MGB: Tuesday practice wrap with QB update

Brett Vito

So, they won't even consider Shanbour? Too bad. I don't think we are in any position to dismiss any candidates, scholarship or not.

That tweet SSP posted indicated that Shanbour is 5'10". That honestly might eliminate him from contention by default.

Plenty of QBs 6' and shorter have become very good FBS QBs, but in our system, with Mccarney, he likes tall QBs and running primarily under center the first few downs. It would be one thing if we had Shanbour in shotgun all game, but to have a 5'10" guy throwing from under center could be a major problem. That's why, if you look at the QBs we've offered under Mccarney, they've almost exclusively been 6'2", usually 6'3" and up, with the exception of Mcnulty, who is legitimately 6'1" and obviously wouldn't have been recruited here had there not been familiarity there. Fair or not, that's a major factor to consider.

Good to hear about Dajon having a good day. Hope he continues to raise and get back in favor with the coaches. Also, I know every indication had been that Dillman is going to play tight end here. I'm not saying that's not going to happen. I'm just saying I don't think Mccarney has earned the trust to not have any of his QB evaluations and decisions questioned. Or Coach Walsh, whose QBs have not had great success on the college level. At least not as long as we have so much uncertainty and question marks with the young QBs currently on the roster.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Anyone else depressed about our quarterback situation? Maybe DaMarcus Smith can be our savior in the fall but if McNulty is the best we've got then we won't win 5 games with our schedule.

3 wins with McNulty as the best option.

Everyone better pray Smith gets eligible and that he can actually play.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

3 wins with McNulty as the best option.

Everyone better pray Smith gets eligible and that he can actually play.

I mean, if we're only gonna win three games, can we just put Greer out there? I kinda like his little happy feet penguin dance when he's under pressure. I makes me forget all about the scoreboard for a few blissful seconds.

• Upvote 3

I mean, if we're only gonna win three games, can we just put Greer out there? I kinda like his little happy feet penguin dance when he's under pressure. I makes me forget all about the scoreboard for a few blissful seconds.

Watching Greer play made me want to cry. Let's go with Dajon since he provides not only some exciting plays but some hilariously bad plays. In the UAB game he had some turnovers that I would have laughed so much if it hadn't been for my team.

Edited by NorthTexan95
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Watching Greer play made me want to cry. Let's go with Dajon since he provides not only some exciting plays but some hilariously bad plays. In the UAB game he had some turnovers that I would have laughed so much if it hadn't been for my team.

I'm sensing a new strategy here. Going with the "best in practice" has gotten us nowhere. Let's instead aim for "Quarterback with the most embarrassing screw ups on ESPN sports night." If going with the best keeps backfiring, maybe we should engage in a race to the bottom, throw out the worst, and see if it will backfire in a good way.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

UNT is moving to more of a fast-paced offense that will be simplified from last season. The idea is to give UNT’s quarterbacks less to think about and allow them to go and play the game. That should help Williams, who UNT has always liked from the standpoint of his raw athletic ability.

This is exactly right. And it doesn't sound like an offense that is geared around having an experienced senior as the starter. It sounds like an offense geared for somebody else... :ninja:

• Upvote 3

This is exactly right. And it doesn't sound like an offense that is geared around having an experienced senior as the starter. It sounds like an offense geared for somebody else... :ninja:

even if its mcnulty (might as well prepare myself)

a fast paced, simplified offense will help his game since one of his assets is running. hopefully the simplified offense gets more playmakers on the field. player with some speed.

glad to hear rex was in there...but then again, we got fooled this time last year with the backs.

I'm confused.

You just cited 2 NFL quarterbacks.

I guess you can call Lee a NFL QB even though he got cut before the regular season. Saying Kirby Freeman was a NFL QB is like saying Derek Thompson was an NFL QB. I don't think he ever made it to a training camp.

The point was all 3 were disappointments with the hype and expectations that surrounded them coming out of HS.

I guess you can call Lee a NFL QB even though he got cut before the regular season. Saying Kirby Freeman was a NFL QB is like saying Derek Thompson was an NFL QB. I don't think he ever made it to a training camp.

The point was all 3 were disappointments with the hype and expectations that surrounded them coming out of HS.

Soooo...

We are suggesting that Walsh has a low success rate producing QB's based on the knowledge that they weren't 5 star, 7 figure pro quarterbacks? Just trying to understand correctly.....

Edited by SSP
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yeah, that was my point. None of them ever locked down a starting QB spot for a whole season. Freeman never passed for 1000 yards in a season. If you think about it, there are about 50 senior QBs and only 32 NFL teams. When you eliminate the QBs who are too short or don't have strong enough arms, guys like Freeman get rookie and training camp invites, even if they weren't all that good college QBs.

But none of those QBs ever won a starting QB job before the season and held onto it for an entire season. That's my point.

Soooo...

We are suggesting that Walsh has a low success rate producing QB's based on the knowledge that they weren't 5 star, 7 figure pro quarterbacks? Just trying to understand correctly.....

No. We're not evaluating them by their rating out of high school or their NFL earnings. We're basing our evaluations of them based on their success in college, and none of them ever held a starting job for 1 full season. Maybe they aren't busts, but they didn't live up to their hype, as meangreen15 said. Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1