McNulty deserves his chance

Harry

Just remember this regarding our QB situation this season-  it was our HC and OC(I suspect) that evaluated and trotted Josh Greer onto the field last season in our opener against Texas. 

I truly wish I could see how last season would've went if McNulty had beat out Greer in Fall Camp. My main curiosity would be how short McNulty's leash would've been. After McNulty faltered. Would Greer have finished the season with unwavering support from his head coach or would McNulty been put back in? If McNulty wins the job, does Thrilly D ever even see the field against LaTech?

here is the problem I see with this.  If you get first downs it's a great strategy.  Then again if you fail to get atleast 1 first down your defense had max 2 minutes to rest and get coached up and more chances to get exposed throughout the game.

with an average defense this is a bad strategy.

That is one potential problem, but with a good OC, it takes two series and you know what they are going to check into automatically when you go Nascar.  You see what they get in, now you know I can go tempo, and call this play or that play and expose the defense they get in when facing tempo.  Lots of schools will have 1-2 coverages they run in tempo situations and get into a base front whatever that may be and they stay put, less thinking lets the kids slow the game down and play fast.  Just get lined up and get ready to go.  

He is a below average quarterback with a weak arm.  Many players are "dedicated" to a team, but this alone does not justify playing time - performance on the field primarily justifies playing time. We had a horrendous season at the quarterback position last year - we need fresh blood that is athletic and can actually throw reliably accurate passes. 

• Upvote 3

McNulty had his chance in 2014 and failed miserably.

McNulty's failures were less-miserable than the other QBs.  The only change during the Spring was Connor Means' redshirt removal and entry into the race.  The fact that McNulty came out of the Spring with the lead (and Greer behind him, not Means) is more telling of Mr. Means' talents than McNulty's.

Help us DaMarcus Smith.  You're our only hope.
art-353-Leia-20--20Copy-300x0.jpg

• Upvote 2

McNulty's failures were less-miserable than the other QBs.  The only change during the Spring was Connor Means' redshirt removal and entry into the race.  The fact that McNulty came out of the Spring with the lead (and Greer behind him, not Means) is more telling of Mr. Means' talents than McNulty's.
Help us DaMarcus Smith.  You're our only hope.
art-353-Leia-20--20Copy-300x0.jpg

LOL

McNulty's failures were less-miserable than the other QBs. 

I wholeheartedly disagree. McNulty was just as dreadful as Greer in Austin, maybe even more so. If given the same leash as McNulty, I believe Josh could've been just as successful as Andy in the final 6 games of the season.

That is one potential problem, but with a good OC, it takes two series and you know what they are going to check into automatically when you go Nascar.  You see what they get in, now you know I can go tempo, and call this play or that play and expose the defense they get in when facing tempo.  Lots of schools will have 1-2 coverages they run in tempo situations and get into a base front whatever that may be and they stay put, less thinking lets the kids slow the game down and play fast.  Just get lined up and get ready to go.  

This is where i stopped reading.

He is a below average quarterback with a weak arm.  Many players are "dedicated" to a team, but this alone does not justify playing time - performance on the field primarily justifies playing time. We had a horrendous season at the quarterback position last year - we need fresh blood that is athletic and can actually throw reliably accurate passes. 

903526.jpg

I wholeheartedly disagree. McNulty was just as dreadful as Greer in Austin, maybe even more so. If given the same leash as McNulty, I believe Josh could've been just as successful as Andy in the final 6 games of the season.

That is a tough one actually. Greer was absolutely terrible... He gets nervous and lets his nerves play the football game. I much rather have McNulty out there if it was down to the two of them. you could actually measure how bad SMU was, by seeing how we almost shut out a game with Greer.

It is close though, but I think that McNulty is a sliver ahead of Greer, Both aren't qualified QB's tough.

MeanGreenTexan said the rights words in our situation

"Help us DaMarcus Smith.  You're our only hope".

