Former UNT assistant to join SMU staff

Harry

SMU is picking up crystal ball selections from some big-time 247 analysts to get DeSoto players Kevin Thomas, Akile Davis, Bryce English, and Chris Orr. They also picked up a Crystal Ball to get our DB commit Ashton Preston. Preston had a tweet that he deleted, basically about maybe being interested know that SMU hired a new coach.

• Upvote 1

SMU is picking up crystal ball selections from some big-time 247 analysts to get DeSoto players Kevin Thomas, Akile Davis, Bryce English, and Chris Orr. They also picked up a Crystal Ball to get our DB commit Ashton Preston. Preston had a tweet that he deleted, basically about maybe being interested know that SMU hired a new coach.

Ridiculous! Don't those kids know that if they come to North Texas they can play Portland State?!

• Upvote 1

I'm really not that worried. I think everybody is overreacting to this hire. We all said the same thing when June Jones was hired and look how that turned out.

Also, I can think of another coach who hired several high school coaches. If I recall correctly, that also turned out horribly.

We've never gotten lots of highly ranked players, so we need to focus on coaching players up rather than focus on what SMU is doing.

• Upvote 2

Yukon (Oklahoma) head coach who was a former assistant at Oklahoma State. Morris appears set to recruit Oklahoma, and this will definitely help his ties over there, especially in the OKC area. We recruit over there as well.

FWIW, we offered a kid out of Yukon this year named Shane Block. He's a UTSA commitment.