Should Coach Mac....

H-towngreen

Should Coach Mac  

107 members have voted

1. 1. In your opinion, with where we are as a football team in year 5 under Coach Mac, should he be fired?

• Yes
    • No

The whole issue seems to revolve around one position, the QB. I think it's an easy choice for him to make a change now after suffering under McNulty last season. He has brought in some great recruits and we have a lot of offensive weapons. The problem is our QB cannot get them the ball. Hopefully Smith is the answer. Still wish Dajon was given more of a chance. At this point I will take a QB who knows half the playbook over McNulty who apparently knows all of it. Especially if the QB knows even 2 or 3 of the pass plays. I'm sure that the other 17 plays that involve running it up the gut will come with time. 

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

It could be worse...We could be Texas and that Dumpster Fire of a program. We dont get 4&5 star recruits and not do a damn thing with them.

I know Mac Might be able to recruit a whole lot better but he is doing a damn good job with what he has. So if we fire Coach Mac at the end of the year, what happens??? We eat his contract and all that money and who do we hire?? Do we pay more than we did for Mac? Do we settle for a mediocre Football coach so that we dont have to pay him as much and watch shittier football for another 4 years. Then fire that guy and then pay out the ass for an awesome coach?

• Upvote 2

Look at what other schools do in our situation. Any one of us would be fired from our jobs, if we couldn't satisfy the job needs.

Mac can't win us a road game.... Or bring in an FBS QB. Mac hasn't done his job...

I just think that the other QBs are not given an equal chance. There is no way that Smith or Means would have done any worse at QB yesterday. Damon had one bad game and was pulled. Why not Mcnulty after 7 or 8 bad games. Ilike Mac. Recruits, defense, special teams, fans, and game time atmosphere have all improved over the last couple seasons. It's one simple issue. Bench Mcnulty and save his career. I'm hoping after yesterday he wakes up and realizes it's in the best interest of all parties involved. 

• Upvote 3

I don't know about fire, but I wouldn't have extended him. Let's look at that 2013 season and look into reasons there were to be critical, at the time, of the extension.

1. Hadn't developed his own QB at the time of the extension.*

2. All 4 d-line starters from the bowl team were inherited from the Dodge regime.*

*Let this be a lesson. Two most important position units in football. 

3. 7 offensive starters, and 6 defensive starters (6 of our front 7) were inherited from the Dodge regime.

4. 5 of our 6 conference wins and 6 of our total 9 wins came against freshman QBs, most of which were not the team's starting QB by choice going into the year. We feasted on those guys.

5. Our 3 road wins (he has won 5 total here and 0 since the extension) were against, you guessed it, 3 freshman QBs who were not the teams' starting QBs at the beginning of the year. Higgins at La Tech, Mullens at Southern Miss (redshirt was burned that game to start against us), and Dane Evans at Tulsa. Those teams had a combined record of 8-28 that year.

Make no mistake about it, I am not belittling the 2013 bowl run or what Mccarney and co. did that year. I just think these factors were not considered at all before giving Mccarney a hefty extension, and they definitely should've been. I think he does still deserve to coach out the entirety of his initial contract and this season. It's just not looking good, and we have two commits in recruiting. 

• Upvote 4

I just think that the other QBs are not given an equal chance. There is no way that Smith or Means would have done any worse at QB yesterday. Damon had one bad game and was pulled. Why not Mcnulty after 7 or 8 bad games. Ilike Mac. Recruits, defense, special teams, fans, and game time atmosphere have all improved over the last couple seasons. It's one simple issue. Bench Mcnulty and save his career. I'm hoping after yesterday he wakes up and realizes it's in the best interest of all parties involved. 

I hope you're right. If McNulty gets benched, guess who is next on the line up though. Isn't it Greer? I don't think McNulty gets benched, until the Iowa game. 

And @Withers940, RV should just hire one of us as coach. I know we aren't qualified, but we know what needs to be changed or moved around. We lost that game last night, because of our offense. Obviously McNulty should take responsibility for that.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Looked up the contract.  $375k a year for three more years (through 2018).  Seems like the buyout would be a little over $1.1 million.

