Who makes it rain among Texas G5 teams

outoftown

Interesting article.  Here are some things I took from it:

- Wow Houston (a state non-private school) is paying TWICE as much for their head coach than UNT?  UNT BOR and Dr. Smatresk ought to take that into account.  Houston is not SMU financially and is clearly committing to moving up in conference affiliation.

- McCarney needs a good year for a lot of reasons.  UNT made a significant commitment to his ability after the bowl win.

- UTSA is getting the most bang for their buck and UTEP is right there as well. 

- Our top paid non coordinator assistant Nick Quartaro is very well compensated in terms of peer schools.

- We pay Mac similar to Baliff at Rice. 

I feel like we aren't getting the return we should get for the money we do spend. 

It's an odd situation next season because I would think that under normal circumstances a coach facing potentially a fourth losing season out of five would be firmly planted on the hot seat.  But, given the ridiculous five home game/two money game schedule, I highly doubt the AD expects anything too much this time around.

• Upvote 1

It's an odd situation next season because I would think that under normal circumstances a coach facing potentially a fourth losing season out of five would be firmly planted on the hot seat.  But, given the ridiculous five home game/two money game schedule, I highly doubt the AD expects anything too much this time around.

​If Mac doesn't win 6 games in 2015 or 2016 we'll have a new HC in 2017. And if that happens, I'd expect a new AD will make that hire.

• Upvote 2

​If Mac doesn't win 6 games in 2015 or 2016 we'll have a new HC in 2017. And if that happens, I'd expect a new AD will make that hire.

​2017 will be Mac's last season, unless we win no more than 2 games combined in the next two seasons. We won 1 game in 2008 and 2 games in 2009 and still brought back Todd Dodge for 2010, just because we didn't want to absorb two years of a contract that didn't pay more than $300k annually, IIRC. We sure as hell aren't buying out a contract for multiple years that costs over $600k per year. That's known cost versus opportunity cost--we don't run on anything but known cost. Look at Tony Benford--his magical run of crushing the progress of the basketball success is getting a 4th year, since it would've cost the university an extra $400k to dump him after last season's dumpster fire perfromance (again).

If Mac is not allowed to finish out his contract or get extended in 2017, RV will still be the athletic director here--unless the department doesn't stay in budget or he complains loudly about funding, two things he hasn't done in 14 years on the job here.

It sucks, but you just have to accept it or leave. There are no other alternatives here until the BOR and administration decide otherwise. And judging by their track record, I wouldn't hold my breath.

• Upvote 2

Interesting article.  Here are some things I took from it:

- Wow Houston (a state non-private school) is paying TWICE as much for their head coach than UNT?  UNT BOR and Dr. Smatresk ought to take that into account.  Houston is not SMU financially and is clearly committing to moving up in conference affiliation.

- McCarney needs a good year for a lot of reasons.  UNT made a significant commitment to his ability after the bowl win.

- UTSA is getting the most bang for their buck and UTEP is right there as well. 

- Our top paid non coordinator assistant Nick Quartaro is very well compensated in terms of peer schools.

- We pay Mac similar to Baliff at Rice. 

​Harry, I like your analysis of the article.  However, what is not known about the contracts are the base figures and incentives. 

For UNT, I am somewhat puzzled about who was sold a bill of goods and how much politics played to give Mac a long term contract and buyout amounts?  Yes, he did take us to a bowl, but  begin to complain about the lack of a QB for the following year to down play the season.  However, that blame lays at his feet.  UNT did make a significant commitment to Mac to right the ship but I am waiting for him to justify his contract with wins!!!    

IMHO, this coming season will be the year of focus on sports by  Dr. Smatresk.  There will be a top to bottom evaluation of athletics and maybe some changes.  I would not be surprised if Mac has a bad year that he would be shifted from HC to promote UNT as a big fund raiser for UNT athletics since he is an outstanding motivator and speaker.  Also, Benson is on the hot seat and will be gone if he cannot win 70% of his games. Softball will be closely reviewed and the chips will lay where they fall.  On baseball, I think we might just raise the funds in 2015/2016 to complete a baseball stadium capable of seating 3,000 with the ability to expand to 6,000+ so that in the future we could host both HS championships and maybe C-USA tournament.

GMG

• Upvote 2

I live in Houston again, you could've stumped me. UH is hella irrelevant. Not saying we are more relevant, but all that money at UH isn't going to anything worthwhile.

​I have to agree. My parents and brother live in Houston, and U of H gets no support down there. Not that we get it in DFW either. I think it is safe to say that for the most part the Houston and Dallas markets only pay attention to the pro sports and P5 conferences.

​I have to agree. My parents and brother live in Houston, and U of H gets no support down there. Not that we get it in DFW either. I think it is safe to say that for the most part the Houston and Dallas markets only pay attention to the pro sports and P5 conferences.

​No doubt. I was born and raised there, and Houston hasn't been anywhere close to a Cougar town since the ancient days of Phi Slamma Jamma. I do give them credit for improved attendance and scheduling since moving back to campus though. I remember sitting through many a game in The Dome, watching good Cougar teams, where pretty much the only sound in the stadium was the QB calling the count and air raid sirens. 

• Upvote 1

​No doubt. I was born and raised there, and Houston hasn't been anywhere close to a Cougar town since the ancient days of Phi Slamma Jamma. I do give them credit for improved attendance and scheduling since moving back to campus though. I remember sitting through many a game in The Dome, watching good Cougar teams, where pretty much the only sound in the stadium was the QB calling the count and air raid sirens. 

​Oh yes, back in the Andre Ware days. Saw several "Run n Shoot" Houston games at the Dome, back near the end of the SWC.

As for their move back on campus... I like their new stadium, but they really need to cover the walls bordering the field. The unfinished concrete looks terrible.

I live in Houston again, you could've stumped me. UH is hella irrelevant. Not saying we are more relevant, but all that money at UH isn't going to anything worthwhile.

He never claimed they were relevant, but compared to us they are. I'd give my left nut for UNT to have the money and expectations that UH has for their athletic programs. 

And "hella"? You could've stumped me. I figured you lived in San Fransico using that word. 

• Upvote 1

Keeping things in perspective, in the big picture UH is on the same level as North Texas. The only thing that will change that is a P5 invite. Good luck with that. 

​They are on the short list of potential P5 candidates out there.  Must be nice.  

Keeping things in perspective, in the big picture UH is on the same level as North Texas. The only thing that will change that is a P5 invite. Good luck with that. 

​A side by side comparison of our 2016 recruiting classes says otherwise if you want me to really be honest here.

​If you're saying we're both G5, of course I can't disagree, but I assume you'd agree that there are teams at different levels within the G5.  I wouldn't say that Idaho is at the same level of UNT.  Would you?  Definitely not at the same level as a Boise State.

The same is true in the P5.  Would you say that Washington State is at the same level as Alabama?

• Upvote 2

I would say that UH and UNT are both metroplex universities that have little to no chance of having a seat at the dinner table. UH of course has a better shot at said table bc of success and current conference affiliation, but make no mistake UH and UNT are currently peers in the big picture. UH has more money than UNT, but comparable to the money grabbers we are peers in that aspect as well. This may be something UH faithful do not want to hear, but it's far closer to the truth (if not the exact truth) than it is being a lie.