MGB: UNT adds one to football sked

Brett Vito

Need more games against the Indianas of the world. Illinois too good for Denton? Maryland? Northwestern?

Colorado would make a great home-and-home starting in 2020 they are free.

Hell I'd take more home-and-homes with those MAC schools. Ohio and Ball State were at least FBS teams.

There are also a few often very beatable MWC teams that I would like to see in Denton on occasion. New Mexico would likely draw a pretty decent crowd, and we've only played them twice (1-1) in our history. We've never even played Wyoming.

Edited by foutsrouts

As expected the only downside is for UNT90 who can no longer say we only have 4 home games.

But I can say I told you so for the last 2 to 3 years and that I told you it would be an FCS.

If DMac needs to schedule like this to win, he should be told the relationship isn't going to work out.

And to the people that kept saying "just wait, they will move the TN game. Surely we won't get 5 home games with the only OOC home game being an FCS in 2 of 4 seasons. I trust RV," well, live and learn.

Except they won't. We we are looking at the same thing in 2017 or 2018, the same people will be on here defending RV, who no doubt will still have the easiest job in America; AD at UNT.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

so how much are we paying for this opponent, another $300-400K?

Telling us we could not get an FBS opponent? Are opposing OOC coaches scared to face the juggernaut coach DMac. Why not schedule a SWAC school, has worked out well for Benny to get some wins to pad his resume and make RV feel good about the hire.

We had no scheduling flexibility to do a one and one with anyone this year. This was always going to be a bought game.

It would have been interesting to see us go 6-6 this year and make a bowl, RV would have really had something to cry about, as he would have had to schedule a FCS and hope and pray that we did anything in 2015 other than win 6 games.

Because we wouldn't be bowl eligible.

That's assuming we beat Portland St. I would hope everyone agrees RV should be fired if we lose this game, although I'm sure many will be fine with it...

ok.. so if we are going to begin going the route of 1 big money game and 1 small nothing school every year.... then that we would likely only net what $300,000? Maybe.... I feel like a good solid home and home schedule would cover that and then some because you actually increase your chances of beating an equal or greater than school which will build us an actual program.

the debbie downer in me says we will go 4-8 next year.

But that is not the 1990s scheduling model RV wants to employ.

Make no mistake, this is taking the easy way out.

RV: Now's the time to get onboard with NT football!!! We have a brand new stadium and club seats are the way to go!!

Potential Buyer: Awesome! But don't you play in the Sun Belt?

RV: No, we're in CUSA now. And with a new stadium we'll be bringing in teams that we could never get at Fouts.

Potential Buyer: Really? Like who?

RV: PORTLAND F'IN STATE!!!!

You forgot the below:

RV: But don't worry, we will play 6 home games a year! Aside from the every other year of exceptional circumstance that will limit us to 5 home games a year... But you get to see us get killed EVERY YEAR on the road in whore games against the P5. Just remember that it's hard here at UNT and I only get paid a quarter of a million dollars a year, with another $100k Christmas bonus every year to do my job, so, really, it's not my fault. But, hey, I'll return your emails and talk to you on the phone... So, we're good, right?

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2

We had no scheduling flexibility to do a one and one with anyone this year. This was always going to be a bought game.

It would have been interesting to see us go 6-6 this year and make a bowl, RV would have really had something to cry about, as he would have had to schedule a FCS and hope and pray that we did anything in 2015 other than win 6 games.

Because we wouldn't be bowl eligible.

That's assuming we beat Portland St. I would hope everyone agrees RV should be fired if we lose this game, although I'm sure many will be fine with it...

That rule went away several years ago. FCS can count every year.

I don't mind an FCS school every year at home. TCU played Samford. Baylor played Northwestern State. Okie State play Missouri State. UH played Grambling. Southern Miss played Alcorn State. La Tech played Northwestern State and lost but they are in the Conference Championship Game this week. Marshal on the other side of the Conference Championship played Rhode Island. Schools both ahead and behind us play FCS schools on a regular basis.

