McNulty deserves his chance

Harry

All Mac has said is that McNulty is way ahead. To me that just means the guys that are/were here. Smith is an unknown so McNulty is ahead of him until proven otherwise. 

I mi believe Smith will be given a shot, although it will be tough with only a few weeks to impress. Two weeks before 1st game I expect Mac to know who his starter will be. At least the opening week bye gives Smith a slightly longer window of opportunity. It's a darn shame he missed Spring, but he has nobody to blame other than himself for that. 

• Upvote 5

This tired discussion drives me bananas. Following AJ Derby does not make him AJ Derby! Go to his rivals page, I beg you, and click on the three similar quarterbacks on the right side of the page and see where they ended up playing college ball(best I've seen is the 3rd stringer at Troy, a rs-sr playing behind a juco sr and a rs-soph.). He is not a FBS quarterback. If he is, please tell me what school other than ours had any serious interest in his services as a qb. The suggestion of Iowa is laughable, that just isn't true. He has only "paid his dues" and "deserves his shot" because he was not moved to wr or db like he should've been.

Below are some high school quarterbacks that have passed through Mean Green Land.

High School:

1. As a senior, he threw for 3,150 yards along with 30 touchdowns compared to nine interceptions.

2. Was a first-team All-District quarterback in 2011 passing for 2,691 yards and 24 touchdowns as a senior

3. Threw for 2,418 yards and 29 touchdowns and added six scores on the ground as a senior

4. Completed 155-of-224 passes for 1,911 yards, 18 TD's as a senior, also rushed for 833 yards on 109 carries and nine TD's

5. Offensive co-MVP with a current Dallas Cowboy wr his Sr. year 1331 rushing 1688 passing 25 total tds

6.Threw for 1,618 yards and 15 touchdown passes while rushing for 508 yards and five touchdowns as a senior. 

7. Threw for 1,438 yards and 12 touchdowns as a senior and added 1,137 yards and 14 touchdowns on the ground

8. Threw for 1,325 yards and 10 touchdowns while rushing for 592 yards and 10 touchdowns as a senior

9. As a junior, in the final three games of the season he threw for 832 yards and seven touchdowns while rushing for 305 yards and five touchdowns.

Without cheating try and match these names with their own quarterbacking stats.

Chumley, McNulty, Greer, Means, D.Smith, Derek Teegarden, Cooper Jones, Chase Baine, Dajon Williams

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2

1.  McCarney tried every option he could reasonably send out on the field before finally settling on McNulty in 2014.  And no, Dajon did not prove himself to be a vastly better option.  In his two starts against FBS opponents, DW had QB ratings of 30.4 and 5.6.  McNulty wasn't much better, but that hardly suggests nepotism or gross misjudgment.  We might not want to admit it, but at the very least a reasonable argument could be made that McNulty was in fact the best option of the three last year (I'm assuming burning Connor Means's redshirt was never an option).  There's a fair point to be made about our coaches' failures to recruit and develop top notch QB talent, but that's a separate issue and shouldn't be converted into needless McNulty bashing.

2.  We have no idea if D. Smith is a better QB.  I hope he's so obscenely bad ass that Tennessee forfeits our game and hands us a $10 million bill with D-Smith's picture printed on it.  But--there's always that chance that McNulty could just beat him out fair and square.    

• Upvote 2

This tired discussion drives me bananas. Following AJ Derby does not make him AJ Derby! Go to his rivals page, I beg you, and click on the three similar quarterbacks on the right side of the page and see where they ended up playing college ball(best I've seen is the 3rd stringer at Troy, a rs-sr playing behind a juco sr and a rs-soph.). He is not a FBS quarterback. If he is, please tell me what school other than ours had any serious interest in his services as a qb. The suggestion of Iowa is laughable, that just isn't true. He has only "paid his dues" and "deserves his shot" because he was not moved to wr or db like he should've been.

Below are some high school quarterbacks that have passed through Mean Green Land.