• Upvote 2

I think McNulty is a tad bit better than what his overall 2014 showed.  He was injured against rice and that injury lingered the whole season.  That rib injury prevented the one thing he could do well, and that is run.

Say what you want about mac, but he rarely discusses injuries and uses them as an excuse.

Injuries played a big part in 4-8.  Lee and ybarbo were preseason conference team players that played hurt and below expectations.  If healthy, we beat utsa and usm.  Mason and Lincoln injuries hurt us too.

McNulty was healthy against usm though and we still lost, so I'm not sure how much upside is there.  Defense gave up 30 to usm too, so it's not all on him.

I think McNulty is a tad bit better than what his overall 2014 showed.  He was injured against rice and that injury lingered the whole season.  That rib injury prevented the one thing he could do well, and that is run.

Say what you want about mac, but he rarely discusses injuries and uses them as an excuse.

Injuries played a big part in 4-8.  Lee and ybarbo were preseason conference team players that played hurt and below expectations.  If healthy, we beat utsa and usm.  Mason and Lincoln injuries hurt us too.

McNulty was healthy against usm though and we still lost, so I'm not sure how much upside is there.  Defense gave up 30 to usm too, so it's not all on him.

It is amazes me that McCarney was so disgusted with Greer and Williams that he would continue to use an injured McNulty despite him not being a FBS quarterback when 100% healthy.

Excuses. DT went 21 of 30 for 256yds 2tds and no ints with a busted kneecap in a Bowl game.

Below is the comparison of Riley Dodge's and Andrew McNulty's junior seasons. Dodge was supposed to be a receiver that season because of ulnar nerve damage in his throwing arm. After Tune and Thompson went down, Dodge had to come in and tough it out and still has better stats(especially when you considered only 9 of those games played he was a quarterback) than a "rib-injured" McNulty. I understand different head coaches but same OC. Defense and Special Teams were equivalent or worse than last year.

PASSING GP Effic Cmp-Att-Int Pct Yards  TD Long Avg/G 
Dodge, Riley  11 134.2 106-176-4 60.2 1212 11 66 110.2 
PASSING GP Effic Cmp-Att-Int Pct Yards  TD Long Avg/G 
McNulty, Andrew 10 111.2 110-202-7 54.5 1295 51 129.5 
  • Upvote 2

Below are some high school quarterbacks that have passed through Mean Green Land.

High School:

D.Smith 1. As a senior, he threw for 3,150 yards along with 30 touchdowns compared to nine interceptions.

Greer 2. Was a first-team All-District quarterback in 2011 passing for 2,691 yards and 24 touchdowns as a senior

Cooper Jones 3. Threw for 2,418 yards and 29 touchdowns and added six scores on the ground as a senior

Derek Teegarden 4. Completed 155-of-224 passes for 1,911 yards, 18 TD's as a senior, also rushed for 833 yards on 109 carries and nine TD's

Chase Baine 5. Offensive co-MVP with  Cole Beasley his Sr. year 1331 rushing 1688 passing 25 total tds

Dajon Williams 6.Threw for 1,618 yards and 15 touchdown passes while rushing for 508 yards and five touchdowns as a senior. 

McNulty 7. Threw for 1,438 yards and 12 touchdowns as a senior and added 1,137 yards and 14 touchdowns on the ground

Means 8. Threw for 1,325 yards and 10 touchdowns while rushing for 592 yards and 10 touchdowns as a senior

Chumley 9. As a junior, in the final three games of the season he threw for 832 yards and seven touchdowns while rushing for 305 yards and five touchdowns.

with answers

The point was that we had a tight end and 2 wide receivers with better high school stats than AJ Derby's backup(who we stole from Iowa) and those qbs did it against Texas high school talent. He was only able to "pay his dues" and "deserve his chance" because he didn't get moved to another position like some of our other quarterbacks. If they put similar investment into Caleb Chumley for four or five years, he might "deserve his chance" too.

