UNT President NT Daily Inverview

Talks everything from sports, to eagle advantage, to marketing, to Denton's development (sack & save, sub-urbanizing growth); so I take it that he reads the board.

Here's some interesting excerpts

DL: Sporting event attendance is pretty poor, especially basketball. We remember football season. How does this need to be addressed and what is being done?

NS: Winning teams have a way of drawing attendance, but the Green Brigade and some of our boosters have, I think, the potential to make it more of an event to come to games here. I love students — whether it’s Mean Green Man, or some of the others — I love when students dress up and act up. I think we need to do some more things like the giant faces or specific customs or, you know, traditions that make it more desirable. We need to create better fan experiences. I don’t know if it’s better food, or it’s cheaper tickets — certainly it’s winning teams, which we are going to work on. I would love to see basketball packed. I’ll simply say, I came from a basketball heaven. UNLV had a team that packed the house every single game, and the spirit was electric. You could be sitting down in the arena and there was Flavor Flav, and over there was Steve Wynn, and over here was a billionaire donor. It was the place to be. Now, the question is how do you make your games the place to be? I think in football we’ve come along way. The new stadium’s terrific. I think the Super Pit could probably use a face lift, and it could be dressed up a little bit more.

:

DL: The type of student UNT attracts has a more apathetic opinion toward UNT sports. Is that an issue you are knowledgeable on?

NS: You know, it’s hit or miss. Your suggestion that there is student apathy, there are also students who are just so fan oriented, and so excited about our athletic events. But I do think it’s part of our culture — you know, we’ve gone to this longer orientation period, and I think you’re going to see, progressively, more campus engagement as we build new freshman classes and the size of our freshman classes. And that doesn’t mean campus athletics are for everyone, but they are a wonderful way of bonding people together. Were you at homecoming? The bonfire is pretty awesome. It’s one of the coolest events I’ve seen. I personally thought the dance competition was really interesting. But that made homecoming special, and that made the football game special. Events tied to athletics are one way of engaging students.

http://ntdaily.com/the-real-neal-looking-back-on-first-year-as-president/

Edited by ChristopherRyanWilkes

I would love to see basketball packed. I’ll simply say, I came from a basketball heaven. UNLV had a team that packed the house every single game, and the spirit was electric... ...Now, the question is how do you make your games the place to be? I think in football we’ve come along way. The new stadium’s terrific. I think the Super Pit could probably use a face lift, and it could be dressed up a little bit more.

And the reason UNLV's arena is packed is because there's an expectation of WINNING. I don't care if you build another American Airline Center where the Pit stands, you won't fill it up if you don't put a winning product on the court, night in and night out.

• Upvote 1

Talks everything from sports, to eagle advantage, to marketing, to Denton's development (sack & save, sub-urbanizing growth); so I take it that he reads the board.

Here's some interesting excerpts

:

http://ntdaily.com/the-real-neal-looking-back-on-first-year-as-president/

These are great thoughts by the prez, but unfortunately, we don't have Steve Wynn or that "billionaire donor"... so are these things going to find their way into your budget? Or, are they just musings?

I like that he comes from a school that was known for basketball and he knows that certain schools (like UNT in my opinion) need to excel in basketball if they are going to be known for a sport's team nationally. Look at what SFA did last year in the tourney, just winning one round can make you a national story.

• Upvote 1

This was a great read...Prez S obviously sees pretty much everything going on that needs attention. He knows the potential and he understands what needs to be done. We'll see if action is taken in the future to establish some of the things he was talking about. Whoever did the interview, great job. GMG.

This is probably the most in-depth i've seen a UNT president get into issues that concern the alumni and student base (as evidenced by all the topics being discussed on here in the last few months). I liked his answers for the most part.

These are great thoughts by the prez, but unfortunately, we don't have Steve Wynn or that "billionaire donor"... so are these things going to find their way into your budget? Or, are they just musings?

SMU started winning by investing in a real basketball coach and George Bush is at a bunch of their games along with other local celebrities. Surely he sees that and knows that something has to change.

SMU started winning by investing in a real basketball coach and George Bush is at a bunch of their games along with other local celebrities. Surely he sees that and knows that something has to change.

It would take a leap of faith. One that he would have to convince Lee Jackson & the BOR to buy into, because unlike SMU, the private money to buyout and re-hire just isn't there for UNT.

• Upvote 1

I live in Richmond, VA and VCU packs the house every night. Who know who's sitting in most of those seats? You know who's sitting in the most expensive seats and paying a lot of money to do so? Alumni and folks who live in Richmond. Yes, we need more student turnover ... and we need more alumni coming back for games ... but the lack of support from people in Denton is also a huge problem.

• Upvote 1

NS: Winning teams have a way of drawing attendance, but the Green Brigade and some of our boosters have, I think, the potential to make it more of an event to come to games here.

