Time to put English on the shelf

Harry

Medical Red-shirts and the Five-Year Clock

Athletes must keep in mind both the five-year clock and their four seasons of competition. Even if an athlete gets a medical hardship waiver, he or she needs to have time left on their five-year clock (10-semester/15-quarter clock in Divisions II and III) to use that season.

This is problematic for athletes took a normal redshirt season or sat out due to a transfer. An athlete can generally not use a medical redshirt in those cases unless they get a clock extension or sixth year waiver. To do that the athlete show they lost two seasons outside of his or her control. The medical redshirt would be one, but the athlete would still need to show another.

Per above it looks like any chance English has of getting a medical hardship waiver depends on if his first redshirt year was because of injury.   NT should know the answer to that question, and if the redshirt was not the result of injury; there is no reason not to use English if he gets medical clearance.    

11 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Athletes must keep in mind both the five-year clock and their four seasons of competition. Even if an athlete gets a medical hardship waiver, he or she needs to have time left on their five-year clock (10-semester/15-quarter clock in Divisions II and III) to use that season.

This is problematic for athletes took a normal redshirt season or sat out due to a transfer. An athlete can generally not use a medical redshirt in those cases unless they get a clock extension or sixth year waiver. To do that the athlete show they lost two seasons outside of his or her control. The medical redshirt would be one, but the athlete would still need to show another.

Per above it looks like any chance English has of getting a medical hardship waiver depends on if his first redshirt year was because of injury.   NT should know the answer to that question, and if the redshirt was not the result of injury; there is no reason not to use English if he gets medical clearance.    

I think they're trying to see how stringent the NCAA is on "outside of his or her control", as English transferred to UNT because of his father's health in the first place.   That waiver was already denied by the NCAA, so he had to sit last year.  I'm wondering if SL/WB are now trying to parlay that one into this one to get that 6th year.   Not a probability, but one that I suppose is worth asking.   

...unless there is some sort of unknown documented injury English had while sitting at KSSt in 2015.  In that case, it should be a slam dunk?

My worry is that Bryce might get healthy enough to contribute (around Rice/C-USA championship) but would be held out because SL/WB are waiting on the NCAA to make a ruling, hoping for that improbable 6th year.   The fact that they are even contemplating putting him on the shelf even though he may be able to play later is a testament to Young & Tauaalo's play.

1 hour ago, WilliamQuinn said:

I am pretty sure Bryce would get a medical redshirt.  Why wouldn't he?

Because of the NCAA regulations that say he can't.    He would have to prove that the redshirt he took at KSSt in 2015 was due to injury (which it does not appear it was).
His appeal/waiver for 2016, when he came here due to his father's health, was already denied.

1 minute ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Because of the NCAA regulations that say he can't.    He would have to prove that the redshirt he took at KSSt in 2015 was due to injury (which it does not appear it was).
His appeal/waiver for 2016, when he came here due to his father's health, was already denied.

If he can go 10-15 downs against Army, then start against Rice, C-USA Championship game, Bowl game you do it.

take any decision out of the NCAAs hands. 

I think the only way I change my mind on this if it comes out WB has some sort of in...or basically we figure out RV has been doing things wrong for years and denials hasn't been a UNT thing, just a leadership thing

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

Was able to find this.  We might be trying to say sitting out last year was outside of his control??

16 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

If he can go 10-15 downs against Army, then start against Rice, C-USA Championship game, Bowl game you do it.

take any decision out of the NCAAs hands. 

I think the only way I change my mind on this if it comes out WB has some sort of in...or basically we figure out RV has been doing things wrong for years and denials hasn't been a UNT thing, just a leadership thing

I agree, except if he's healthy enough to contribute, but not 100% and isn't as effective as Young (best DL on the team), and Tauaalo. 
If he can't play at their level or better, then he would be a 3rd stringer, and not be able to help much.  I'd rather not play him in that case, because the risk/reward : re-injury/contribution would weigh more heavily to risk of re-injury.

But yeah, if a ~90% English can play on Tauaalo's level or better, get him in and slide Young over to 3-tech & let him wreak havoc over there.

3 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Was able to find this.  We might be trying to say sitting out last year was outside of his control??

Yeah,  But on the surface, it was absolutely within his control to transfer to UNT to be closer to his dad.

18 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

But yeah, if a ~90% English can play on Tauaalo's level or better, get him in and slide Young over to 3-tech & let him wreak havoc over there.

This is more my thought...even if it means just getting Young off the nose for 50% of his snaps or so with English/Tauaalo-bear next to him I see the benefit, especially since Moore is hurt(?).

Tillman and Flusche have been good, but I think a healthy line of Young-English-Hamilton is probably our best...and given that were on course for a possible 10 win season, I'm of the mind you go all in now. We're not used to being dealt the hand currently in front of us.

Also...shout out to Jo Ozougou. He was great against La Tech...if Wheeler makes it back for the rest of the season, our JACK situation is scary good

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

This is more my thought...even if it means just getting Young off the nose for 50% of his snaps or so with English/Tauaalo-bear next to him I see the benefit, especially since Moore is hurt(?).

Tillman and Flusche have been good, but I think a healthy line of Young-English-Hamilton is probably our best...and given that were on course for a possible 10 win season, I'm of the mind you go all in now. We're not used to being dealt the hand currently in front of us.

Also...shout out to Jo Ozougou. He was great against La Tech...if Wheeler makes it back for the rest of the season, our JACK situation is scary good

I see, and if English is able to contribute at a high level, I'd be game.
I just wonder if moving Young around on the line would hurt his productivity... not really allowing him to get locked-in & maybe get frustrated?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I see, and if English is able to contribute at a high level, I'd be game.
I just wonder if moving Young around on the line would hurt his productivity... not really allowing him to get locked-in & maybe get frustrated?

Possible..who knows other than the coaches. My read is that at the nose he's often situationally coached to just hold the line. You tell him he gets to pin his ears back a bunch more, I'd think he'd respond well

6 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

Possible..who knows other than the coaches. My read is that at the nose he's often situationally coached to just hold the line. You tell him he gets to pin his ears back a bunch more, I'd think he'd respond well

Agree.

He may have had his best game to date last Saturday.  

Rick

• Lovely Take 1

• 2 weeks later...

My understanding of the Bryce English situation is this:

2015 - Freshman.  He redshirted his freshman year at KState

2016 - Redshirt freshman.  Transferred to UNT due to family health issues.  Applied for waiver to allow him to play right away without having to sit out the mandatory 1 year.  NCAA denied this appeal due to the fact that they recently implemented a rule specifically for this situation.  The new rule is that they do not grant waivers in this situation, but they also do not charge you with a year of eligibility.

2017 - Redshirt freshman (still RS FR due to NCAA rule referenced above).  Sustained injury during preseason.  Beginning to look like he won't play this season.

2018 - Should be redshirt sophomore year

2019 - Should be redshirt junior year

2020 - Should be redshirt senior year

2021 - Is it possible that he is able to petition for a medical redshirt for 2017 and gain another year of eligibility?  To me, this is the question, but it will require that the NCAA grant a SEVENTH year of eligibility.  I don't think I have ever heard of that happening.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, keith said:

If he only plays one play in the conference championship but makes the stop to seal the victory then it's all worth it.

What if that means, instead of having English for an entire year and a T20 ranking, he exhausts that eligibility and you never get anything more than a few T25 votes?