Spring Football Game

DeepGreen

Attendance was great. Full alumni side lower level, moderate into top. 4-5,000(Max.) Defense looks as good as last year. Offense is iffy, Jimmerson looked good but fumbled badly. McNulty wasn't impressive. Means looked excellent but had a lot of freshman problems, threw a few easy pick sixes. Greer will be the starter, IMO.

Tailgating was surprisingly lively.

Didn't see a lot of Evans, but other than the fumble, he looked fantastic. He will be huge for us. I thought MacNulty looked good, he was hitting guys in stride and even threw a couple of good passes downfield. His arm looks stronger to me than it used to. He had one embarrassing fumble but no INTs (unless it was in the first few minutes, which I missed). I thought he looked better than Greer most of the time, but both are decent QBs. Means has something and with some time could be a really good QB for us but he isn't ready yet.

Just my thoughts...

Offense

I don't think either QB took a lead in the battle for the starting job. Both had good and bad plays. Means looks like he will develop into a solid QB down the road. I thought he did a fine job today. Jimmerson looked good today. Evans is something special. In the very limited time he got today, he made every carry count. The WRs looked very solid. Harris and Kidsey seem very reliable. Terrell looked great over the middle. Smiley was a very nice surprise. Y'Barbo was out today, so the O-line was thin. I'm confident they will be a strength again next season.

Defense

They sure can get to the QB. It was nice to see they can still force turn overs. They really did control most of the game. Like on offense, many of the defensive starters were out today. Didn't see Lee, and Jones is probably still recovering from his surgery. Sed Ellis looked very good. I also like the way Fred Scott plays. I think our LBs will again be a strength for this team. Whitfield probably could have been the player of the game, but dropped a few pick 6s.

• Upvote 1

was impressed with Connor Means, still needs to redshirt but could be a very solid QB in the future. We're pretty deep at RB, all showed flashes. Jimmy's long run, Evans burst, Tucker and Lewis, even Wilhite looked good. Sed Ellis is going to be a player, like his speed.

The thing that impressed me is the competiveness of the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th teamers. You can tell they are well coached, yes sometimes they might make mental mistakes but they all know how to block, tackle, and run. None really seemed to be in over their head.

Edited by Marty
  • Upvote 1