Jinks vs. Withers?

Harry

Jinks vs. Withers?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Jinks vs. Withers?

• Mike Jinks (Assistant at Texas Tech)
    • Everitt Withers (Head Coach at JMU)

I think comparisons are in order.

Jinks is in his early 40's with 17 yrs as a high school coach and one state title and 3 years coaching at the college level.

Withers is in his early 40's with 20 yrs as a high school coach and 4 state titles and 2 years coaching at the college level.

Oh, excuse me, I confused Withers with Dodge back in 2006.  Withers has only coached at the college and NFL levels.

Never mind and carry on 

• Upvote 1

I think comparisons are in order.

Jinks is in his early 40's with 17 yrs as a high school coach and one state title and 3 years coaching at the college level.

Withers is in his early 40's with 20 yrs as a high school coach and 4 state titles and 2 years coaching at the college level.

Oh, excuse me, I confused Withers with Dodge back in 2006.  Withers has only coached at the college and NFL levels.

Never mind and carry on 

Dodge was 20 years removed from that college experience when hired and we were I-AA at the time so it wasn't even I-A experience.

How about this one?

Candidate X is in his late 40s with 20yrs as a Texas high school coach and 4 Texas state titles and 3 years coaching at the FBS college level in Texas.

University Y hires Candidate X to take over a team that has gone 5-18 over the previous two seasons(sound familiar?). Candidate X ends up leading University Y to 4 bowl games in 5 years with one conference championship and a ten win season while only having one losing season in those 5 years. Candidate X is hired away by University Z.

University Y has gone bowling in 7 of the 9 years since Candidate X's departure. Prior to Candidate X's arrival the previous two coaches combined to win 28.6% of their games. Candidate X won 55% of his games and the two candidates after X won 62% of their games. Candidate X was a program changing hire and his name was Art Briles.

• Upvote 1

Dodge was 20 years removed from that college experience when hired and we were I-AA at the time so it wasn't even I-A experience.

How about this one?

Candidate X is in his late 40s with 20yrs as a Texas high school coach and 4 Texas state titles and 3 years coaching at the FBS college level in Texas.

University Y hires Candidate X to take over a team that has gone 5-18 over the previous two seasons(sound familiar?). Candidate X ends up leading University Y to 4 bowl games in 5 years with one conference championship and a ten win season while only having one losing season in those 5 years. Candidate X is hired away by University Z.

University Y has gone bowling in 7 of the 9 years since Candidate X's departure. Prior to Candidate X's arrival the previous two coaches combined to win 28.6% of their games. Candidate X won 55% of his games and the two candidates after X won 62% of their games. Candidate X was a program changing hire and his name was Art Briles.

What?

Since this is about Jinks and Withers, it would be Withers by a mile.  

He would probably bring some of his staff with him along with some of his better recruits.  

He could hit the ground running.

Now picture the HC trying to close on a 4 star defensive back who asks "Why UNT when I  want to get good enough to play in the NFL."

Would Jinks have the answer?

Withers is known to be a good recruiter who coached 7 years in the NFL.

Withers would say "Son I coached DBs in the NFL for years and I can show you how to get there."

Malcolm Brown left Cibolo Steele and Jinks as a High School All-American and the #1 ranked running back in the nation.

In 2014, Deandre Washington became the first running back to reach 1,000 yards in a season at Texas Tech since 1998 (15 years). He did it again this season. He did this under the guidance of Mike Jinks and will likely end up being drafted in April because of it.

I think he'd do just fine in telling a player how to get to the league.

What?

Dodge was qb coach for 2 years at FCS North Texas in 1992 and 1993. He had not been a college coach in 13 years when he took over as head coach. I was thinking time vs now, that's why I screwed up and put 20 years.

Edited by Cr1028