Thank you Players and Coaches

southsideguy

I believe this staff got the most possible out of this team.  We're still not as talented as many teams in the conference.  Also, it seemed every time they talked about one of our players they would show his name and it would be followed by a "FR" or "SO".  We're still an incredibly young team on the field. 

• Upvote 6

Stepping back to look at the larger picture, this program is making substantial progress and is further along in that effort than I expected.  That's a huge credit to the staff, players, and administration.

These last two games have shone a spotlight on areas that need to improve but I remain confident that the improvement will continue. 

Time to prepare to spoil Sonny Dykes' regular season debut with the Ponies

• Upvote 1

Just now, jdennis82 said:

Stepping back to look at the larger picture, this program is making substantial progress and is further along in that effort than I expected.  That's a huge credit to the staff, players, and administration.

These last two games have shone a spotlight on areas that need to improve but I remain confident that the improvement will continue. 

Time to prepare to spoil Sonny Dykes' regular season debut with the Ponies

I think the key is they got the quarterback right.  It also really helped to have a tremendous kicker.  

Yes 9 wins was fun to watch.  The drama the leaders that emerged. No bad weather games.  Trips for me to South Florida and New Orleans. Utsa. Winning in the Rock.  Playing Iowa tough for awhile.  Stomping rice. It was a fun year.  Needle pointed up. Stand tall Mean Green.

• Upvote 3

I thought with our schedule we could swing 8 or 9 if we won the close ones. We did. That's a huge part of growing a G5. The next step is not having as many close ones and beating some bigger opponents. If Seth can pull that off im the next year or 2, we're finally on the right trajectory and will hopefully maintain it, a la our old Big West pals from Boise State.

Good god this fan base has low standards.

Great Season?? Getting your ass kicked by SMU, FAU x2 and Troy does not make for a great season or one to remember or whatever people want to call it. This team and coaching staff couldn't be bothered to prepare big games.

I don't care what happened two years ago, we need to be better next season.

• Upvote 6
  • Confused 2
  • Downvote 16

4 minutes ago, GRN-WHT said:

Great Season?? Getting your ass kicked by SMU, FAU x2 and Troy does not make for a great season or one to remember or whatever people want to call it. This team and coaching staff couldn't be bothered to prepare big games.

Totally agree with you.. and gave you +1

On Paper it was a great year.. 

Watching it was totally different.. We answered some questions and lacked in others.. 

Also, I haven’t done the math but did we finished with a positive or negative point total this year???

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 11

4 hours ago, GRN-WHT said:

4 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Totally agree with you.. and gave you +1

On Paper it was a great year.. 

Watching it was totally different.. We answered some questions and lacked in others.. 

Also, I haven’t done the math but did we finished with a positive or negative point total this year???

Of course we would love to be in or near the top 25 every year...and with our resources, we should be...but finally being in a situation that will hopefully lead to that, these 2 years of rapid progress have been great quick leaps. Another year or two progressing at this rate will put us where we always wanted to be. So are we Clemson or LSU or Boise State? No. We should have been at that level long ago, but didn't have the necessary support in-house. But is it exciting as hell for most of us that we may finally be on the path to that? Absolutely.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, GRN-WHT said:

Jesus Christ.  You're like the guy who shows up at a 70s key party with a truck stop condom and a moped. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 2

57 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

Jesus Christ.  You're like the guy who shows up at a 70s key party with a truck stop condom and a moped. 

Funny. 

My point is that I wish this fan base would ditch the “well it’s better than we did in the past” mentality. It’s what kept a failing AD here for 14 years. Because he was better than the last guy.

For a program that wins consistently, this season would have been a disappointment. 

Yes, this season was good and fun to watch, but I’m looking forward to continued improvement so these 9 win seasons can be written off and forgotten as one year blips and we’d be celebrating 12-13 win seasons and conference championships instead. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, GRN-WHT said:

Funny. 

My point is that I wish this fan base would ditch the “well it’s better than we did in the past” mentality. It’s what kept a failing AD here for 14 years. Because he was better than the last guy.

For a program that wins consistently, this season would have been a disappointment. 

Yes, this season was good and fun to watch, but I’m looking forward to continued improvement so these 9 win seasons can be written off and forgotten as one year blips and we’d be celebrating 12-13 win seasons and conference championships instead. 

Alright, I can't disagree with you there.  

Yes, it was a disappointing loss, and my expectations we're probably too high. Yes, I think this team overachieved. In our blowout losses, we were definitely outmatched on the offensive and defensive lines. That is where games are won and lost. So, Littrell and staff know this and will address it. We are improving and I like the direction of the university and the AD as a whole. Wren will get us winning and winning consistently. After all these years, I have faith that we'll get there in my lifetime.

GO MEAN GREEN!

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, GRN-WHT said:

Funny. 

Well stated.  

15 hours ago, GRN-WHT said:

Funny. 

We all want to win but SL started with nothing but 1-11 team.  Yes, we wish we had the FAU story to tell but it will take time to build the team up and hopefully if or when SL leaves he will leave a strong base to start for the next guy.  If we are building for the future I am ok with it.  I rather have year in year out strong program then a flash in the pan.  I think year three of SL will tell us a lot more.  Can we get a lot better ?  Sure we can.  But I refuse to piss on this year team and coach and what was accomplishment were made. Look at the change already we talking about winning and not about losing all the time.  That is change right there. GO MEAN GREEN and Merry Christmas to all. Here hoping Santa brings us some defensive players.

• Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, GRN-WHT said:

Funny. 

Sure...let’s blame the fan base. Great idea! 👍

I prefer to discuss the “so-called” fan base who flap their gums, but withhold support and let the fan base you knock do all the financial “lifting”. Biggest issue was, is and may well continue to be $$$$.  We have leadership in place at the top of the University, finally, we have a coach, finally, we have facilities on the ground or planned, finally, but what we don’t have are enough fans willing to do the little and big things to make it happen. Plus, we still have a student body, as a whole, who don’t get it. Mark my words (I do hope I am wrong) that student vote is going down in flames!

So, I am thinking the actual, donating, season ticket buying, going to bowl games, fan base, as small as it really is, might just be in line for a pass here!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

20 hours ago, GRN-WHT said:

Funny. 

I like what Troy had done 2 straight 10+ win seasons, a big Top 25 win over a P5, their losses were not blow outs. 

Wow I like that too.  Can you pick that up for me at the 7-11?  

I like the team, one of only 6 in 102 years that won 9 games. 

This looks a lot like tcu in that they suffered some harrowing losses on their way to respectability. Our losses were against people dancing outside of the top 25. One of our wins was against an army team receiving top 25 votes.  The power of Apogee! We see what we have to do to get there.  Pick up the face off the ground dust one’s self off, hit the weight room, nutrition table, recruiting trail and get ready to bust up smu In September.  

GMG