UNT Pro Day

eagle2014

one area where our players seem to be trailing players from other schools is in the number of bench reps they do. the player with the most reps at 225lbs today was mccoy with 21, that's really low compared to what the top 15 did at the nfl combine for dl, which ranged from 35 down to 27. I don't notice it during the games and I think coach winstrich (sp?) is doing a hell of a job, but the numbers are low. below is the number of reps for those I heard today and the range from the top 15 in the nfl combine for that position group.

brelan - 15 (wrs 23-15) good number for brelan, probably the best in the group today when you take size into account.

orr - 14 (lbs 30-23) this shocked me. that's low for a lb.

byrd - 17 (rbs 32-19) not bad. *that 32 was thrown out there by a freak of nature though, the second highest reps by a running back was 26.

mccoy - 21 (dls 35-27) not that great of a number for a 320 lb lineman. I know longer arms make it more difficult, but when a dl wouldn't even have the highest number reps in the wr group, that seems pretty bad.

Edited by Green Crazy

After seeing Brelan's numbers (specifically, his bench reps), my fears of him being susceptible to injury in the NFL have subsided a little. I was worried because of the way he returned kicks and was just overall stubborn about going down, that he may open himself up to injury versus these dudes in the NFL. It looks like he's genuinely strong enough to handle his own and fight for those yards without getting hurt.

My bad Brelan. Go make some NFL money and make us all proud!

• Upvote 1

one area where our players seem to be trailing players from other schools is in the number of bench reps they do. the player with the most reps at 225lbs today was mccoy with 21, that's really low compared to what the top 15 did at the nfl combine for dl, which ranged from 35 down to 27. I don't notice it during the games and I think coach winstrich (sp?) is doing a hell of a job, but the numbers are low. below is the number of reps for those I heard today and the range from the top 15 in the nfl combine for that position group.

brelan - 15 (wrs 23-15) good number for brelan, probably the best in the group today when you take size into account.

orr - 14 (lbs 30-23) this shocked me. that's low for a lb.

byrd - 17 (rbs 32-19) not bad. *that 32 was thrown out there by a freak of nature though, the second highest reps by a running back was 26.

mccoy - 21 (dls 35-27) not that great of a number for a 320 lb lineman. I know longer arms make it more difficult, but when a dl wouldn't even have the highest number reps in the wr group, that seems pretty bad.

I think this is a very valid observation.

In the Beyond the Green episode where they focus on Coach Wintrich's program, he talks about how his philosophy is different than a lot of coaches. Typically, they will just try to get people's bench numbers up, but he is focusing on football performance and on field practical strength.

In my opinion, his philosophy produced strong, fast, hard hitting football.

This is true. It is easy to train for reps and it is more representative of muscular endurance. Working in the fitness industry for the past 22 years, this test never really made sense to me considering football is an explosive sport, not an endurance sport. I like Wintrich's approach of emphasizing explosive power since it replicates what occurs during a game.

Ryan ran 4.91 against the wind and 4.59 with the wind. They take the average - 4.75

Bench - 19

Verticle - 32 inches

Broad jump 9'5"

All PRs except Bench (20)

I didn't get theShuttle or the "L" times.

• Upvote 1

Ryan ran 4.91 against the wind and 4.59 with the wind. They take the average - 4.75

Bench - 19

Verticle - 32 inches

Broad jump 9'5"

Seriously fast for a defensive lineman. Wonder if anyone would consider having him drop a few pounds, get a little faster, and be a hella big middle linebacker in a 4-3 NFL scheme.

• Upvote 2

After seeing Brelan's numbers (specifically, his bench reps), my fears of him being susceptible to injury in the NFL have subsided a little. I was worried because of the way he returned kicks and was just overall stubborn about going down, that he may open himself up to injury versus these dudes in the NFL. It looks like he's genuinely strong enough to handle his own and fight for those yards without getting hurt.

if squats was a test i would think that he would be at or near the top compared to receivers around the country...

• Upvote 2

Well, I'm just really excited for Brelan. But he generated excitement for his entire career at UNT.

• Upvote 1

This is true. It is easy to train for reps and it is more representative of muscular endurance. Working in the fitness industry for the past 22 years, this test never really made sense to me considering football is an explosive sport, not an endurance sport. I like Wintrich's approach of emphasizing explosive power since it replicates what occurs during a game.

I don't know exactly why they care, but guys like kiper and mayock pay attention to rep numbers, especially for lineman.

Bench - 19

Verticle - 32 inches

Broad jump 9'5"

Congrats to Ryan. Sounds like he has continued to work his tail off. Just he did the whole time he was here. Wish him the best of luck.

Green Crazy

Byrd numbers would have been good for 8th best at the combine.

32= 1st

26= 2nd

24= 3rd

23= 4th

20= 5th

19= 6

18= 7th

17= 8th best among running backs, Not Bad but GOOD! And also Byrd numbers were good across the board compared to the Elite 36 backs invited to the combine.

I see at least 6 of our Mean Green Seniors in camp this spring. .

In the Beyond the Green episode where they focus on Coach Wintrich's program, he talks about how his philosophy is different than a lot of coaches. Typically, they will just try to get people's bench numbers up, but he is focusing on football performance and on field practical strength.

In my opinion, his philosophy produced strong, fast, hard hitting football.

Programs like Wintrich's seem to be the "next wave" in the industry - with the face of the movement being Stanford's Shannon Turley.

This NYT article talks about Turley's program being based on Functional Movement Screen scores rather than the more traditional evaluations (like bench press numbers). This is designed both for on-field performance and injury prevention.

This may seem rough for their pro evaluations right now but I think it will serve our guys well long-term as a critical element to their ability to make rosters will be avoiding injury early in OTAs & camps so that coaches can truly see their skill set.

Edited by jdennis82
  • Upvote 1

Green Crazy

Byrd numbers would have been good for 8th best at the combine.

32= 1st

26= 2nd

24= 3rd

23= 4th

20= 5th

19= 6

18= 7th

17= 8th best among running backs, Not Bad but GOOD! And also Byrd numbers were good across the board compared to the Elite 36 backs invited to the combine.

I see at least 6 of our Mean Green Seniors in camp this spring. .

17 reps would of been the 8th highest number of reps, I was referring to the number of players in front of him.

Okay, here is something interesting. MOPAR compared Brandan Byrd's performance to the RB that attended the NFL Combine, I compard Ryan's numbers.

His 4.59 is 3rd fasted for DE's. Fastest for DT's. Even his "Averaged" 40 is 11th for DE's and 2nd for DT's.

For DEs he is Top 20 on everything else.

For DT's he is Top 5 on everything except Bench.

Granted... he in not 6'6" and doesn't weight 300 lbs either.

As he say's, "Should have played better in college."

• Upvote 2

Thank you. I've always felt bench was terrible metric to determine strength and appreciate the work Wintrich does in a compiling full-body regimen that builds strength not just the glamorous and aesthetically pleasing way something like a bench-focus would, but also tone, injury-resistance and endurance.