Got our new QB?

BIG DAWG

Also the offensive lineman that transferred from Arkansas that never cracked the 2 deep. Signed his brother out of high school, but he never made it on the field due to injury and was out of the program either after a year or before even getting to campus.

Their names escape me.

As Cerebus stated, big difference between signing a 4 star out of high school and getting a JUCO or transfer 4 star.

Also, Tyler Stradford was another 4 star transfer from OU that was fast as lightening but couldn't catch a football.

We have had many of these types over the years. A few successes and a lot of meh.

Hoping for the best here.

Yep, I've seen this same scenario unfold too many times to know better than to get excited over a verbal from a former 4* recruit. I'll reserve my excitement for when/if this translates to success on the field.

Now, let me say I do hope this one pans out.

Highlights looked good, which is no surprise being a highlight reel.

The biggest news here, IMO, is the fact Mac signed a QB under 6'3". He supposedly wouldn't touch a prospect at QB unless he was a minimum 6'3". Desperate times call for desperate measures or has he truly turned over a new leaf to open up the talent pool?

• Upvote 1

Yep, I've seen this same scenario unfold too many times to know better than to get excited over a verbal from a former 4* recruit. I'll reserve my excitement for when/if this translates to success on the field.

Now, let me say I do hope this one pans out.

The reason to get excited is that this guy won the job at a good JUCO (unlike Berglund who couldn't win the starting job at his JUCO) and put up way better stats at JUCO than Josh Greer did. Plus, he had offers from two schools that recently produced high first round draft picks at the quarterback position (Louisville: Teddy Bridgewater; Central Florida: Blake Bortles), couldn't qualify and ended up at Western Kentucky where he was stuck behind the future MVP of CUSA and transferred out. This guy is a "get out of jail free" card for Mac and Canales and a big reason to be excited for the 2015 season.

• Upvote 7

The reason to get excited is that this guy won the job at a good JUCO (unlike Berglund who couldn't win the starting job at his JUCO) and put up way better stats at JUCO than Josh Greer did. Plus, he had offers from two schools that recently produced high first round draft picks at the quarterback position (Louisville: Teddy Bridgewater; Central Florida: Blake Bortles), couldn't qualify and ended up at Western Kentucky where he was stuck behind the future MVP of CUSA and transferred out. This guy is a "get out of jail free" card for Mac and Canales and a big reason to be excited for the 2015 season.

Yes, I think the difference between Smith and the others we recruited was that they didn't really have the production at the college level that he has. This guy seems like he moved around to get playing time, and made the most of it when he got that chance.

Dr. Seuss, I don't think Trice was mentioned because he was a transfer. He didn't sign with us as a juco or high school prospect. If you want to play that game then Arkansas State had a cup of coffee with Michael Dyer who was a 5 star and the #2 running back in the nation. I don't think touting highly rated guys who transferred because they never lived up to their potential(Feldt) is the best way to look at it. Don't get me wrong, I love Trice, he was my favorite player but he was signed as a 4 star prospect by Oklahoma. He came to us as a transfer with no star rating attached.