Tina Slinker: Support for new coach wanted

Harry

EDITOR’S NOTE: Tina Slinker is North Texas’ winningest women’s basketball coach with 241 victories in 19 seasons at the school from 1989 to 2008 and is now the athletic director at The Hockaday School in Dallas. New UNT head coach Jalie Mitchell, a member of the school’s Hall of Fame, played for Slinker from 1998-2002, when the Mean Green posted a 77-39 record and advanced to the Women’s NIT in 2001 and 2002. UNT has not posted a winning season in its past nine under four coaches since Slinker guided the Mean Green to a 19-win season in the 2005-06 campaign.

I have spent 26 years being involved in and now following the women’s basketball program at North Texas. I am writing in hopes of accumulating support, not that she needs it, for newly named head coach, Jalie Mitchell, one of UNT’s finest and someone who can re-establish alumni support and lead the program in a positive and productive direction.

Mitchell needs your support and understanding of the task involved.

For the past seven years since my contract was not renewed, I have followed the program and thought a great deal about why it continues to struggle. I understand better today, than ever, that it was certainly time for a change and remain hopeful that the program can regain the respect it once had.

Read more: http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/sports-headlines/20150411-tina-slinker-support-for-new-coach-wanted1.ece

I always thought Slinker was a classy woman. Hell, to show up at the basketball banquet after your contract wasn't renewed (so technically not fired, but basically she was) and say nothing but positive stuff about the school was the epitome of class IMHO.

• Upvote 4

I always thought Slinker was a classy woman. Hell, to show up at the basketball banquet after your contract wasn't renewed (so technically not fired, but basically she was) and say nothing but positive stuff about the school was the epitome of class IMHO.

With her overall winning %, shouldn't she have been very, very thankful UNT kept her employed as many years as they did?
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 8

Always a gracious lady, always speaks highly of UNT and appears to hold no hard feelings regarding her dismissal from UNT. She had a long run at UNT and has a nice gig going now. She has been back on campus several times since her departure. A real professional this lady.

With her overall winning %, shouldn't she have been very, very thankful UNT kept her employed as many years as they did?

Well, from what I have read/heard, she got next to no (financial or otherwise) support from the Athletic Department her first ten years or so. So, she could have raised Title IX issues if she had really wanted to. Again, she was a good soldier and just made do.

She also had a winning team in one of the worst stretches of NT history in the two big sports (aka my time in college), so I'll always have good vibes for her because of that.

She was always first class in my book. That is why I really took issue with Stephenson and her depiction of many in the squad she inherited as being undisciplined and trouble makers. Amber Jackson, would have been an easy HOF inductee if not for being suspended multiple times by Stephenson. Stephenson shouldn't have lasted past her first year.

Well, from what I have read/heard, she got next to no (financial or otherwise) support from the Athletic Department her first ten years or so. So, she could have raised Title IX issues if she had really wanted to. Again, she was a good soldier and just made do.

She also had a winning team in one of the worst stretches of NT history in the two big sports (aka my time in college), so I'll always have good vibes for her because of that.

Just asking...not disputing...what is your source for that comment about the lack of support? I have never heard her comment on such even in our conversations back in the day when she was coaching. Again, not disputing you...just interested in where this is coming from. You do realize that no women's sport got much "support" back during those days of which you speak, right? And it was not unique to UNT. Many departments were struggling with budget issues created by Title IX realities and the expansion of opportunities for women athletes.

In the case of UNT back in that day, donations from supporters were not any better...and really lower...than they are today. Where folks thought the abundance of funds to support Title IX initiatives was going to come from is beyond me. Plus...you want non-support? Ask the men's soccer program about that before you feel women's BB was slighted.

But, if you can recall the source of this information I would love to know...like I said I have heard this before yet never heard Coach Slinker mention it at all. If true...really a sad situation. But, sign of he times perhaps.

First class lady for sure. Just wish she had more success on the court. She apparently did extremely well, however, given the lack of resources if that were the case.

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Just asking...not disputing...what is your source for that comment about the lack of support? I have never heard her comment on such even in our conversations back in the day when she was coaching. Again, not disputing you...just interested in where this is coming from. You do realize that no women's sport got much "support" back during those days of which you speak, right? And it was not unique to UNT. Many departments were struggling with budget issues created by Title IX realities and the expansion of opportunities for women athletes.

In the case of UNT back in that day, donations from supporters were not any better...and really lower...than they are today. Where folks thought the abundance of funds to support Title IX initiatives was going to come from is beyond me. Plus...you want non-support? Ask the men's soccer program about that before you feel women's BB was slighted.

But, if you can recall the source of this information I would love to know...like I said I have heard this before yet never heard Coach Slinker mention it at all. If true...really a sad situation. But, sign of he times perhaps.

First class lady for sure. Just wish she had more success on the court. She apparently did extremely well, however, given the lack of resources if that were the case.

