MGB: Carlos Harris comes to defense of McNulty

Brett Vito

The most impressive thing I saw from McNulty last night was his poise. He got d-linemen in his face more than once and just calmly step out of the way and then moved around to gain some time to throw......or throw it away. 

The other impression that I came away with was that McNulty was obviously given strict orders to not try to make a play with his feet. He never crossed the line of scrimmage once..,...even when it looked like he had plenty of running room. And McNulty is fast enough to have made a few plays with his feet last night. SOMEONE obviously ordered him not to do it.

• Upvote 4

Well Carlos didn't say anything that you can really argue against.  McNulty is an awesome guy and an awesome leader with great work ethic (and I'll agree with SilverEagle about the poise, as well).  He has just about everything you could ask for, but just isn't athletically talented enough to *consistently* make good plays at the FBS level.

Thumbs up to Carlos for speaking up. We have loads of receiver talent, including Carlos, and would like to see the damage they will do. Personally, I just want to see someone under center who has the ability to throw strikes to Carlos and the rest so they can spread the defense and take some of the pressure off our running game. We are simply one-dimensional at this point and we will get beat to death every week unless that changes.

• Upvote 1

Of course he'll defend his teammate. Not a shocker. He should. However, every player on that team knows they have serious problems at QB. Especially Harris, he has to try and catch the trash throws. He wouldn't be talking about any of this if we had even an average QB. Working hard doesn't mean he's got talent to play the game. 

I will say i am very loyal to UNT athletics and never miss a basketball or football game, but there is clearly an issue with McNulty. Announcers can see it, referees can see it, opposing teams can see it (they stack because they don't respect his arm), opposing fans can see it, and the UNT fans can see it. Something is being spread around the team. I'm guessing the belief that if we all praise McNulty and make him captain eventually his ability will improve. I'm sure he is a good young man, but he is not a good QB. I wish they would stop forcing it down the fans throats....

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't doubt that AM has a great work ethic and practices hard. I don't doubt that he is well liked and respected. I don't doubt that he gives 100% every time he steps on the field. I just don't think he has the talent to be an FBS quarterback. Hard work can only take you so far. 

• Upvote 6

I think you can criticize and still be a fan. 

The requirement for a supporter/fan does not mean having to blindly follow and just accept things. The bottom line is this is our entertainment dollar. And those in the football program are in the entertainment business. We don't have to shoot sunshine up anyone's butt. For us fans, we don't have to do anything. And technically those in the football program don't either.  But, with all the options out there, we get to be choosy. The truth is the unt football (and athletics) program needs us more than we need them. It is good business to be inclined to listen to those who care or even potentially care. Take the criticism for what it's worth... Sure.  But we don't have to play football to be right about what we say just like we don't have to be a politician to rightly criticize policy. 

Edited by Travis
  • Upvote 2

Unfortunately, it is part of being QB; the most visible and important position on any team.  I do agree with Harris, that it was the whole offense who had problems.   Blocking was bad, and McNulty had mustangs in the backfield with him on most plays.   Not a surprise with basically a new offensive line, but it certainly didn't help the skill positions. 

TE and slots need more targets. Way more targets. Routes take less time to develop and QB doesn't have to have arm strength to get the ball to them. When TE's and slots were targeted we saw success. Everything to the perimeter was a failure. Tempo has to stop. We don't have the play caller to run such a thing. It'll just continue to put our decent defense in vulnerable situations.