High School:

1. As a senior, he threw for 3,150 yards along with 30 touchdowns compared to nine interceptions.

2. Was a first-team All-District quarterback in 2011 passing for 2,691 yards and 24 touchdowns as a senior

3. Threw for 2,418 yards and 29 touchdowns and added six scores on the ground as a senior

4. Completed 155-of-224 passes for 1,911 yards, 18 TD's as a senior, also rushed for 833 yards on 109 carries and nine TD's

5. Offensive co-MVP with a current Dallas Cowboy wr his Sr. year 1331 rushing 1688 passing 25 total tds

6.Threw for 1,618 yards and 15 touchdown passes while rushing for 508 yards and five touchdowns as a senior. 

7. Threw for 1,438 yards and 12 touchdowns as a senior and added 1,137 yards and 14 touchdowns on the ground

8. Threw for 1,325 yards and 10 touchdowns while rushing for 592 yards and 10 touchdowns as a senior

9. As a junior, in the final three games of the season he threw for 832 yards and seven touchdowns while rushing for 305 yards and five touchdowns.

Chumley, McNulty, Greer, Means, D.Smith, Derek Teegarden, Cooper Jones, Chase Baine, Dajon Williams

Mcnulty 6 or 8. 

• Upvote 2

High School:

I'll try my hand at this...

1 = D. Smith

2 = Greer

3 = McNulty

4 = Williams

5 = Baine

6 = Chumlee

7 = Teegarden

8 = Means

9 = Jones.

I know some of them are right.. but I'm pretty sure most are wrong. just trying to kill time until the season.

• Upvote 1

Comparing DT to McNulty is nonsensical of the highest order...

Well your head coach just did at C-USA media day.  Not physically speaking, but in terms of intangibles etc.. I'll have to go dig up the quote but I am pretty sure he made the comparison.

Comparing DT to McNulty is nonsensical of the highest order...

We are going to have McNulty or any upcoming QB compared to DT, until we have another successful season in my opinion. The 2014 HOD MVP QB is now the marker for a current or future North Texas QB. If I was interviewing McCarney, I would throw QB comparisons of DT to get Mac to take a hint in regards to our QB plan. McNulty was Thompson's backup, so he is basically the little brother that is expected to take over for the big brother after he graduates. Clearly he ain't bringing it. But hey.. They say history repeats itself... DT came off of a 4-8 season and finished his NT career season 9-4. 2014 was a 4-8 season.... so.....

Well your head coach just did at C-USA media day.  Not physically speaking, but in terms of intangibles etc.. I'll have to go dig up the quote but I am pretty sure he made the comparison.

Like 24 said, he was asked the question and gave coach speak for an answer. 

And you have to remember that Mac has to be politically correct on his answers to give fans hope. If he makes a comparison, he doesn't necessarily mean it. 

For or an example, look no further than the "we are going to open up the offense this year" claim that has been made the last 2 off seasons. 

• Upvote 1

90 this year open up means, foot on the gas pedal and go go go go go go go go baby!! I am ready. I think they will be faster pace, to try and wear the defense down.  It is smart, how many games have you seen where an Offense goes up against a Bama type SEC defense and they go so dang fast and run so many plays by the 3rd quarter the defense doesn't even know what county or state they're in.  I think this, Mcnulty is the starter vs SMU while Smith becomes the starter vs Rice and for the rest of the season. 

• Upvote 2

90 this year open up means, foot on the gas pedal and go go go go go go go go baby!! I am ready. I think they will be faster pace, to try and wear the defense down.  It is smart, how many games have you seen where an Offense goes up against a Bama type SEC defense and they go so dang fast and run so many plays by the 3rd quarter the defense doesn't even know what county or state they're in.  I think this, Mcnulty is the starter vs SMU while Smith becomes the starter vs Rice and for the rest of the season. 

sigh...  

This is wont happen. Particularly if MMac is QB. We were promised the same last year and got 44 runs and 20 pass plays in one particular home game. 

Mac is what is he is, and he is far too old to change his spots.

