Nate Grimm transferring to North Texas

jtm0097

I'm wondering how he'd be eligible. Even if he's walking on here (which I can't imagine he wouldn't be) he was on scharship at NMSU and you have to sit out if you're transferring from FBS to FBS provided that you were on scholarship at the school you are transferring from. Whether or not the school you're transferring to is putting you on scholarship doesn't matter.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

So let me get this straight . . . as things presently stand, we now have:

Scholarship QBs:

Caleb Chumley

Josh Greer

Andrew McNulty

Connor Means

DaMarcus Smith

Dajon Williams

Walk-ons:

Josh Cousins

Sam Wells

Is Shanbour still around?

And now you're bringing another guy into the picture?

I mean, I hope Nate is a great QB and all, but there must either be a mass position move or a mass exodus out of the program on the way. That's just too many bodies and too few snaps to go around to even begin to evaluate all these guys.

I'm wondering how he'd be eligible. Even if he's walking on here (which I can't imagine he wouldn't be) he was on scharship at NMSU and you have to sit out if you're transferring from FBS to FBS provided that you were on scholarship at the school you are transferring from. Whether or not the school you're transferring to is putting you on scholarship doesn't matter.

Vito said he came at the beginning of fall camp. He sat out 2014. So why wouldn't he be eligible in 2015?

• Upvote 3

Wasn't there a post applauding the approach of getting as many players as possible that have touched the ball and then find a position for them?

We certainly won't carry 10 QBs, but there may be possibilities for at least a couple of them to contribute at other positions, while others probably can't contribute anywhere but QB.

Edit:

Spring practice may be a good show this year, there are lots of questions that need to be answered for sure.

Edited by greenit
  • Upvote 1

Scholarship QBs:

Caleb Chumley

Josh Greer

Andrew McNulty

Connor Means

DaMarcus Smith

Dajon Williams

Walk-ons:

Josh Cousins

Sam Wells

I mean, I hope Nate is a great QB and all, but there must either be a mass position move or a mass exodus out of the program on the way. That's just too many bodies and too few snaps to go around to even begin to evaluate all these guys.

Vito said he came at the beginning of fall camp. He sat out 2014. So why wouldn't he be eligible in 2015?

I posted that before Vito's article. I was thinking that was with NMSU all season, but apparently he was here last semester.

As for the logjam, I think it will at least semi sort itself out. But not nearly as smoothly as if we had recruited the position well and didn't have to sign JUCO qbs in 3 consecutive classes like we have. I think Shanbour may have just been cut after last spring. I would be pretty surprised if Greer and/or Williams don't transfer out before next fall camp. Especially if they're sitting 4th or lower on the depth chart after spring ball.

I have a bit of a dilemma with Chumley. I don't anticipate him sticking at qb, based on watching his film at qb, so I am in the camp that believes his move to tight end is just a matter of time. However, I think the sooner you try and change his position, the greater risk you run of him transferring. He came here mainly because we promised him that he would play qb. If we move him at the first chance then he may feel lied to.

Ideally I hope we land Kevin Dillman. If that happens then we'd probably need Chumley moved to tight end before then. Would Chumley feel lied to if we don't at least let him play qb for a true season (even if he is redshirting)? And then you've got the situation with all the walkon qbs. I think the walkon qbs just may not get many reps during the team portions of spring practice. Especially if we don't have guys transferring out before then.

• Upvote 1

List his limitations (his own or the offense he was given) if you must, but boy do I miss the days when Scott Hall was under center year after year, game after game, practice after practice.

Maybe one day we'll be able to have our season preview articles read "the QB is entering his third season starting in Denton."

Edited by jdennis82
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I posted that before Vito's article. I was thinking that was with NMSU all season, but apparently he was here last semester.

As for the logjam, I think it will at least semi sort itself out. But not nearly as smoothly as if we had recruited the position well and didn't have to sign JUCO qbs in 3 consecutive classes like we have. I think Shanbour may have just been cut after last spring. I would be pretty surprised if Greer and/or Williams don't transfer out before next fall camp. Especially if they're sitting 4th or lower on the depth chart after spring ball.

I have a bit of a dilemma with Chumley. I don't anticipate him sticking at qb, based on watching his film at qb, so I am in the camp that believes his move to tight end is just a matter of time. However, I think the sooner you try and change his position, the greater risk you run of him transferring. He came here mainly because we promised him that he would play qb. If we move him at the first chance then he may feel lied to.

Ideally I hope we land Kevin Dillman. If that happens then we'd probably need Chumley moved to tight end before then. Would Chumley feel lied to if we don't at least let him play qb for a true season (even if he is redshirting)? And then you've got the situation with all the walkon qbs. I think the walkon qbs just may not get many reps during the team portions of spring practice. Especially if we don't have guys transferring out before then.

Maybe Chumley surprises.

Otherwise, the only way for him to be convinced of a position change is if Smith comes in here and grabs the bull by the nuts early on to where he just blows the competition away and everyone realizes this is our guy.

If Smith doesn't do that, and it's more McNulty, then Chumley thinks he'll have another shot next year & will resist a position change. Who could blame him?

• Upvote 1

I hope Chumley can come in and be a Cardale Jones and just flat run over defenders. I would love that.

As far as too many quarterbacks, TCU brings in a boat load of quarterbacks, puts weight on them, and turns then into stars at other positions. The more the merrier.

• Upvote 1

Scholarship QBs:

Caleb Chumley

Josh Greer

Andrew McNulty

Connor Means

DaMarcus Smith

Dajon Williams

Walk-ons:

Josh Cousins

Sam Wells

Mac and Chico are about to start a revolution and use 3 QB's in the backfield on every play... unfortunately with our situation, they will be forced to hand off every down, as none of them have pocket presence...

• Upvote 2

Scholarship QBs:

Caleb Chumley

Josh Greer

Andrew McNulty

Connor Means

DaMarcus Smith

Dajon Williams

Walk-ons:

Josh Cousins

Sam Wells

You know, I would feel much better about this situation if I had more confidence in the coaching staffs ability to assess (pushing Greer to the front of the line last sping/fall) and/or to develop-motivate players (Williams apparent lack of readiness).

You know, in High School, QB's used to be one of the best athletes on the team. In some schools they often played defense was well as QB. When Scott Hall came out of HS he was identified as a good Safety or CB prospect. James Hamilton out of Cedar Hill played RB for us.

How many of the QB prospects listed above ever successfully played any other position in High School?

If the current crowd cannot realistically play any other position but QB, then we potentially have a real cluster---- situation on our hands this spring/fall.

Oh, and BTW, Shanbour was standing on the sidelines this last season (2014) wearing street clothes and his #19 jersey.