for a committee that reports to the president made of members who love this university as I do.

As a recruiter , let me be the first to advocate how important they are for high level searches.... 

• Upvote 4

I see nothing wrong with a hiring/consulting committee.  Don't let them virtually make the hire and influence your whole decision but getting other input is just fine IMO just don't let it completely influence your decision making etc.  You've been at your job for 15 years as an AD so you should have a very good idea of the landscape...at least one would hope and think.

• Upvote 2