MGB: Tuesday practice wrap with QB update

Brett Vito

Just shocking that McNulty is the #1 QB--its almost as if Coach Mac trusts him more than anyone else on the roster at QB...oh wait...

Andrew McNulty will be under center in Dallas for the opener in our alternate home game. And he will get the majority of snaps all season long. He is the Bus Driver du Jour here. The DT comparisons are about to get put into overdrive in the upcoming months, even if McNulty isn't as good as DT was here.

I thought we would win about 3-4 games with DT as our QB in 2013, but our defense and special teams were so awesome, we won 9 games instead. I don't see either of those being close to that 2013 team and our QB play is worse, all while we add in a much harder schedule and only 5 home games. Winning more than 4 games in 2015 would be strongly exceeding expectations to me. I see SMU, Portland State, UTEP, and UTSA as possible wins. After that, they are all either probable losses or just collect the check and hope it doesn't bounce losses.

2016 is the year to get back to 5 or 6 wins, then 2017 is when I see us getting back to that 7+ win plateau again--and that is being optimistic. If we cannot get a decent QB in here to run the most boring offense in the country and actually make decent throws down field, the next three seasons under Coach Mac may not combine to give us 10 wins. I think you have to ready yourself for that possibility if he cannot make any head way with better QBs than we have had since he's been here, unless, of course, we get back to a defense and special teams play like we had in 2013 or under Dickey from 2002-2004. That's the only way you can win here with this offensive philosophy. Otherwise, in the Dickey/Mac years, you have averaged a little over 3 wins when the defense and ST aren't awesome.

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 1

A couple of thoughts:

Dillman will be the most talented QB on this roster come the fall. This guy was gonna be the most talented QB on Nebraska's roster so why wouldn't he be the same on ours? Doesn't mean much, because as most have pointed out our coaching staff has trouble developing a QB.

Smith can easily pass McNulty for the starting job in the fall. It wont take much to supplant McNulty. McNulty is just keeping the seat warm until Smith gets here.

Even if McNulty wins the job and keeps it for the whole year and plays good it still wont lead to a bowl game. This team needs more than just a bus driver of an offense that complements a strong defense. Just my feeling that defense is going to struggle this year. So our offense needs to be pretty explosive.

The defense will struggle because we are replacing a lot of leadership positions and have a new DC. I expect to see a lot of communication issues and players out of position early in the year. The only way the defense is saved is if the defensive line balls out.

UNT is moving to more of a fast-paced offense that will be simplified from last season. The idea is to give UNT’s quarterbacks less to think about and allow them to go and play the game. That should help Williams, who UNT has always liked from the standpoint of his raw athletic ability.

So we are dumbing down the offense? It wasn't all that sophisticated to begin with. We're just giving up on the notion that "certain" QB candidates need to buckle down and learn the play book?

If that's the case, then we can look forward to more UAB-like follies for the 2015 season. Because I guarantee you, if "certain" QB's are out there being put under extreme pressure they are going to continue to do dumb things.........even with a dumb offense.

• Upvote 1

Dillman wants to play in the league, he will not be an NFL qb at North Texas, but maybe a NFL tight end.

I also agree with 2 sacks of Cougar High quarterback Eagle that Dajon can still be great for us if given the chance, although I still prefer Thriily D Williams to the windmill.

So you write off potentially the most talented QB because he's 5'10"? I don't give a crap about who Mac wants and what size he prefers, none of his recruits at QB have panned out or been developed worth a crap by Canales. If the kid is 5'10" and talented, give him a shot because it won't be any worse than last year. There have been a number of QB's shorter than 6'0" that have been extremely successful on both the pro and college level, and we are in no place to be holding out for someone that has the right measurables. Hell, we have that with Dillman, and they won't give him a shot either. Just doesn't make any sense, and Billy, I don't care who, what, when or where they were recruited. The best should be on the field...period.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

So you write off the most talented QB because he's 5'10"? I don't give a crap about who Mac wants and what size he prefers, none of his recruits at QB have panned out or been developed worth a crap by Canales. If the kid is 5'10" and talented, give him a shot because it won't be any worse than last year. There have been a number of QB's shorter than 6'0" that have been extremely successful on both the pro and college level, and we are in no place to be holding out for someone that has the right measurables. Hell, we have that with Dillman, and they won't give him a shot either. Just doesn't make any sense, and Billy, I don't care who, what, when or where they were recruited. The best should be on the field...period.

