MGB: Dan McCarney presser notes with McNulty, Kirby video

Brett Vito

This was so clear at the end of last year, during the spring, and during fall camp. Nothing about McNulty being named the starter, being compared to Derek Thompson, and having unwavering support from Mac surprises me at all. I felt sorry for all of you who believed otherwise, especially those of you who convinced yourself that Damarcus Smith was gonna come save the day. Instead, he is buried behind Greer :huh:on the depth chart. Once Smith couldn't get eligibility in the spring, his chances were done to become the starter here, barring injury. McCarney wants the busdriver, especially one that has been loyal to him. And Mac knows that there's absolutely nothing that will be done about it. The knee-jerk 5-year extension from the #UNTADforlife made it this way...

• Upvote 3

well Demarcus gets to join the list of Berglund and Phillips Osborn (thanks MG 93-98) as JUCO transfers who never got a real chance to actually try under DMac

Also someone remind DMac he is an employee of UNT not Iowa and not Iowa St so cut memory lane BS

Finally there are 84 other scholarship players outside of his buddy #5, how about try being at least a little unbiased when kissing someone's ass

Edited by untbowler
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2

well Demarcus gets to join the list of Berglund and Phillips as JUCO transfers who never got a real chance to actually try under DMac

Also someone remind DMac he is an employee of UNT not Iowa and not Iowa St so cut memory lane BS

Finally there are 84 other scholarship players outside of his buddy #5, how about try being at least a little unbiased when kissing someone's ass

In Mac's mind, he doesn't have to focus on any of this--he knows he isn't going anywhere soon.

• Upvote 1

McNulty did throw for 300 yards but lets look back at all those throws that looked like a wounded duck fluttering through the air. I have to admit, the bomb to Harris late in the game was actually a good throw but his throw in the first half that was a 33 yard throw was garbage. The lack of power behind his throws are amazing. Its a wonder that he doesnt get picked off more. The location of the throws to his receivers were so erratic.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I remember thinking about how awesome it would be to see a competitive game against Iowa with Mac having this many years under his belt when they announced this game.  

Now you couldn't pay me to attend a road game with this program and it really kills me to say it.  Outside of the at La Tech game in 2013 I have never witnessed a win on the road.  I really though I would be packing my bags to go to Iowa City this weekend but I've known for over a year that this wasn't going to happen.

It really saddens me to feel this way about the program and I wish I could fast forward a couple of years until this ship has been righted.

McNulty did throw for 300 yards but lets look back at all those throws that looked like a wounded duck fluttering through the air. I have to admit, the bomb to Harris late in the game was actually a good throw but his throw in the first half that was a 33 yard throw was garbage. The lack of power behind his throws are amazing. Its a wonder that he doesnt get picked off more. The location of the throws to his receivers were so erratic.

He will get picked off more. It's inevitable. He has had 3 picks to this point. He COULD have had 5 or 6 picks, easy. Even with his 3 he is on track to throw 18 picks, 12 touchdowns and 2500 yards. To put it lightly, these stats are his ceiling. If he plays the full 12 game slate I would not be surprised to see him throw over 20 picks and maybe touch 10 touchdowns. As for the yards, he might get to 2500, maybe. You can bet your rear that 30-35% of those yards will be garbage yards while already losing by 2-3-4 touchdowns. So, 50% completion 2500 yards 12 TD 18 INT is what is in store, probably worse. Dennis Green said it best, he is who we thought he is. We see it. Our pretty well paid coaching staff can't. I don't care what kind of D a team may have, that stat line out of a QB is a prime variable in a losing formula. 

• Upvote 4

He will get picked off more. It's inevitable. He has had 3 picks to this point. He COULD have had 5 or 6 picks, easy. Even with his 3 he is on track to throw 18 picks, 12 touchdowns and 2500 yards. To put it lightly, these stats are his ceiling. If he plays the full 12 game slate I would not be surprised to see him throw over 20 picks and maybe touch 10 touchdowns. As for the yards, he might get to 2500, maybe. You can bet your rear that 30-35% of those yards will be garbage yards while already losing by 2-3-4 touchdowns. So, 50% completion 2500 yards 12 TD 18 INT is what is in store, probably worse. Dennis Green said it best, he is who we thought he is. We see it. Our pretty well paid coaching staff can't. I don't care what kind of D a team may have, that stat line out of a QB is a prime variable in a losing formula. 

Of course the small sample size can lead to that projection being off, but it's in keeping with his career numbers.

The scary part? Mini-Mac hasn't faced the tougher opponents on his schedule so his INT-TD ratio is very likely to get worse!

• Upvote 3

win animated GIF

• Upvote 1

Sample size is small, but considering the competition it's probably safe to say it is accurate. We still have yet to play at least 5 teams that are supierior than what we have already played in Tennessee, Iowa, La Tech, Marshal and WKU. I could argue that MTSU is better than both Rice and SMU. If anyone that watched any of the MTSU vs Bama game last week would agree. MTSU held their own regardless of the score. So, if anything, his stat line is inflated right now...if you could imagine it. 

• Upvote 1

Of course the small sample size can lead to that projection being off, but it's in keeping with his career numbers.

The scary part? Mini-Mac hasn't faced the tougher opponents on his schedule so his INT-TD ratio is very likely to get worse!

I got a feeling it'll take a busload of INTs and knocked-away passes to get Mac to look at someone else besides McNulty.

I think Mac is a good guy who is doing what he knows and it isn't working. 

He's not the first coach to come in here and think he can make it happen here and it hasn't worked out. Won't be the last. It's why I'm hesitant to bring any anyone from a P5 program. They just don't know what it takes to win here. 

• Upvote 3

Calm down now, after his career game against Rice, he has rocketed up the quarterback rating ranks from dead last to 110th out of 120. Not too shabby, eh?

• Upvote 2

We sure do a lot of learning around here

His twitter infuriates me. I just want to reply to everything with "If you're so committed to winning then why don't we win more" or something along those lines. He just cheers on the team, says dumb inspirational crap about how losing is an opportunity to learn. He must be Stephen Hawking at this point with all the "learning" he's done in his career

• Upvote 4