The optimal word here for the GB is potential. They have the potential to be the greatest spirit organization in the nation, if not the state of Texas, but they prefer to do their own thing......which is not being a football band.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

This is probably the most in-depth i've seen a UNT president get into issues that concern the alumni and student base (as evidenced by all the topics being discussed on here in the last few months). I liked his answers for the most part.

Yeah, no doubt. There is no excuse for the Union being behind schedule, no excuse. It's a renovation, not a new building. 2 years is more than enough time. Fall 15' it must be up and ready to go. The Union will attract a lot of students and interest at UNT. Construction really kills campus vibes and current and prospective students feed off of said vibe. Due to the construction going on that vibe is lacking a little bit. Long drawn out construction projects are so annoying. Since I'm on the subject, University Dr needs to hurry it up. Also, I read somewhere that this I35 expansion isn't suppose to be done until the summer of 2017!! I hope that was read wrong on my part. GMG

I live in Richmond, VA and VCU packs the house every night. Who know who's sitting in most of those seats? You know who's sitting in the most expensive seats and paying a lot of money to do so? Alumni and folks who live in Richmond. Yes, we need more student turnover ... and we need more alumni coming back for games ... but the lack of support from people in Denton is also a huge problem.

But you can't blame Dentonites for not wanting to go watch a losing product -- look at SMU. Their arena was empty just a few years ago and now its the place to be for folks who live in the area. He has been touted as a great fundraiser, maybe he can put those skills to work with our athletic department.

But he will have to convince the BOR to spend the money to make those changes.

I hope he understands the culture he is stepping into when he makes that request.

"Yeah, we love the Square. We love Queenie’s and Hannah’s. We also like many of the littler places."

:-/ Two places I (and many of us regular Dentonites) can't afford to eat. A lot of what he talks about Denton (including convention center, and the folks) sounds like there is still a clear division.

Edited by Aldo

For those keeping up with the Denia thread.. this was interesting as well.

I’ll simply say the demographics suggest Denton will grow, and it will grow rapidly … But Denton will grow, and Denton can plan for it or it can just happen. I think too much of the city’s growth has been unmanaged, and it’s time Denton take a strong look at what kind of community it is wanting to be. There will be people here in Denton who say, “We don’t want that.” But take Frisco, and take Southlake, take Carrolton, take Lewisville, take Grapevine — they’ve all managed to put in higher amenity spaces to retain and draw people in rather than sending them out to other areas. I think it’s time Denton began to develop the kind of quality a city of this size needs. We want to be a partner in that, because we think we can help drive success in Denton.”

Yeah, no doubt. There is no excuse for the Union being behind schedule, no excuse. It's a renovation, not a new building. 2 years is more than enough time. Fall 15' it must be up and ready to go. The Union will attract a lot of students and interest at UNT. Construction really kills campus vibes and current and prospective students feed off of said vibe. Due to the construction going on that vibe is lacking a little bit. Long drawn out construction projects are so annoying. Since I'm on the subject, University Dr needs to hurry it up. Also, I read somewhere that this I35 expansion isn't suppose to be done until the summer of 2017!! I hope that was read wrong on my part. GMG

Where did you hear that the Student Union is behind schedule?

And actually, yes, it is a new building. They're using the skeleton of the old building so it wasn't a complete demolition job like the old Kendall Hall but they're also adding on around the whole building. It's not like the renovation of Sage Hall or Marquis Hall where they gutted the interior and reorganized it.

UNT can't control the I35 expansion project, and that's a long project because of the length of I35 that's being expanded (from 635 to 380) so to expecting it to happen overnight is silly.

~2 years for construction projects - major ones like the BLB or the Union or Apogee seems reasonable to me, especially when site work is necessary such as demolition or foundations need to be set.

• Upvote 1

Where did you hear that the Student Union is behind schedule?

And actually, yes, it is a new building. They're using the skeleton of the old building so it wasn't a complete demolition job like the old Kendall Hall but they're also adding on around the whole building. It's not like the renovation of Sage Hall or Marquis Hall where they gutted the interior and reorganized it.

UNT can't control the I35 expansion project, and that's a long project because of the length of I35 that's being expanded (from 635 to 380) so to expecting it to happen overnight is silly.

~2 years for construction projects - major ones like the BLB or the Union or Apogee seems reasonable to me, especially when site work is necessary such as demolition or foundations need to be set.

See, what you didn't know is that the Union project was turned over to Rick Villareal.

tMc9RHJ.jpg

Easily explains the delays in construction.

ddd05235022ebfebb98448f0df730a41.jpg

• Upvote 2

And actually, yes, it is a new building. They're using the skeleton of the old building so it wasn't a complete demolition job like the old Kendall Hall but they're also adding on around the whole building.

And the "old" building was actually the "old-old" building with another building wrapped around it - in the '70s.