And I bet anybody on this board a beer right now that if Caleb plays his whole career with us as a quarterback, more scouts will come to see him at pro day then will care to see McNulty at his.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2

with answers

The point was that we had a tight end and 2 wide receivers with better high school stats than AJ Derby's backup(who we stole from Iowa) and those qbs did it against Texas high school talent. He was only able to "pay his dues" and "deserve his chance" because he didn't get moved to another position like some of our other quarterbacks. If they put similar investment into Caleb Chumley for four or five years, he might "deserve his chance" too.

And I bet anybody on this board a beer right now that if Caleb plays his whole career with us as a quarterback, more scouts will come to see him at pro day then will care to see McNulty at his.

Caleb is a tight end.  Have you seen him lately?  He's filled out a lot.

Caleb is a tight end.  Have you seen him lately?  He's filled out a lot.

Roster says quarterback, coach said quarterback, turned down P5 offers to come here as a quarterback. Until Chumley himself says he is playing tight end and happy about it, I won't believe it. Darius Terrell left UT because he didn't want t be a tight end, I see Chumley doing the same.

• Upvote 1

I don't think he leaves to play TE elsewhere. Once the inevitable transition takes place he will realize he can be a top tier TE in CUSA or possibly buried in the depth chart elsewhere. Why take the chance? Granted, he could go elsewhere and contribute, who really knows? But, again, why take the chance and leave the high probability of being a top tier TE in a decent conference. I believe Terrell felt as if he was going to get buried at UT regardless of position switch and that prompted his transfer. 

I think Chumley is here for the long haul and will be a starting TE on our team along with Dillman in 2017. 

This brings me to another point...

We seem to be pretty good in short term (next 2-3 years) at most skill positions across the board except for the obvious, QB. We have valuable pieces in place at WR, TE, and RB. I will keep beating this dead horse, we desperately need Damarcus Smith to come in here and take over the QB position in camp and give us a little bit of sustained consistency over the next 2 years. If he can do that, we can be really good or at minimum respectable in 2015 and 2016. That is why starting Smith THIS season is so important. If Mac likes AM so much that is great. Throw him in there for specialty packages or as a decoy or trick plays and let him hold extra points and field goals so he can be a productive player on this team. But for heave sake don't roll him out there as our starter because he is ol' trusty (for whatever reason) and a friend of the family. This team is bigger than Dan McCarney and he must realize that. He will move on and North Texas will just be another proverbial notch on the belt, but North Texas and her fans are here forever (cheesy, but true). 

• Upvote 1

Yep.  DT was a mediocre quarterback with a stellar defense and special teams.  McNulty is a mediocre quarterback with an average defense and special teams.

if you think McNulty possesses the arm, size, or decision making ability of Derek Thompson, you are a college football idiot.

• Upvote 5

McNulty is number one on the depth chart and will start at SMU. What all of you Damarcus Smith fans aren't even considering is that he is behind both McNulty and Greer in Chico's and Mac's heads. This offense doesn't even come close to using the strengths that Damarcus Smith offers--its meant for a busdriver, preferably an experienced busdriver. In 2013, that was Derek Thompson, who had an incredible defense and special teams with an easier schedule. In 2015, McNulty will get the first two months to show his stuff, just with a worse defense and special teams and a much, much harder schedule. My guess is that we will see MiniMac start the first four games. If we lose at USM, then we will see another QB against might Portland State. If that QB doesn't get it done, MiniMac will get the job back by the time we play UTSA at home, as Mac is going to go with the QB that has the best chance at beating the RoadBirds.

I see two for-sure wins on this schedule: @SMU and at home against Portland State. If you cannot win those two, you won't beat anyone else. But assuming you can, @USM, UTSA, and UTEP remian your best chances for wins. Win 2 of those three and it gets us to 4-8, which I think is about where we will finish.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1