Texas A&M @ Ford Stadium?

cogido

I'm thinking SMU getting TA&M to play a home game in Ford stadium was a flashback to the old SWC days and that TA&M was doing smu a favor in part because of that. None the less, since our seating is similar to Ford stadium's, why can't UNT draw a Texas A&M to Apogee? Politics? Money? It's who you know not what you know? What do we need to do?

• Upvote 1

Boosters...and RV

Until we have the ability to do without the money game, we should not willingly schedule home slaughters.

Now, as to why we still need a money game is a little chicken/egg. We need more/bigger boosters than want to give money and RV needs to work harder to increase the booster base.

I would like to see a public campaign that highlights booster $'s and season ticket #'s.

I could see a reason why publishing booster $'s could be sensitive since we still receive school/student subsidy, but season ticket #'s and a public plan for growth should be be out in the open. We should have 10k season tickets sold AT A MINIMUM. No real reason we should not have 15k sold. Good grief, run a program where an alumni can buy two season ticket for $50 or a $100 total investment for two tickets in the wing zone or something.

You don't have to give away premium seats, but sell the hell out of the cheap seats until you run out and saturation market alumni.

I am certain the reason SMU can report the attendance number they do is because the have a large number of season tickets sold, even though they don't show up most of the time.

Start somewhere. I think we hired someone that took over MGC responsibilities, not sue if that also includes season tickets.

• Upvote 1

UNT hosted A$M at home once in football, but it was at Texas Stadium (1997). Attendance: 42,224.

If only Tubby Coleman didn't muff that punt return in the 3rd quarter....

You just had to go there didnt you? The Aggie faithful were crapping their pants till that moment.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1

I would be more than happy if we could just fill our OOC home schedule with other G5 and bottom-feeder P5 schools (like Indiana, Colorado, etc.). It would probably take a 2 for 1 to get a team like TAMU to Denton so I would just forget it. We should never, ever settle for less than a 1 for 1 deal. If that means scheduling two MAC and Sun Belt teams every year, so be it.

Edited by Mean Green Matt

I would be more than happy if we could just fill our OOC home schedule with other G5 and bottom-feeder P5 schools (like Indiana, Colorado, etc.). It would probably take a 2 for 1 to get a team like TAMU to Denton so I would just forget it. We should never, ever settle for less than a 1 for 1 deal. If that means scheduling two MAC and Sun Belt teams every year, so be it.

For A&M, you are probably right.

For Mizzou, Clemson, and any other number of recognizable brands it could be done in a one and one.

It would just take a really good, tough negotiator to get it done...

Anyone think that exists at UNT?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

All I see is another chance for the Ponies to get humiliated. I don't envy them in that. It will be a home game for the Aggies.

Yet they show their fans they are committed to bringing major college opponents to Ownby Stadium (?).

Maybe they expect their AD and their coach to be competitive? Maybe there are consequences for both if they are not.

We both know that isn't the case at UNT.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Today's Morning News has a front page article on SMU cutting their overall budget while working on a capital campaign. The article lists changing their athletic conference as one of their extra ordinary large expenses. They are not nearly as flush with cash as some think!

I think that is a big misperception about SMU. They do have a few big money donors and they can get 12 people to put up 6-7 figure donations to pay coach salaries….but the athletic department as a whole is not exactly raking it in….

I actually can't fault RV for A&M not being on our schedule. The circumstances behind the Aggies leaving for the SEC and the subsequent lockout by the Big XII Texas schools made games in Dallas against SMU a bit more understandable. They have a huge alumni base in Houston, obviously, so playing at Rice or UH isn't needed. But, up here in DFW, they get to their next largest alumni base, with an easy game to attend and win. Arky at Jerry World isn't cheap, nor is it easy to win, so SMU is a glorified scrimmage for them. But the bigger reason it is there is that Aggies have a that SWC connection with SMU, which is similar to Texas playing in Houston at Reliant Stadium against Rice. Their older alumni get a recognizable opponent, their fans get an easy game to attend, and the team gets an easy win on the "road".

Look, we aren't ever gonna be in play with any of those old SWC public schools, except for UH. Texas, A&M, Tech, Arkansas, and add in Oklahoma to that list, as well, are never gonna play here. They don't need the game in DFW, with TCU here, as well as the A&M/Arky game.

I am now at the point of just schedule OOC games like 2013, please. At least we had two FBS home games, even if Idaho is near the bottom of that list. Give me a MAC team or SBC team over NIcholls State, Incarnate Word, Portland State, or Texas Southern. Most people will never waste one second going to a game at Apogee when we are playing a low-level FCS team. Its not worth the time or money. RV, I can't even expect you to get an OOC game at home with a MWC team because that would be several levels higher than we have scheduled already since 2012.

But, hey, we get SMU at home and as an "alternative" home game every year now!! How awesome is that!! //sarcasm

Hey, I like the UNT / SMU series. It could really keep north texas metroplex football alive, bitter and on the map . smu hates UNT and vice versa. TCU won't last for long in the 12, just no way, too much money needed for the long haul, too little available in the LONG haul. UNT needs to hang tough and not get weak kneed, if so it could finally become the big dog of metroplex football.