Jinks vs. Withers?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Jinks vs. Withers?

• Mike Jinks (Assistant at Texas Tech)
    • Everitt Withers (Head Coach at JMU)

Everett Withers

Pros:

• Considered a very good recruiter.
  • Has coached at the FCS, FBS and NFL levels.
  • Has been a DC at Louisville (then G5), and P5 programs Minnesota, North Carolina and Ohio State.
  • $325K salary at JMU would be easy for us to increase and still have money left over for a staff.
  • 26-12 as a head coach.

Cons:

• Never been a HC at the G5 level.
  • Even though he is considered a defensive coaches some of his defensive have performed very poorly.   His Ohio State defensives were considered subpar and the M2007 Minnessota team was one of the worst in the nation statistically. 
  • Refused to cooperate with UNC's investigation into academic fraud.
  • Only 7-5 as a FBS head coach.

Mike Jinks

Pros:

Cons:

• Never been a HC above the HS level (is considered a Assistant HC at TT starting this season).
  • Never been a coordinator above the HS level.

From the above it seems Withers is a better candidate.   Also, in what is becoming a Cato the Elder like addendum to every post I make, my first choice is still Willie Fritz:  

Fritz oportet nostro proximo raeda

• Upvote 2

Let me expound on why I think Fritz oportet nostro proximo raeda

Willie Fritz

Pros:

• Has been a HC at the JUCO, DII, FCS and FBS levels.
  • Has been a very good recruiter at every stop.
  • Winning-est coach in Central Missouri history.
  • Turned around a SHSU program that went 25-28 in the previous 5 years and went 40-15.
  • Took the GSU program, that finished 7-4 in FCS, lead them into a FBS conference and has gone 16-6.
  • Makes 500k at Georgia Southern, could easily increase his salary and have money left over to bring his coordinators.  
  • Overall record of 153-68, 40-15 record in FCS, 16-6 in FBS.

Cons:

• Might want to stay at GSU until a P5 program comes open.
  • Would make RV look good, possibly killing UNT90.

I seriously can't think of any cons.  He has rebuilt struggling programs at the JUCO, DII, FCS and FBS level.  Has never been one of the rich kids at the P5 program, so he knows what it takes to win here.  He has recruited at every single level.  He has won at every single level.   North Texas would be the most well funded program he has ever been to.  He has found recruits to come to small programs in the P5 heavy states of Texas and Georgia.  He has been at the small program that has to rush for the over looked B12 or SEC recruits.  

Maybe he cheats at spades?  Maybe he is the one person who likes honeydew in fruit salad?  Besides him possibly wanting to coach at a P5, please tell me what his shortcomings are.

In short:  Fritz oportet nostro proximo raeda

• Upvote 1

From your previous posts regarding certain candidates, I would assume you have more knowledge of the situation than most. Do you really think Fritz would come here? Is he considered the front runner by the AD at this point?

He is #1 in my heart, I am making no claims beyond that.

However I hope we are making an all out sell here.  Everyone complains about how North Texas is in a tough spot because we are an underfunded also ran in a B12 state, but at the same time that we should be doing more because we are now more well funded than ever before.

Well, Fritz has won deep in B12 and SEC country.  He has never been the dominate program in his area.   Coming here would give him more resources than he has ever had at his disposal.

I don't care who has to shake hands and kiss babies, lets get him here.  

ETA: Almost forgot ... Fritz oportet nostro proximo raeda

Edited by Cerebus
  • Upvote 1

Let me expound on why I think Fritz oportet nostro proximo raeda

Willie Fritz

Pros:

• Has been a HC at the JUCO, DII, FCS and FBS levels.
  • Has been a very good recruiter at every stop.
  • Winning-est coach in Central Missouri history.
  • Turned around a SHSU program that went 25-28 in the previous 5 years and went 40-15.
  • Took the GSU program, that finished 7-4 in FCS, lead them into a FBS conference and has gone 16-6.
  • Makes 500k at Georgia Southern, could easily increase his salary and have money left over to bring his coordinators.  
  • Overall record of 153-68, 40-15 record in FCS, 16-6 in FBS.

Cons:

• Might want to stay at GSU until a P5 program comes open.
  • Would make RV look good, possibly killing UNT90.

I seriously can't think of any cons.  He has rebuilt struggling programs at the JUCO, DII, FCS and FBS level.  Has never been one of the rich kids at the P5 program, so he knows what it takes to win here.  He has recruited at every single level.  He has won at every single level.   North Texas would be the most well funded program he has ever been to.  He has found recruits to come to small programs in the P5 heavy states of Texas and Georgia.  He has been at the small program that has to rush for the over looked B12 or SEC recruits.  

Maybe he cheats at spades?  Maybe he is the one person who likes honeydew in fruit salad?  Besides him possibly wanting to coach at a P5, please tell me what his shortcomings are.

In short:  Fritz oportet nostro proximo raeda

I like Fritz negatives would be name recognition , age, time away from Texas. For immediate response in recruiting we need current Texas ties, and a recognized name.

• Upvote 1

I mean, does someone really need Texas ties to recruit in Texas?

It may help right at first (see: Jinks) but over time, if the guy is a good recruiter, he'll recruit.

I would focus on the strength of recruiting classes of the candidates to see what he's been up to.