And if McNulty starts against SMU, he doesn't lose that job until AFTER the Iowa homecoming game. Mark that. 

• Upvote 3

Example. At The Colony, known for the ground and pound smash you in the mouth run it down your throat offense.  They even go uptempo sometimes, hurry up to the line, run a second play just to try and catch the defense on its heels or relaxing, all it takes it one player not locked in and it could be 6. 

sigh...  

This is wont happen. Particularly if MMac is QB. We were promised the same last year and got 44 runs and 20 pass plays in one particular home game. 

And if McNulty starts against SMU, he doesn't lose that job until AFTER the Iowa homecoming game. Mark that. 

whats our record next year?? how many drinks you buying me after the GMG.com game if you're off??

1 = D. Smith

2 = Greer

3 = McNulty

4 = Williams

5 = Baine

6 = Chumlee

7 = Teegarden

8 = Means

9 = Jones.

I know some of them are right.. but I'm pretty sure most are wrong. just trying to kill time until the season.

A valiant effort. I know you got the first one correct and the last one incorrect. I will let you know how you scored in the middle tomorrow morning.

Mcnulty 6 or 8. 

You are very close but those are both incorrect.

Yep.  DT was a mediocre quarterback with a stellar defense and special teams.  McNulty is a mediocre quarterback with an average defense and special teams.

Also throw in McNulty is facing what looks to be a tougher schedule 

sigh...  

We will see more up tempo and more spread looks. The question is will it be balanced in non garbage time. Plus will they be able to balance touches and not just all Carlos Harris. Harris accounted for over 40% of all the passing targets. 

• Upvote 1

High School:

I wasn't following UNT recruiting as closely for a lot of these guys but I'm almost certain 8 is Means and 9 is Chumley. Also pretty confident 2 is Greer.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 2

Yep.  DT was a mediocre quarterback with a stellar defense and special teams.  McNulty is a mediocre quarterback with an average defense and special teams.

McNulty and DT are equals? Geez...I guess there is hope after all, especially since our special teams should be well above mediocre IMO. Also, I don't think most expected our defense to be as good as it was two years ago. We shall have to wait and see once again on that one.

• Upvote 1

I wasn't following UNT recruiting as closely for a lot of these guys but I'm almost certain 8 is Means and 9 is Chumley. Also pretty confident 2 is Greer.

100% correct.

1 = D. Smith

2 = Greer

3 = McNulty

4 = Williams

5 = Baine

6 = Chumlee

7 = Teegarden

8 = Means

9 = Jones.

4 wins, 5 losses, you have a better record than any qb that played for us last year. Well done sir.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1

90 this year open up means, foot on the gas pedal and go go go go go go go go baby!! I am ready. I think they will be faster pace, to try and wear the defense down.  It is smart, how many games have you seen where an Offense goes up against a Bama type SEC defense and they go so dang fast and run so many plays by the 3rd quarter the defense doesn't even know what county or state they're in.

here is the problem I see with this.  If you get first downs it's a great strategy.  Then again if you fail to get atleast 1 first down your defense had max 2 minutes to rest and get coached up and more chances to get exposed throughout the game.

with an average defense this is a bad strategy.

Unheralded as a prospect, he did have an outstanding senior season and as a junior at Iowa City he played behind a 4-star prospect named AJ Derby who now plays for the Patriots in the NFL. 

as a tight end.... He never played qb for Iowa, had to transfer after being moved to defense. He then played a year at qb for the Kansas college that brought us Woody Wilson. Then walked-on his RS-Jr season as a backup qb for Arkansas, started 1 game due to injured starter. Moved to tight end the following year.

Derby's HS stats--1,820 yards and 23 touchdowns in leading team to state title as a senior . . . also rushed 142 times for 752 yards . He was touted because of his prototypical size, not because of he was Walter Camp's gift to quarterbacking.

McNulty-Threw for 1,438 yards and 12 touchdowns as a senior and added 1,137 yards and 14 touchdowns on the ground

• Upvote 1