Who said anything about being the "most talented QB"? Silver likes him, SSP likes him. Other than that...

I think if he were the "most talented QB" on the roster, he'd get a chance to start because the other options are not the "most talented QB's".

MGB video: Dan McCarney talks about where UNT stands in spring practice

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2015/03/mgb-video-dan-mccarney-talks-about-where-unt-stands-in-spring.html/

I like that he mentions the Carthage boys without hesitation when asked who he sees stepping up so far this Spring. That's a very good thing. Can't have Harris out there doing it by himself again this season. And if they're really helping, that could open up seams in the middle for more Marcus Smith.

Who said anything about being the "most talented QB"? Silver likes him, SSP likes him. Other than that...

I think if he were the "most talented QB" on the roster, he'd get a chance to start because the other options are not the "most talented QB's".

I like what I've seen but that's been pretty limited. I just found out from a neutral source that he hasn't been out there because of turf toe. The same neutral source, as well as SSP, say that he is a football "genius" and helps the other QB's with their "mechanics" as well as the play book. We all just heard from SSP that he is now healed. That would seem to be the case since BV reported that they had him working with special teams yesterday. You can't do that unless your wheels are working good. AND from SSP's post that linked his tweet, he seems to be a weight room fanatic.

SO, just how outwardly motivated does someone need to be before they can at least ONCE trot out there during practice and (as the British might say) "give it a go" in 11 on 11.

Like Lifer, I don't give a fats rats ass if he's 5'10". Could he possibly throw more int's than McNulty and/or Williams?

And if you think that the coaches ALWAYS give a chance to the most talented QB's out there, let me remind you about Mr. Greer.

I'm beginning to believe that the coaches are letting their egos get in the way regarding evaluating the QB's. They don't want to admit that they made a mistake bringing someone in, when they had perfectly viable candidates already on board.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

There's a lot that can happen between now and SMU.

If there's a time to take risks or give someone a shot- it's now.

Week 3 and 6 is not the time to make drastic offensive changes. My only question is:

If the staff had that much faith in him- why did it take 2 quarterback failures and six weeks for them to name him the starter LAST YEAR? Has he really gotten that much better? To be fair, we see the improvement in other players and comment on it all the time. It's not like McNulty has been in a time capsule through the winter. I guess we will see on Saturday.

• Upvote 1

So you write off the most talented QB because he's 5'10"? I don't give a crap about who Mac wants and what size he prefers, none of his recruits at QB have panned out or been developed worth a crap by Canales. If the kid is 5'10" and talented, give him a shot because it won't be any worse than last year. There have been a number of QB's shorter than 6'0" that have been extremely successful on both the pro and college level, and we are in no place to be holding out for someone that has the right measurables. Hell, we have that with Dillman, and they won't give him a shot either. Just doesn't make any sense, and Billy, I don't care who, what, when or where they were recruited. The best should be on the field...period.

I'm not telling you I, personally, think Shanbour should not be given a chance. Or that I, personally, don't think a QB under 6' deserves a chance. I'm just saying that Mccarney clearly wants tall quarterbacks and does not want to run an offense that would help neutralize a short QBs' inherent disadvantages (i.e. a shotgun heavy offense).

For him to play he would have to be so good that Coach Mccarney is willing to change his offensive philosophy to better suit Shanbour. Right now they've already stated there are only 4 QBs who will be given the reps to legitimately compete for the starting job (Mcnulty, Greer, Means, and Dajon). I'm just trying to realistically explain Shanbour's chances, not whether or not it is fair. I definitely agree that Coach Mccarney's QB decisions and evaluations have every right to be questioned by us fans, given the lack of results.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 1

I'm not telling you I, personally, think Shanbour should not be given a chance. Or that I, personally, don't think a QB under 6' deserves a chance. I'm just saying that Mccarney clearly wants tall quarterbacks and does not want to run an offense that would help neutralize a short QBs' inherent disadvantages (i.e. a shotgun heavy offense).

For him to play he would have to be so good that Coach Mccarney is willing to change his offensive philosophy to better suit Shanbour. Right now they've already stated there are only 4 QBs who will be given the reps to legitimately compete for the starting job (Mcnulty, Greer, Means, and Dajon). I'm just trying to realistically explain Shanbour's chances, not whether or not it is fair. I definitely agree that Coach Mccarney's QB decisions and evaluations have every right to be questioned by us fans, given the lack of results.

