Who makes it rain among Texas G5 teams

outoftown

Maybe the AD has expectations. The fans certainly don't. UH has money because the Donald Trump of Houston sits on their BOR and bankrolls them every time they make a bad hire. Would be a nice luxury, not gonna lie, but UH's money stems back to Tillman Fertita, and him only.

Also, UH on the shortlist for P5? In what conference? Unless UT leaves, sending the 12 into a mad panic, there's a better shot of a blizzard in Houston.

​The Robertson and Moores families haven't exactly provided U of H with chicken feed either. We have a couple of very nice high dollar donors, but nothing like the wealthy donors that have thrown megabucks at U of H over the years. Hopefully this will somehow eventually change with the huge Metroplex growth toward Denton.

​The Robertson and Moores families haven't exactly provided U of H with chicken feed either. We have a couple of very nice high dollar donors, but nothing like the wealthy donors that have thrown megabucks at U of H over the years. Hopefully this will somehow eventually change with the huge Metroplex growth toward Denton.

​Do you think UH is bankrolled anything like mega donors at other schools?  TCU's stadium remake was paid for by less than 10 donors.  Oregon's entire program is funded by 1 guy.  Okie State is funded by T Boone.  Baylor's stadium was paid for by 1 guy.  UH has some decent size donors, but nothing like other schools.  I wish we had some mega donors who donate as much as these other schools.

Baylor's stadium was paid for by 1 guy.  

Actually one guy contributed around 40% and the rest was from a LOT of smaller donations. Being a private school, Baylor was able to move money around more freely than state schools can. Donations to the new business school, scholarships and other places counted as donations to the stadium for season ticket purposes which greatly increased donations to every part of the university. 

I like what U of H is doing overall. They are showing a commitment to excellence even if it isn't happening yet. They act like they are a P5 school in many ways. They are doing a good job of "fake it till you make it." 

​Do you think UH is bankrolled anything like mega donors at other schools?  TCU's stadium remake was paid for by less than 10 donors.  Oregon's entire program is funded by 1 guy.  Okie State is funded by T Boone.  Baylor's stadium was paid for by 1 guy.  UH has some decent size donors, but nothing like other schools.  I wish we had some mega donors who donate as much as these other schools.

Back in the 90's, ​Moores gave UH the largest donation ever in the history of a U.S. public university, and you probably wouldn't even have an athletic program if it weren't for the Robertsons/Cullens. You all haven't done too badly in the bigwig donation department over the years. Btw, McClain was certainly the lead donor for Baylor's new stadium, but a couple of other guys along with the city footed about a third of the bill, which is more than the entire cost of Apogee.   

• Upvote 1

Back in the 90's, ​Moores gave UH the largest donation ever in the history of a U.S. public university, and you probably wouldn't even have an athletic program if it weren't for the Robertsons/Cullens. You all haven't done too badly in the bigwig donation department over the years. Btw, McClain was certainly the lead donor for Baylor's new stadium, but a couple of other guys along with the city footed about a third of the bill, which is more than the entire cost of Apogee.   

​Moores' donation was $51.4 million, a HUGE donation.  Still not close to over the $500mm T Boone has donated to Okie State with half of that to athletics.  About $25mm went to athletics, $11.5mm to the Optometry school, $10.2mm to Music school, plus others.  So less than half went to athletics.

But you act like UH is the only school that has big donors.  Almost every major program has huge donors.  If UNT doesn't have one, that's a UNT problem.   But UNT had a donation of $22mm in 2011.  Not a small amount.  He just didn't donate to athletics.  Also had an $8mm donation that year.  Again with nothing towards athletics.

Don't complain about others getting huge donations.  Get your own.  Would I love for Fertitta or someone else to donate 1/2 a billion to UH, for athletics or academics or both?  Definitely.  But I don't begrudge others because they've had that. 

Actually one guy contributed around 40% and the rest was from a LOT of smaller donations. Being a private school, Baylor was able to move money around more freely than state schools can. Donations to the new business school, scholarships and other places counted as donations to the stadium for season ticket purposes which greatly increased donations to every part of the university. 

​Do we know how much McClane donated?  Forbes claimed $200mm which McClane denied.  But regarding smaller donations, I believe that at least 2 others were over $20mm each.

Really doesn't matter for the discussion.  They have huge donors, bigger than UH so don't single out UH for its large donors when many schools have them.

​Moores' donation was $51.4 million, a HUGE donation.  Still not close to over the $500mm T Boone has donated to Okie State with half of that to athletics.  About $25mm went to athletics, $11.5mm to the Optometry school, $10.2mm to Music school, plus others.  So less than half went to athletics.

But you act like UH is the only school that has big donors.  Almost every major program has huge donors.  If UNT doesn't have one, that's a UNT problem.   But UNT had a donation of $22mm in 2011.  Not a small amount.  He just didn't donate to athletics.  Also had an $8mm donation that year.  Again with nothing towards athletics.

Don't complain about others getting huge donations.  Get your own.  Would I love for Fertitta or someone else to donate 1/2 a billion to UH, for athletics or academics or both?  Definitely.  But I don't begrudge others because they've had that. 

​Begrudge and complain? Dude (or dudette) you've obviously got a problem, because I didn't begrudge or complain about anything. I simply stated facts. Btw, are the Cougars so broke now that they cannot even afford their own message board?  I guess that explains your presence and attitude. You win. UH is obviously dead broke relative to all of the schools that you idolize. 

• Upvote 1