SMU manages to schedule home and home with Baylor

UNT90

I wish we had a cycle of interesting home OOC games.

I'd take the downs to get to the ups.

SMU's stadium seats roughly the sane amount as UNT. Why do we have such a problem scheduling teams that will draw interest from the casual college football fan?

I guess we will just have to look forward to the 2 money ganes in 2015.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Look few people are going to want to go to Apogee in the next 10 years. That doesn't mean they won't come, but it only got harder and I love it because that means we are not an easy W. I go to Apogee to watch my Mean Green, bond with the diehards, welcome opposing fans, cheer like heck and hopefully see a lot of W's. I travel and hope for the same thing. All in the hope that it leads to a nice date against a foe big or small around holiday time.

Baylor would not be fun to play right now home or away. I like the Big 10 middle of the road programs like Minnesota, Indiana, Northwestern...Go get BYU down here so they can recruit Austin and Dallas. Go get California, Washington State, Utah or Arizona (though they would be tough too). Louisville will not be coming to Dallas anymore and they are strongless so see if you can get a date with the Ville.

GMG

Look few people are going to want to go to Apogee in the next 10 years. That doesn't mean they won't come, but it only got harder and I love it because that means we are not an easy W. I go to Apogee to watch my Mean Green, bond with the diehards, welcome opposing fans, cheer like heck and hopefully see a lot of W's. I travel and hope for the same thing. All in the hope that it leads to a nice date against a foe big or small around holiday time.

GMG

That's an excuse. SMU signed these games on the heels of their recent success.

Bottom line, we only play big name teams for a paycheck.

• Upvote 2

FIU : Louisville , Pittsburgh (2014) Maryland (2016)

FAU : Miami,FL (2016)

WKU : Vanderbilt (2016)

Marshall : Purdue (2015) Louisville (2016)

MTSU : BYU (2014) Vanderbilt (2015 & 2017)

Old Dominion : NC State (2015) Virginia Tech ( 2018 , 2022 & 2024)

UAB : Mississippi St ( TBD)

Louisiana Tech : Mississippi St ( 2016)

Rice : Baylor (2016) Northwestern (2018) Wake Forrest (TBD)

Southern Miss : Mississippi St (2015) BYU ( 2015)

UTEP : Texas Tech (2014) Arizona (TBD)

UTSA : Arizona (2014) Kansas St (2015) Arizona St (2016) Baylor (2018)

We are the only team that doesn't have a home series set up in the future w/ a p5 school

And again, we can't because we have zero scheduling flexibility thanks to a horrendous 2 game contract with Iowa. If there is any way to get the F out if that contract, we need to do it.

But hey, the good news is that we get 5 home games in 2015 while playing both Tennessee and Iowa on the road. Doesn't set your football team up for a successful year.

Single worst thing this AD does. Even worse than hiring.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Baylor would not be fun to play right now home or away. I like the Big 10 middle of the road programs like Minnesota, Indiana, Northwestern...Go get BYU down here so they can recruit Austin and Dallas. Go get California, Washington State, Utah or Arizona (though they would be tough too). Louisville will not be coming to Dallas anymore and they are strongless so see if you can get a date with the Ville.

GMG

Bring BYU would sell out Apogee. They travel really well, I was highly impressed by the crowd they bought to the UH game last season.

Edited by Eastwood Eagle

FIU : Louisville , Pittsburgh (2014) Maryland (2016)

FAU : Miami,FL (2016)

WKU : Vanderbilt (2016)

Marshall : Purdue (2015) Louisville (2016)

MTSU : BYU (2014) Vanderbilt (2015 & 2017)

Old Dominion : NC State (2015) Virginia Tech ( 2018 , 2022 & 2024)

UAB : Mississippi St ( TBD)

Louisiana Tech : Mississippi St ( 2016)

Rice : Baylor (2016) Northwestern (2018) Wake Forrest (TBD)

Southern Miss : Mississippi St (2015) BYU ( 2015)

UTEP : Texas Tech (2014) Arizona (TBD)

UTSA : Arizona (2014) Kansas St (2015) Arizona St (2016) Baylor (2018)

We are the only team that doesn't have a home series set up in the future w/ a p5 school

Speaking of conference mates taking their scheduling and growth in stride.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/27/old-dominion-turned-down-opportunity-to-be-destroyed-by-alabama/

A great deal of that can be attributed to their history with those schools. The SWC still sings loudl enough. Plus I think the Bears and Aggies get more out of Dallas than Denton. That being said, I agree we need to do better getting folks here. I like the ideas thrown out for Big 10s and PAC 12s...MWC and AAC too

Edited by tmjerm

A great deal of that can be attributed to their history with those schools. The SWC still sings loudl enough. Plus I think the Bears and Aggies get more out of Dallas than Denton. That being said, I agree we need to do better getting folks here. I like the ideas thrown out for Big 10s and PAC 12s...MWC and AAC too

This.

The A&M fans, the Baylor fans, the Tech fans, and the TCU fans all know SMU really well because of the SWC days. Plus, its an easy trip to North Dallas for many of their alums in the Metroplex. I'll never forget the years we played Baylor in Waco and TCU in Ft. Worth that George Dunham got an earful from their fans about how much they hated playing us, that is was beneath them and that it was a no-win situation--he brought it up the next week after those games on the Ticket.

SMU has the name recongition, media coverage, and the money that these teams openly see.

I've always said that for OOC games, now that we don't play in a toilet for a stadium, we should be able to get two good games per year. The SMU/Army games make up one of those games. The other game should be against either a P5 school or a name team from the MWC or BYU. I know that we have to play one bodybag game a year, which is fine for a school at our level, but it needs to be against a Big Ten/ACC/Pac 12 school. No more games at SEC powerhouses. Playing at Texas or Texas A&M are the only teams that should trump that rule since they are the largest schools in this state. Otherwise, a money game at Iowa is fine, even though most of us thought that was a team that Apogee would be able to host just fine as a part of an actual series.

Last year, I did one of these analysis - home and homes of other schools with BCS conferences.

We've hitched our wagon to SMU and Army, and that is fine. If I could change one thing, it would be to not have such a long series with Army. I'd take a home and home with Army and also try to get home and home with the other two service academies, Air Force and Navy.

Fellas...Georgia State has a home and home with Air Force (2014, 2016)...I mean...come on. Georgia State. And, Air Force will host Abilene Christian in 2016. Abilene Christian, you all. ACU. Your grandfather's Abilene Christian College of Johnny Perkins, Wilbert and Cle Montgomery, and that Olympic Pole Vaulter whose name I can't recall.

Texas State will host Navy this year. Navy hosts the likes of Colgate and Fordham in 2015 and 2016. Navy plays at FAU in 2017.

I like the Army thing, but the long series? One more home and home would have done the job.

I loved the winnable MAC home and homes we played. Not opposed to more of that, but with MWC schools this time around. Colorado State has a four game home and home already with UTSA. Yep. UTSA.

San Jose State and San Diego State have pretty open schedules in the future. Sexy? No. But, different and winnable. And, an ultra rare UNT trip to Cali. When's that last time we've been in California for football?

Our last trip into that time zone was 1997 with a visit to Oregon State. Our last trip to Cali was 1981 at San Jose State.