Spring Football Game

DeepGreen

This was the first time I took anyone to the spring game, my neighbor. He's a Tongan who played for Lineweaver at Trinity and has extended family at various college and pro football programs. He was impressed by Josh Greer, our running game, our offensive line, and of course the beautiful Apogee Stadium and the overall UNT and Denton experience.

Edited by eulessismore
  • Upvote 1

Nice day to be out there, even if it was windy. I enjoyed hot dogs, beer, and UNT softball live on TV at the Alumni Pavilion before going in to watch football. Student side was closed off, so all students (and there were many) sat on west side. This write-up fairly describes the game itself.

http://www.meangreensports.com/sports/m-footbl/recaps/041214aab.html

Evans has speed, but his vision is really, really good. He has a natural vision. He feels the cutback lane opening up before it actually does. Him, Pegram, Jimmerson, And Rollins will be a nice stable. I think if Evans has hands he could be very dangerous in the slot or coming out of the backfield. The RB's showed a lot of promise today.

Who is the kicker Keenan? Have never heard of him until today.

Eric Keena (no n) was the backup punter last year who was a walkon from Keller (Sunrise Mountain). He did the punting today. I don't remember seeing Macek, the regular punter, unless he was over on the white side and I didn't pick up on that.

We have a scholarship kicker coming in this fall, Trevor Moore, who can both placekick and punt and I don't understand giving scholarships to three punters. Can it be that Macek is not returning? But, he had the highest score on workouts of all of the kickers and punters so it makes no sense if he is leaving. Or, can it be that Moore will only placekick? Time will tell.

• Upvote 1

I have no idea why that one was not caught... spring game or not.

It was Darvin Kidsey and he let it go when he probably should have fair caught it. But in his defense, they called his name at the last minute so he was running on the field and he really wasn't prepared to make a good decision. The wind was also wicked out there and that probably played a part.

Eric Keena (no n) was the backup punter last year who was a walkon from Keller (Sunrise Mountain). He did the punting today. I don't remember seeing Macek, the regular punter, unless he was over on the white side and I didn't pick up on that.

We have a scholarship kicker coming in this fall, Trevor Moore, who can both placekick and punt and I don't understand giving scholarships to three punters. Can it be that Macek is not returning? But, he had the highest score on workouts of all of the kickers and punters so it makes no sense if he is leaving. Or, can it be that Moore will only placekick? Time will tell.

I agree it is rare to have that many players especially walk ons on kicking or punting ships but even weirder is two deep snappers who as far as I know never play other than the snaps. Mac is really generous with ships for walk ons. Usually only walk ons who contribute a lot on game day are given ships but Mac has given a bunch to kids who have not been big factors to this point.

• Upvote 2

I was listening to George and Hank on the radio during the game.

George played a taped interview with Coach Mac, who stated Eric Keena , would handle kick off's in 2014.

Keena kick's the ball out of the end zone with his KO's. Both George and Hank talked about Keena's

kick off's going out of the end zone and how Keena would be a powerful weapon for the team.

5000 + fans

The last spring game I can remember where over 5000 fans attended the game, was during Todd Dodge's

first spring game at Fouts Field. I remember meeting FFR in the stands, who said to me, "Are your believing this?" referring to

the big turn out of fans for the spring game. The entire alumni side was packed with fans!

I was listening to George and Hank on the radio during the game.

George played a taped interview with Coach Mac, who stated Eric Keena , would handle kick off's in 2014.

Keena kick's the ball out of the end zone with his KO's. Both George and Hank talked about Keena's

kick off's going out of the end zone and how Keena would be a powerful weapon for the team.

5000 + fans

The last spring game I can remember where over 5000 fans attended the game, was during Todd Dodge's

first spring game at Fouts Field. I remember meeting FFR in the stands, who said to me, "Are your believing this?" referring to

the big turn out of fans for the spring game. The entire alumni side was packed with fans!

According to Vito, we had about 5300 fans. Wild. Tailgating was good too.

From the article I posted on second page yesterday....

North Texas also announced five walk-ons had earned scholarships: junior kicker Zach Paul, senior wide receiverJohn Chelf, senior defensive back Sheldon Wade, sophomore deep snapper Tony Johnson, and junior tight endJarrod Lynn.

Thanks. So indeed no ship for eric evans. It just seemed hard to believe for me, when we have two deep snappers on ships

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1

Thanks. So indeed no ship for eric evans. It just seemed hard to believe for me, when we have two deep snappers on ships

Well, didn't Tony Johnson take over ds duties early last season when Blake Dunham went down with an injury? Maybe it says something about him that we didn't hear that much about him, playing that somewhat thankless position. As for Evans, I'm betting he ends up on scholly sooner than later. There does seem to be some logic to which walkons Mac awards a scholarship and when, I'm guessing some of which relates to NCAA rules which have been discussed or cussed here.

Edited by eulessismore

I see Tony Johnson and Zach Paul as pay for their service last year. Johnson was the long snapper after Dunham went down with the broken foot and Paul took over kicking duties (except for kickoffs) after Olen's funk. Macek also kicked without a scholarship last year but, as said, I believe that he was awarded one earlier.

• Upvote 1

The Secondary had plenty of busted coverages. Run defense wasn't great. Good pas rush

I agree. Still pissed about one play in particular during the last series where a pass through the middle should have never been caught. Had his hands on him and he still slipped through. Ugh.

As has been the case the past 4 Aprils,.. and possibly the case for every Saturday the next 8-12 Aprils...I was at a softball field. So I want to thank everyone for their response and reports as I may not see another Spring game for some time to come.

With that I have one question I didn't see mentioned. Was Boomer there?

UURpmfG.jpg

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick