We are not a good team

HoustonEagle

Don't kid yourself. This season is not going to have some miracle turnaround. So it's time to decide if you can stomach the losses. 6 wins is a possibility but only if the conference sucks. Point being we all have to decide what kind of fan we are because there will be no championships. Growing pains is the best we can hope for.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Think you need to ease off that good defense. Any team with a decent QB will give us problems.

You can't leave the defense on the field like we did here or at Texas and think they wont get beat down. When did we get our first 1st down tonight like 3 minutes left in the half?

We have a great Defense and special teams are back we are missing Offense only. You can't have 10 three and outs on the offense and not kill your defense they are exhausted

I am for the most part with you. This defense can play. They are not great however. A great defense does not give up 42 to La Tech. No matter how bad the offense.

• Upvote 2

I agree that it's mainly a QB issue. If Greer hits Kidsy on the play in the first half it's probably a touchdown and a different game. It was not a difficult pass. And yes, I'm boiling this whole 42-21 beatdown into one pass that wasn't made. Do we win if he hits that pass? Probably not, but it's a different game.

And there were onthers, that one was just the biggest.

For the record, I've been in Greer's corner up until this point.

• Upvote 1

I am for the most part with you. This defense can play. They are not great however. A great defense does not give up 42 to La Tech. No matter how bad the offense.

Defense didn't give up 42 points. 14 were scored after the offense/special teams turned the ball over deep in our own territory. So the defense gave up 28 to a good offensive LT team and after being left out to dry by the offense.

• Upvote 4

Don't kid yourself. This season is not going to have some miracle turnaround. So it's time to decide if you can stomach the losses. 6 wins is a possibility but only if the conference sucks. Point being we all have to decide what kind of fan we are because there will be no championships. Growing pains is the best we can hope for.

It's a quarterbacks issue. It shouldn't take a lot of number crunching and analysis to come to the understanding that any defense will show cracks when it has to be on the field for almost 30 minutes of a half, and is probably in bad field position. It shouldn't be hard to get that when the passing game doesn't work, nothing else on offense does, either.

I'd only be worried if Williams doesn't start at the next game.

• Upvote 2

Wait that is not really true, didn't the offense leave us on the 8 on one turnover I think greer made the tackle, and I think we had another when I was puking in the dumpster? So 7 points and probably at least 14 points are directly due to the offense. And really we did not give our defense a bit of rest in the first half, period. A defense will get steamrolled anytime that happens.

It was a quarterback issue but it wasn't just a quarterback issue. There were way too many mental mistakes by virtually the whole team. Penalties out the ying yang. Missed tackles. Poorly thrown passes. Drops. Receivers breaking off routes. Greer holding the ball way too long. Ball hitting coverage player who had his back turned. Offensive line didn't give runners opportunity.

Dajon did very well but remember he was playing against their reserves. I do agree that he deserves the chance to start and let's see what he can do against the best. I'd also like to see Wilson and Evans get some running opportunities much earlier in the game. As good as Pegram and Jimmer are, they don't have the speed of the freshmen.

The coaches have a helluva lot to do as well. Keep going over mistakes until they get it right. Inexperience and lack of concentration really showed tonight.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Think you need to ease off that good defense. Any team with a decent QB will give us problems.

Hahaha our longest drive in the 1st half was 2 minutes... Our offense is a joke. Defense has 0 time to recover or make adjustments.

It was a quarterback issue but it wasn't just a quarterback issue. There were way too many mental mistakes by virtually the whole team. Penalties out the ying yang. Missed tackles. Poorly thrown passes. Drops. Receivers breaking off routes. Greer holding the ball way too long. Ball hitting coverage player who had his back turned. Offensive line didn't give runners opportunity.

Dajon did very well but remember he was playing against their reserves. I do agree that he deserves the chance to start and let's see what he can do against the best. I'd also like to see Wilson and Evans get some running opportunities much earlier in the game. As good as Pegram and Jimmer are, they don't have the speed of the freshmen.

The coaches have a helluva lot to do as well. Keep going over mistakes until they get it right. Inexperience and lack of concentration really showed tonight.

I agree with a lot of this... and i think the QB competition get's 're-opened' this week, and I really think Mac is going to give DW a start on the 20th... which won't mean much... but it will give him all the first team reps heading into Bloomington

^This. We are a young team that makes too many mistakes. Could an experienced QB help smooth some of it over? Absolutely, but I don't think that player is on the roster. Greer reminds me and my buddies of Danny Meager when he was forced to play as a freshman. He panics when the play isn't there and then his mechanics just go completely out the window. He'll get better with time, but he shouldn't be on the field now. Coaching staff blew it not getting a stop gap ready to take over after DT graduated.

• Upvote 1

The D will gel, bank on that. However, with a horrid offense you lean on your D way too much. We literally went 3 & out every drive in the first half except one, and that was an 8 play 25 yard punt. Any defense would crack under that. It's statistics. The butt muff on the punt gave them 7 points and the fumble gave them 7 points. The other 4 scoring drives they had were of 50+ yards. They started to tear into our D in the 2nd Q and scored 3 touchdowns on back-to-back-to-back drives to end the first half. This was attributed to our horrible offense not sniffing out 50 yards of total offense in the first half. You can't do that against ANY team and expect to win, including Nicholls.

UNT is not a bad team, just 1 dementional. Stack the box and make the QB beat us. Your QB was not good. I also noticed that Carlos Harris was your only real playmaker. Your backs didn't show much against the 9 man box. UNT run D is stout and tackle well. Tech is on a roll and playing really good right now.

I wanted to say that UNT has a great stadium and great fans, my family had a blast. Good luck the rest of the way.

• Upvote 5

This.

Rick

I hear ya gray, but a tired D is a doomed D. Tired defenses make petty mistakes that give offenses big gains. Tired defenses also make mental errors that result in penalties. Oh, and they obviously miss tackles. The D playing the way they did including penalties goes right back to the offense. Sub 300 yards of offense is going to put your D in a pickle. Turnovers don't help. Their QB had a great game in the red zone and hit us with timely accurate throws. But aside from his 5 TD's, 243 yards passing is average. It's 2900 yds throughout a 12 game season. Nothing to hang your head about for sure, but nothing that is going to get you national recognition because it's average play. Bottom line is we collectively looked how we looked tonight because of poor offensive production.

On a side note, I literally could not believe that the coaching staff kept sending out Greer drive after drive. I was in utter disbelief. You keep sending out a veteran bc you know its only a matter of time until it clicks. Not a first year player on the FBS level. I am still in disbelief.

GMG

• Upvote 1

Ben's saying what I've been saying. Look how solid the D was in the first quarter. Now think back to last year in games like Ball State. That awesome D, able to get a little bit of rest between series, wears down the opponents. The key is having offensive drives longer than 45 seconds. When the offense is faring that poorly, our style of play actually backfires and wears out our awesome defense rather than the opponent's offense.

• Upvote 2