Looked up the contract.  $375k a year for three more years (through 2018).  Seems like the buyout would be a little over $1.1 million.

so what you are saying is we are stuck with RV, DMac and Benford until their contracts run.

Gee thanks BOR for this absolute garbage for the next 2-5 yrs

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

so what you are saying is we are stuck with RV, DMac and Benford until their contracts run.

Gee thanks BOR for this absolute garbage for the next 2-5 yrs

Just stop with this mentality.

Please.

We are not "stuck" with anything, unless the BOR chooses to stick us with it. We can afford to buy out DMac, Benford, and RV if we care enough to do so. 

So stop with the "whoa is us because we are so so poor" pity party. It simply isn't true.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

It could be worse...We could be Texas and that Dumpster Fire of a program. We dont get 4&5 star recruits and not do a damn thing with them.

I know Mac Might be able to recruit a whole lot better but he is doing a damn good job with what he has. So if we fire Coach Mac at the end of the year, what happens??? We eat his contract and all that money and who do we hire?? Do we pay more than we did for Mac? Do we settle for a mediocre Football coach so that we dont have to pay him as much and watch shittier football for another 4 years. Then fire that guy and then pay out the ass for an awesome coach?

Oh,  I was unaware that we didn't already have a mediocre coach. If UNT is truly all about budget we could hire someone else for half the price or 2/3 of it and maintain our current results. Some OC in the MAC, MW, AAC, etc. could come in and get embarrassed by SMU and probably go on to win 3 or 4 games in year 5 too. 

Just stop with this mentality.

Please.

We are not "stuck" with anything, unless the BOR chooses to stick us with it. We can afford to buy out DMac, Benford, and RV if we care enough to do so. 

So stop with the "whoa is us because we are so so poor" pity party. It simply isn't true.

I am not throwing a pity party, but past and reality show BOR won't do a damn thing due to ego and friendships, then we are the cheapest bastards in 1A athletics.

Oh,  I was unaware that we didn't already have a mediocre coach. If UNT is truly all about budget we could hire someone else for half the price or 2/3 of it and maintain our current results. Some OC in the MAC, MW, AAC, etc. could come in and get embarrassed by SMU and probably go on to win 3 or 4 games in year 5 too. 

We overspent money on a 30 games below .500 and gave him a raise when he coached up TD's seniors to a bowl game, DMac was and still is a mediocre HC, there were other options there  but instead RV went with his easy choice to allow  DMac a retirement home.

We could have spent less and gotten similar results, hell our Ole Ball coach got his a$$ handed to him by a brand new HC and that says a lot.

• Downvote 1

You know, I have a lot of close friends, but I doubt that I would endanger my career and reputation just to play their kid at quarterback.  McNulty has had his chance and it did not work...now let's move on the Greer and D.Smith.

• Upvote 2

If the problems do indeed lie with staffing-  who you all should feel really sorry for is the players.

Many of who would not be playing D1 if it were not for our poor recruiting abilities and limitations that have been caused by poor performance... so feel sorry that they are getting a great free education and the chance to play D1?  No thanks.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Many of who would not be playing D1 if it were not for our poor recruiting abilities and limitations that have been caused by poor performance... so feel sorry that they are getting a great free education and the chance to play D1?  No thanks.

Get out of here with that crap....

you want to be pissed?  that's fine. go be pissed. But don't drag these athletes under your bus because you can't keep your emotions in check.

If you don't know what college athletes have to endure in order to maintain that scholarship- I don't really think you're qualified to make such statements.  That's BS.  Enough.

Edited by SSP
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

Look at what other schools do in our situation. Any one of us would be fired from our jobs, if we couldn't satisfy the job needs.

Mac can't win us a road game.... Or bring in an FBS QB. Mac hasn't done his job...

Based on his overall personality, I'm afraid that Mac will now circle the wagons and stubbornly refuse to make the obvious move. That thought makes me very sad. 

I voted no myself because the jury is still out. I'm very skeptical of a not guilty verdict, but I'm still holding out hope. At least for a few more weeks.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1