Vito's Post Game Thoughts

NorthTexan95

Here are five quick thoughts on UNT’s win over SMU.

1. Greer is ready to step into the starting quarterback job

UNT opened up its quarterback competition this week and settled on Josh Greer, who started UNT’s opener. That looks like a good decision now after Greer hit on nine of his 12 attempts for 81 yards and a touchdown. He didn’t put up huge numbers, but he played well.

2. UNT’s defense is for real

UNT lost several key players from its defense that ranked among the best in the country last season, when the Mean Green averaged 17.8 points a game. UNT struggled against Texas in its opener, but looked terrific against SMU.

3. Reggie Pegram is back

Reggie Pegram continued to look good after his return from a torn ACL late last season. He finished with 81 yards on 21 carries and powered UNT’s offense.

4. UNT’s offensive line met the challenge

UNT’s coaches challenged their offensive linemen to bounce back after giving up four sacks in a loss to Texas. The Mean Green played well and controlled the line of scrimmage throughout the day.

5. UNT looks capable of making another bowl game

There was some question over whether UNT was capable of getting back to a bowl game after losing so many key players from a year ago and dropped its opener at Texas. The Mean Green looked capable of competing for a bowl berth and possibly the West Division title.

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/

• Upvote 1

Greer is ready to step into the starting role? He must have watched a different game because Greer still looked stiff. He sat in the pocket to long and looked down his men far to long before releasing the ball. He did decent at best against SMU. When we play rice or UTSA how will he look? There is still a lot of time before these games so hopefully he can settle in, but as of now he is not ready to be under center starting every game.

Other than that he is spot on! I was a little concerned that our d-line could not get more pressure on the SMU QBs.

Edited by Andrew

Spot on....he stares at his primary receiver the entire time. Never, ever goes to second or third option. Why not more bootlegs or screens to the wr's mad running backs? Jimmerson is much slower than the freshmen and can't get the edge like he used to

Jimmerson thinks he can get to the outside every time ... sometimes he does, sometimes he doesn't.

Greer was better this week than last week but still wasn't very good. He has to make another big step forward. I don't think Mac and Mike are sitting here thinking "Greer will now be fine".

Spot on....he stares at his primary receiver the entire time. Never, ever goes to second or third option. Why not more bootlegs or screens to the wr's mad running backs? Jimmerson is much slower than the freshmen and can't get the edge like he used to

Greers performance after 2 games:

1. Vision. Goes through his progressions - NOT AT ALL
  2. Accuracy - OK this game. Horrible last game.
  3. Arm Strength - He does have some zip on the ball (when he has time to set).
  4. Leadership - TBD. He didn't look lost out there today.

#1 could be a real problem for him. It seems like QB's are gifted with this ability or they don't have it. I don't know if I have ever seen a QB "learn" to do this well.

I do give Josh credit for managing the game and not turning the ball over today.

Edited by akriesman

Greers performance after 2 games:

1. Vision. Goes through his progressions - NOT AT ALL
  2. Accuracy - OK this game. Horrible last game.
  3. Arm Strength - He does have some zip on the ball (when he has time to set).
  4. Leadership - TBD. He didn't look lost out there today.

#1 could be a real problem for him. It seems like QB's are gifted with this ability or they don't have it. I don't know if I have ever seen a QB "learn" to do this well.

I do give Josh credit for managing the game and not turning the ball over today.

He did look great handing off over and over. :)

I agree with Grant.

What I saw was light years ahead of last week. He wasn't perfect, but he kept us moving and was pretty efficient going 9-12 and one of those three should have been caught. He had a nice toss for a TD that was called back. Besides a few times where he took too long to make a decision, the only real thing that concerned me was his fumble. Luckily we didn't turn it over then but he has to protect it better. He did enough to be the starter for next week.

One play that I was happy about McNulty was when it seemed like he went through his progressions and threw a nice pass to Kidsy? Even though he caught it out of bounds, it was great to see him not just give it to the #1 on the play when it wasn't there.

All they have to do is keep things honest for our running game. I am growing in confidence that he will get it done.

Edited by Travis
  • Upvote 2

Spot on....he stares at his primary receiver the entire time. Never, ever goes to second or third option.

Considering what happened last week, what do you think a sensible plan for Greer's next game would have been? To simplify things, and to have him get the ball out quickly. I doubt he had third options today.

The TD pass (taken away) was a really nice throw by Greer - that pass gives me some hope.

He threw a couple of "ducks" that were caught.

Agree about the roll-outs... we need more of those while Greer becomes more confident. When our running game between the tackles is working well, that roll-out pass play to the TE is almost always open for 5+ yards.