What does everyone think of the Spread Offense

meangreen15

I think switching to the spread would greatly help our team. If nothing else, I think we could use it as a selling point for recruits. Kids all over the state are playing in the system and it gives them the opportunity to put up huge numbers. I know its against Mac's style, but times have got to change! He has lost all momentum and he is losing the team. We have no rhythm or consistency on offense. Period.

GMFP used to be anti spread, and look how this year has turned out...

I think switching to the spread would greatly help our team. If nothing else, I think we could use it as a selling point for recruits. Kids all over the state are playing in the system and it gives them the opportunity to put up huge numbers. I know its against Mac's style, but times have got to change! He has lost all momentum and he is losing the team. We have no rhythm or consistency on offense. Period.

TD?

• Upvote 1

Todd Dodge ran the spread. Texas Tech runs the spread; they'll be watching the bowl games from home. Washington State with Mike Leach runs the spread; they'll be watching the bowl games from home.

It doesn't matter what offense you run - you have to have a quarterback to execute. We don't have a quarterback who can run spread...much less whatever it is Canales does...a little of everything.

Run, pass, or even mix of both, we need a decent quarterback.

• Upvote 2

Todd Dodge ran the spread. Texas Tech runs the spread; they'll be watching the bowl games from home. Washington State with Mike Leach runs the spread; they'll be watching the bowl games from home.

It doesn't matter what offense you run - you have to have a quarterback to execute. We don't have a quarterback who can run spread...much less whatever it is Canales does...a little of everything.

Kevin Sumlin seems to have done alright running the Air Raid. All those coaches run the Air Raid. Different system than the spread. Albeit there are similarities

• Upvote 1

Kevin Sumlin seems to have done alright running the Air Raid. All those coaches run the Air Raid. Different system than the spread. Albeit there are similarities

Yeah. I wonder how many 4-5 loss seasons the Texas A&M fans will take before they turn on Sumlin. He's in his third season with the Aggies without delivering a conference championship. They haven't even won their division yet.

Eventually, their fans will demand better defense. At that point, Sumlin will be tossed aside.

Todd Dodge ran the spread while he was here and it was great from 20 to 20 but wasn't worth a flip in the redz zone. No thank you! That is a period of Mean Green football I'd rather not relive. Vizza set records, Meager set records, We still lost the games. Awful.

The truth is, every non-power conference/non-AQ/G5 team, during the BCS era and now, to ever make noise nationwide and go undefeated has run some sort of spread or incorporated spread into a multiple offense (my favorite approach). You can point to the teams that lose with it, but, if run right, it can help close the gap between teams that are not equal talent wise.

Todd Dodge ran the spread while he was here and it was great from 20 to 20 but wasn't worth a flip in the redz zone. No thank you! That is a period of Mean Green football I'd rather not relive. Vizza set records, Meager set records, We still lost the games. Awful.

At least we moved the football and kept most of the games interesting. With a better defense that period wouldn't have been completely awful.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

The truth is, every non-power conference/non-AQ/G5 team, during the BCS era and now, to ever make noise nationwide and go undefeated has run some sort of spread or incorporated spread into a multiple offense (my favorite approach). You can point to the teams that lose with it, but, if run right, it can help close the gap between teams that are not equal talent wise.

Hmmm. So, explain how Dodge didn't "close the gap" talent wise. Kingsbury at Tech doesn't seem to be "closing the gap." Leach at Washington State?

We've run the spread. We could not get the personnel to run it.

I've already asked this before, but not gotten an answer from any spread proponent: how do you expect us to get quarterbacks and receivers to run the spread successfully with so many other schools in and around Texas already taking the best quarterbacks and receivers for their spreads?

My question is, when Mac had Seneca Wallace as his QB during his only successful seasons at Iowa State, did he run the ball 70% of the time? Were the defense and special teams utterly dominant? Or did he use a quarterback who was clearly a spread qb, in a system where he would succeed? Or, did Wallace just improvise an ancient offense and basically give Mac the middle finger while being successful

The truth also is that the only successful seasons we've had in the last 15 years have involved tough defense and running the football, with some efficient quarterback play sprinkled in.

Hmmm. So, explain how Dodge didn't "close the gap" talent wise. Kingsbury at Tech doesn't seem to be "closing the gap." Leach at Washington State?

We've run the spread. We could not get the personnel to run it.

I've already asked this before, but not gotten an answer from any spread proponent: how do you expect us to get quarterbacks and receivers to run the spread successfully with so many other schools in and around Texas already taking the best quarterbacks and receivers for their spreads?

It's not an automatic. But the non-power conference teams who have gone undefeated and made BCS bowls are offenses that run the spread effectively. There are no 60% running, heavy under-center non-power conference schools going undefeated.

I'm not this spread offense enthusiast. I believe in multiple offenses that can spread things out when necessary and create mismatches when necessary. Especially against teams that are from bigger conferences and will make it hard for us to run the ball in between the tackles from under center.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 1

At least (with Dodge) we moved the football and kept most of the games interesting. With a better defense that period wouldn't have been completely awful.

My, my, how quickly we forget what shitty, shitty football that was. Revisionism at its finest. If we don't win another game this year, the winning percentage in Mac's worst year will still be fifty percent higher than Dodge's best year.

• Upvote 1

For a G5 to run a spread offense it takes an equal amount of talent identifying and luck in finding the right Quarterback to be able to do it. North Texas have never had either one of those things when trying to find a Quarterback.

Vizza was pretty good at it, but he preferred civilian life and couldn't tackle worth a darn.

• Upvote 1

You mentioned we have no rhythm and consistency on offense. If you would leave it at that you would know the solution to your problem is to develop rhythm and consistency, not change offense.

Also, all of you people saying we only run, apparently didn't watch last year when were as balanced as you could be, and had one of the best years on offense anyone can remember. The same guys coaching did that.

We need more play makers.

But the non-power conference teams who have gone undefeated and made BCS bowls are offenses that run the spread effectively. There are no 60% running, heavy under-center non-power conference schools going undefeated.

...I believe in multiple offenses that can spread things out when necessary and create mismatches when necessary. Especially against teams that are from bigger conferences and will make it hard for us to run the ball in between the tackles from under center.

Spread offenses are the great equalizer for under-sized or less talented teams against better opponents. The Boise's and Appy State's are examples, even North Texas between 1975-79.

Hayden Fry was a master at running multiple offensive sets and gadget plays, or exotics, as he called them, before they were popular. He wanted to force opponents to have to practice defense against any kind of known offense...to help wear them out and confuse them before the game even started.

Anyone can call off-tackle plays and short passes to the flat for 2 yard gains. That leads to 3-7 records and bored fans, players, and potential recruits!