Ryan Walters heading to Memphis

dml7007

I think everyone knew that Walters was on a fast track and heading places. He was our top recruiter and completely rebuilt the corner position results. I think what stings here is the fact he made a lateral move to a nonp5 school. Some of us had held out hope that we had distanced from those Dickey days where every year our top recruiting assistant would leave and UNT would not do anything to keep them. We have yet to get the details on this, but initially it looks like the same old story except now they are joining Dickey versus leaving him.

I think everyone knew that Walters was on a fast track and heading places. He was our top recruiter and completely rebuilt the corner position results. I think what stings here is the fact he made a lateral move to a nonp5 school. Some of us had held out hope that we had distanced from those Dickey days where every year our top recruiting assistant would leave and UNT would not do anything to keep them. We have yet to get the details on this, but initially it looks like the same old story except now they are joining Dickey versus leaving him.

This is exactly my fear. I thought we had got past the point where we couldn't outbid a school like Memphis.

This is exactly my fear. I thought we had got past the point where we couldn't outbid a school like Memphis.

That is exactly my point. There is no doubt that Memphis has a bigger budget to work with. The Mac contract should give you some flexibility. If you restructure his deal and make it close you have a shot at keeping him. My argument is he won't be at Memphis long either -- he will rejoin Stoops or some other p5 in short order. So sell him on the fact he can do that here, doesn't have to move etc.. he just had a kid so you know they aren't wanting to go through a move. The only thing I can think of is maybe he or his wife have family from that area. If not, and this was just a money move I would like to know whether or not we tried to keep him.

Good luck to Coach Walters. Really good coach and recruiter. I have the utmost confidence that Coach Mac will make a good hire, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. He has done a great job a bringing in good coaches here.

I hope we can lock up Coach Kevin Patrick long term. I'd like to have someone in place to take over for Coach Mac or Coach Skladany once they are ready to retire (whenever that may be).

Good luck to Coach Walters. Really good coach and recruiter. I have the utmost confidence that Coach Mac will make a good hire, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. He has done a great job a bringing in good coaches here.

I hope we can lock up Coach Kevin Patrick long term. I'd like to have someone in place to take over for Coach Mac or Coach Skladany once they are ready to retire (whenever that may be).

Sounds like coach McCarney thinks coach Joseph is that guy (to take over for Skladany).

• Upvote 1

The last CB coach at Memphis made 208k a year (Chris Vaughn). Not sure what Ryan was getting made Justin Gaines made just 60k a year. Even MTSU's CB coach makes over 100k a year.

I am sure that we will allot some extra money to increase the assistant's salaries but if we got Ryan at 60k then that was a helluva steal and one that would definitely make him immediately start pondering which program he is bouncing to next.

http://memphis.247sports.com/Board/59482/Memphis-football-salaries-2013-24033082/1#a24641592

Best of luck to him.

*Edit....just confirmed that Walters was making 63k a year.

The last CB coach at Memphis made 208k a year (Chris Vaughn). Not sure what Ryan was getting made Justin Gaines made just 60k a year. Even MTSU's CB coach makes over 100k a year.

I am sure that we will allot some extra money to increase the assistant's salaries but if we got Ryan at 60k then that was a helluva steal and one that would definitely make him immediately start pondering which program he is bouncing to next.

http://memphis.247sports.com/Board/59482/Memphis-football-salaries-2013-24033082/1#a24641592

Best of luck to him.

That is pathetic.

Base salaries of other C-USA cornerback coaches:

MTSU: $110,296 (also co-defensive coordinator)

UTEP: $95,000

FIU: $92,000

WKU: $75,000 (as Sun Belt school)

Southern Miss: $90,000 (as they continue to pay fired Ellis Johnson's salary for another 3 years)

LaTech: $90,000

• Upvote 2

This really is an embarrassment. If we can't afford to be competitive in coaching salary, why the hell are we playing at this level?

I think we can afford it, but choose to do everything as cheaply as possible.

I mean, if it ain't broke...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1