I have a hard time calling McNulty a "tall QB," since I did the "stand next to test" (which someone on this board made famous) around 2 and a half years ago, and he didn't even look to be quite a legit 6 footer to me. I guess maybe he could have grown a couple of inches since then. Regardless, I just hope this staff (and a certain QB) wakes up to the QB situation and lets the best man win regardless of size or stature. I'm afraid that we're going to have a tough time winning without getting a major spark from the position.

• Upvote 2

The Dillman story is one of the most bizzar things I've read this year. Not just the debate on where he will or should play(he will be a wasted talent at tight end) but his ineligibility to play varsity in HS last year as well.

Rick

I agree. If he wants to play TE in the NFL, then he can move there after he graduates. If he is the best QB on our roster, or one of the best, then he should play QB. Unfortunately, we will probably never know.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1

If you are referring to JC stats, he was average.

If you are referring to JC stats, he was average.

Please at least take the time to write the facts. He had just lead his JC team to the National #1 ranking and was placed on front page NCAAJC Webb site. He then suffered an injury that sidelined him until the playoff game at the end of the season and the bowl game. So to say his stats were average are misleading. The team lost the next several games without him at QB and fell out of contention, so I do think it showed he was making the difference. He came back while not being fully healed and lead the team to a come from behind win in the bowl game In the last seconds.

In regard to practice, yes he did well in the scrimmage. 100% comp. percentage, 1 75 yard TD pass, 1 20 yard TD pass in the back corner of the end zone, and ran a 9 yard QB draw for a running TD against the ones on a 3rd and goal. No Int. ( the other QB's had Int some had more than one) I know our favorite reporter did not mention any if this but the Mean Green Football site did. Practice does in fact matter for those that never played sports. Name me a QB that always sucked in practice and then was named the starter? And yes he knows the entire playbook and the pre-snap reads! Notice who the other QB's speak to when they come to the sideline! May never see the field again but continued to be a team player and always was helping the other QB's during the games. Just a good kid busting his tail to be the best he can be and to help his teammates be the best they can be as well. Just gets tired of the people that hide behind a screen and attack some of these players. I know you have the right to write whatever you desire even if not accurate but just wish that it would not be forgotten that these are not professionals, they are young men who just love the game and most are giving their all to be better.

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 2

Please at least take the time to write the facts. He had just lead his JC team to the National #1 ranking and was placed on front page NCAAJC Webb site. He then suffered an injury that sidelined him until the playoff game at the end of the season and the bowl game. So to say his stats were average are misleading. The team lost the next several games without him at QB and fell out of contention, so I do think it showed he was making the difference. He came back while not being fully healed and lead the team to a come from behind win in the bowl game In the last seconds.

In regard to practice, yes he did well in the scrimmage. 100% comp. percentage, 1 75 yard TD pass, 1 20 yard TD pass in the back corner of the end zone, and ran a 9 yard QB draw for a running TD against the ones on a 3rd and goal. No Int. ( the other QB's had Int some had more than one) I know our favorite reporter did not mention any if this but the Mean Green Football site did. Practice does in fact matter for those that never played sports. Name me a QB that always sucked in practice and then was named the starter? And yes he knows the entire playbook and the pre-snap reads! Notice who the other QB's speak to when they come to the sideline! May never see the field again but continued to be a team player and always was helping the other QB's during the games. Just a good kid busting his tail to be the best he can be and to help his teammates be the best they can be as well. Just gets tired of the people that hide behind a screen and attack some of these players. I know you have the right to write whatever you desire even if not accurate but just wish that it would not be forgotten that these are not professionals, they are young men who just love the game and most are giving their all to be better.

No one is attacking anyone. We are simply talking about performance. My comments were about Josh's JUCO stats, not his leadership ability or whether or not he is a good kid and works hard (I'm sure he is and does).

Below are his JUCO stats. People can decide for themselves. I believe there is an error in the Yards per game catagory that reads 107. Quick math reveals it should be about 201 YPG:

http://stats.njcaa.org/sports/fball/2013-14/players/joshgreer8vcz

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Is this Josh Greer's dad?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2