Having a FCS school on the schedule isn't a problem, especially with Iowa and Tennessee in the same year. The problem is NOT having at least one OCC FBS school at home!

• Upvote 4

I don't mind an FCS school every year at home. TCU played Samford. Baylor played Northwestern State. Okie State play Missouri State. UH played Grambling. Southern Miss played Alcorn State. La Tech played Northwestern State and lost but they are in the Conference Championship Game this week. Marshal on the other side of the Conference Championship played Rhode Island. Schools both ahead and behind us play FCS schools on a regular basis.

Having a FCS school on the schedule isn't a problem, especially with Iowa and Tennessee in the same year. The problem is NOT having at least one OCC FBS school at home!

I know you understand that it's easier to win at home, and if we ever hope to reconnect with a bunch of alumni, we need a program defining win, a win we have never had. You usually don't get that win at Iowa and at Tennessee in the same season. We will lose both by 30 plus.

Talk about a downer.

Whereas, if we could simply do what Arkansas St., ULM, and any number of schools with equal or less resources have already done, we would increase out chances of beating teams like Mizzou and Iowa St. by playing them in Denton.

But your AD has said on a podcast that he would rather play whore games than put in the work and creative thinking necessary to keep up with the likes of ULM and Arkansas St in offering fans of this program not only an attractive gone opponent, but an increase in the chance of a program defining win for the program.

Game is on Oct 10th

I don't mind FCS schools , but for Christ Sake make it a team that would atleast generate some fans ( Grambling, Texas Southern, ACU, Southland , etc) ... How much are we paying these guys ? Probably a little more since we have to fly them across country... And please make it the 1st weekend of college football , not the 7th week!!! Smh

Edited by NT03

Artkie State played Montana State week 1, then went to Tennessee this year. ULM did not play a FCS school, but they only had 5 home games.

Yes, we need to schedule more FBS teams at home, but scheduling a FCS school does preclude that.

Even ULM gets that you don't schedule an FCS as your only OOC home game.

And we have done it twice in 4 years.

And scheduling 3 road OOC games and one home OOC game against an FCS absolutely precludes scheduling a home FBS non-conference game for that season.

Edited by UNT90

Now Mac has Benford'd the football schedule.

Maybe the Super-Secret MasterPlan is to have us returning to FCS.

This program has become Eastern Michigan. Good luck.

Good lord, 2 bowl eligible seasons since '95. 7 bowl eligible seasons since '75. How do they keep funding that program? Numerous zero win seasons and 1 win seasons.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1

RV: Now's the time to get onboard with NT football!!! We have a brand new stadium and club seats are the way to go!!

Potential Buyer: Awesome! But don't you play in the Sun Belt?

RV: No, we're in CUSA now. And with a new stadium we'll be bringing in teams that we could never get at Fouts.

Potential Buyer: Really? Like who?

RV: PORTLAND F'IN STATE!!!!

Potential Buyer: But what kind of teams were willing to come to Fouts?

RV: TCU, Baylor, Kansas State, Navy

Game is on Oct 10th

I don't mind FCS schools , but for Christ Sake make it a team that would atleast generate some fans ( Grambling, Texas Southern, ACU, Southland , etc) ... How much are we paying these guys ? Probably a little more since we have to fly them across country... And please make it the 1st weekend of college football , not the 7th week!!! Smh

You know, at first I really didn't give a crap about this game. I knew it was going to be an FCS, and I just didn't care which one. The more I read into this, the more I do care and realize what a bad game this is and how ridiculously incompetent our AD is.

Here's an article on the 2015 PAC 12 OOC schedule.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=pac12&id=77104&src=desktop

Washington State already picked up Portland State for this first weekend long ago. So we pick up an opponent that is over 2000 miles away, will bring no fan base, and pay them more than an FBS school of equal distance away for a 1-game home contract, and one that already has their scheduled filled up for week 1. So we schedule a school that has no attendance appeal for week 6, rather than schedule a regional opponent like Grambling who could bring a crowd and get some buzz going to start the season.

#itsallajoke

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 2