• Upvote 3

I like Fritz negatives would be name recognition , age, time away from Texas. For immediate response in recruiting we need current Texas ties, and a recognized name.

He had been away from Texas for 13 years when he took the SHSU job.  He promptly came in, clean up in recruiting, and took them to two FCS championships.   He has been away for two years now, so I think he can come back in and be successful.  

I do usually agree that a G5 coach has to have relations with the HS coaches in the area to be successful.  There are exceptions, Fritz came back to Texas and cleaned up, then he went to Georgia and immediately recruited there.  All his classes ranked higher than any of ours.  

Also when it comes to Fritz, Withers and Jinks I think Fritz has the most name recognition with coaches.   He would lose out to people like Briles.  

I mean, does someone really need Texas ties to recruit in Texas?

A coach at a P5 program just has to roll the helmet out.  A coach at a G5 school has to build contacts with local coaches.   You will rarely run into people who can recruit anywhere, anytime.  Usually they work for P5 programs.  

I think Fritz has proven he can recruit at multiple places, so lets get him and his staff here asap.

• Upvote 3

Hire a good head coach and forget Texas ties. Withers would not be the lead recruiter. That is the job of the assistants.

People keep talking about Dodge versus Mac in terms of Dodge's  Texas ties. Maybe the difference was really the assistants.  You know the ones that actually go out and recruit. Dunbar didn't come here for Dodge, for example. 

Mac had a great resume staff, but that is where your lack of Texas ties comes in. So bring in Jinks or someone similar as OC and hire a couple of top Texas high school coaches as position coaches.  Then fill in the rest with "your guys" if you want. 

• Upvote 2

He had been away from Texas for 13 years when he took the SHSU job.  He promptly came in, clean up in recruiting, and took them to two FCS championships.   He has been away for two years now, so I think he can come back in and be successful.  

I do usually agree that a G5 coach has to have relations with the HS coaches in the area to be successful.  There are exceptions, Fritz came back to Texas and cleaned up, then he went to Georgia and immediately recruited there.  All his classes ranked higher than any of ours.  

Also when it comes to Fritz, Withers and Jinks I think Fritz has the most name recognition with coaches.   He would lose out to people like Briles.  

A coach at a P5 program just has to roll the helmet out.  A coach at a G5 school has to build contacts with local coaches.   You will rarely run into people who can recruit anywhere, anytime.  Usually they work for P5 programs.  

I think Fritz has proven he can recruit at multiple places, so lets get him and his staff here asap.

According to FootballScoop Fritz has declared interest in Iowa St job.

According to FootballScoop Fritz has declared interest in Iowa St job.

And according to no one, he has declared interest in the UNT job.  And as far as I know, neither has Withers...all I have seen is that RV likes him.  

I hope I am wrong, as I think we need someone who has proven they can assemble a staff and run a team at the college level.

And according to no one, he has declared interest in the UNT job.  And as far as I know, neither has Withers...all I have seen is that RV likes him.  

I hope I am wrong, as I think we need someone who has proven they can assemble a staff and run a team at the college level.

Fritz may not have much interest in us, but we had a lot of interest in him

• Upvote 1

Since this is about Jinks and Withers, it would be Withers by a mile.  

He would probably bring some of his staff with him along with some of his better recruits.  

He could hit the ground running.

Now picture the HC trying to close on a 4 star defensive back who asks "Why UNT when I  want to get good enough to play in the NFL."

Would Jinks have the answer?

Withers is known to be a good recruiter who coached 7 years in the NFL.

Withers would say "Son I coached DBs in the NFL for years and I can show you how to get there."

Everett Withers

Pros:

• Considered a very good recruiter.
  • Has coached at the FCS, FBS and NFL levels.
  • Has been a DC at Louisville (then G5), and P5 programs Minnesota, North Carolina and Ohio State.
  • $325K salary at JMU would be easy for us to increase and still have money left over for a staff.
  • 26-12 as a head coach.

Cons:

• Never been a HC at the G5 level.
  • Even though he is considered a defensive coaches some of his defensive have performed very poorly.   His Ohio State defensives were considered subpar and the M2007 Minnessota team was one of the worst in the nation statistically. 
  • Refused to cooperate with UNC's investigation into academic fraud.
  • Only 7-5 as a FBS head coach.

Mike Jinks

Pros:

Cons:

• Never been a HC above the HS level (is considered a Assistant HC at TT starting this season).
  • Never been a coordinator above the HS level.

From the above it seems Withers is a better candidate.   Also, in what is becoming a Cato the Elder like addendum to every post I make, my first choice is still Willie Fritz:  

Fritz oportet nostro proximo raeda

I say bring Jinks in, give him money to bring in OC and DC who are established and let's see what happens. 

• Upvote 2

I say bring Jinks in, give him money to bring in OC and DC who are established and let's see what happens. 

I think they both share that as plus, we could afford to pay them much more than they make now and still afford good assistants.  

Jinks is an impressive recruiter, but he has never been a HC or even a coordinator anywhere above HS, that does worry me.   Withers has been.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Sold.

Jesus...really?  Just the UTSA thing along would sell you?

As for Fritz...didn't I mention him like a year ago when there were "what if Mac goes" rumblings?  I thought I did.  Anyway...yeah, I definitely mentioned it off of the board over the last couple of years, so count me in as one who would be pretty stoked to see what he could do here.