Sure other programs weren't supported. Men's Tennis was also cancelled - my private instructor in HS was the coach right as the team got eliminated.

Where have I heard about the lack of support for Slinker? From several people, including on this very board in her final season.

• Upvote 2

• Upvote 1

Support for Tina was tiny back in the days, but so was support for many other 'minor sports.' Women's basketball was just catching fire nationally and generally just a sport to appease the feds relative to title IX for the most part. Tina never complained, but was promoted in her last years to Assistant AD for women's sports.

Support for Tina was tiny back in the days, but so was support for many other 'minor sports.' Women's basketball was just catching fire nationally and generally just a sport to appease the feds relative to title IX for the most part. Tina never complained, but was promoted in her last years to Assistant AD for women's sports.

Now...this is a credible source. As I suspected. Nothing directed toward Coach Slinker and her program in particular, just the norm for the day in the "minor sports". Always good to hear from someone who was there, involved on a day to day basis and can speak from experience. Thanks. I forgot that she was later promoted to Assistant AD. Good catch, drex.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If it hasn't already happened yet the first thing that needs addressed to help support Jalie is convert women's season tickets back to being actual season tickets, not "General Admission" tickets.

Rick

Until consistent winning takes place at North Texas all tickets to all games are general admission, unfortunately. If you want to dictate where parents sit then be my guess. I think spreading out 200 people to make 200 people look like 200 people is redundant. Hell, spreading out 2k people to make 2k people look like 2k people is a bit redundant as well. See what I'm doing here... What you speak of is a tiny, superficial almost microscopic scratch to the real problems in North Texas athletics.

But with that said, put a winning product together I'll gladly come watch WBB. I (we) endure enough losing in men's sports as it is.

• Upvote 1

Until consistent winning takes place at North Texas all tickets to all games are general admission, unfortunately. If you want to dictate where parents sit then be my guess. I think spreading out 200 people to make 200 people look like 200 people is redundant. Hell, spreading out 2k people to make 2k people look like 2k people is a bit redundant as well. See what I'm doing here... What you speak of is a tiny, superficial almost microscopic scratch to the real problems in North Texas athletics.

But with that said, put a winning product together I'll gladly come watch WBB. I (we) endure enough losing in men's sports as it is.

I think it's more about taking ourselves seriously enough to sell actual seats rather than an attempt to make the crowd look bigger.

If it hasn't already happened yet the first thing that needs addressed to help support Jalie is convert women's season tickets back to being actual season tickets, not "General Admission" tickets.

Rick

How is assigned seating for season ticket holders a show of support for a coach?

• Upvote 1

With all due respect to women's basketball, is catching fire really the appropriate term here? I guess it's all relative, but..

How is assigned seating for season ticket holders a show of support for a coach?

Obviously, Rick can answer for himself, but I feel like a division 1 team should give season ticket holders the option to pick their own seats. If game day purchases are GA so be it, that way you don't have to print a bunch of potentially unused tickets.

Since most here who are discussing seats at the women's games do not attend the games, I guess they did not realize that season ticket holders should they wish, have reserved seat covers placed on their seats for the women's games. Thus, they have their assigned seats. Season ticket holders who did not care about that simply sat where they wished. I sat in reserved and marked seats all season that belonged to a friend of mine who also attended. I simply did not care about having the covers placed on my seats. So, actually, the athletic department accommodated everyone who wanted their seats "reserved". Worked very well.

When enough people care enough to actually support the program, I am sure that assigned season ticket seats will return. In the meantime, the current system works very well. And, avoids the costs associated with having to police assigned seats for every game.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Since most here who are discussing seats at the women's games do not attend the games, I guess they did not realize that season ticket holders should they wish, have reserved seat covers placed on their seats for the women's games. Thus, they have their assigned seats. Season ticket holders who did not care about that simply sat where they wished. I sat in reserved and marked seats all season that belonged to a friend of mine who also attended. I simply did not care about having the covers placed on my seats. So, actually, the athletic department accommodated everyone who wanted their seats "reserved". Worked very well.

When enough people care enough to actually support the program, I am sure that assigned season ticket seats will return. In the meantime, the current system works very well. And, avoids the costs associated with having to police assigned seats for every game.

This sounds like an effective compromise, but why the compromise? It seems like more work than having the actual system in place.

This sounds like an effective compromise, but why the compromise? It seems like more work than having the actual system in place.

Very few cared to have official reserved seats...took less than 5 min. To install before each game. No biggie at all. Plus...much much less expensive than having to hire all the "ushers" for each game like they do for the men's games. When you don't have to police the seats and aisles you need many fewer workers. Saves cash. Much much less work, less trouble printing and issuing season tickets as well. For the few of us who bothered to buy season tickets, there was some initial angst over the "general admission" policy change, but the athletic department was very open to finding a compromise that worked. Both sides handled it politely and professionally and we're open to compromise. Things tend to work out when that's the case. They did...people were fine with it.