Our program hardest to deal with?

SilverEagle

http://www.star-telegram.com/2014/02/05/5544440/recruiting-confidential.html

Here is the part about NT.

3. What coaches/programs have been the most difficult to deal with?

1. North Texas

2. SMU, Kansas

3. Kentucky, Baylor, TCU, Texas A&M, Houston (Kevin Sumlin)

4. Why were they so difficult? Any horror stories?

• “Not so much difficult to deal with as it is difficult to communicate with them and hear back from them. I feel that they are in the middle of the most talented football area in the country and should have great relationships with every single high school in DFW, but it does not seem like they do. I do not know where they focus their energy recruiting, but I think more of it should be focused right in their own back yard.” (SMU, North Texas)

• “Baylor dropped one of my players in 2012 for no reason. It was in midseason, and the kid had missed out on several other opportunities at schools who had already filled up. None of their coaches bothered to contact the kid or the parents to let them know. I had to break the news to them. Coach Briles never even bothered to contact me. I had to hear it from our recruiter. The kid wound up going to Rice, but the incident made for some strained relationships between college, kid, family and myself.”

• “Didn’t honor scholarship offers, after our kids didn’t pursue any other schools.” (Kansas, Kentucky)

• “I don’t care for their recruiting tactics and lack of commitment on offers.” (Baylor)

• “One phrase from a mom comes to mind: ‘used car salesmen.’ ” (Kansas)

• “Could do a better job considering that they are so close. But, If we have a player that can play on their level, they usually know about them.” (SMU, North Texas)

• “Very arrogant and when they do stop by it is very fast and act like they don’t really care.” (Texas A&M)

I was very surprised to see this. This coaching staff has done much more than previous staffs to reach out to the high schools. It could be a small sample size and the reporter just happened to come to a coach who had a bad experience with us, had a different opinion of his players than us, or maybe is still remembering things from the Dickey days.

• Upvote 2

I was very surprised to see this. This coaching staff has done much more than previous staffs to reach out to the high schools. It could be a small sample size and the reporter just happened to come to a coach who had a bad experience with us, had a different opinion of his players than us, or maybe is still remembering things from the Dickey days.

I'm hoping this is the case. During the Dickey years, getting the recruitment coordinator to communicate with you was almost impossible.

i think, regardless of what the coaches are basing this off of, it would be a good thing for our coaches to see this. not that they need an ego suppressant, but nothing makes one work harder than having clear examples of the work left to be done.

from what i read, this is mostly just the need for more contact with our coaches. im sure it was a coach who was trying to sell his player who we didnt really want so there's also the HS coaches' motivations to consider...

• Upvote 1

i think, regardless of what the coaches are basing this off of, it would be a good thing for our coaches to see this. not that they need an ego suppressant, but nothing makes one work harder than having clear examples of the work left to be done.

from what i read, this is mostly just the need for more contact with our coaches. im sure it was a coach who was trying to sell his player who we didnt really want so there's also the HS coaches' motivations to consider...

I agree. Also, the sample size was 12 coaches, which is a very small percentage of area coaches. I would love to know who the 12 are and the schools they represent.

• Upvote 2

I know one instance where Chico tweeted a coach good luck when that coach had lost the previous week in the playoffs... they also tried to get film on a player who had passed away several weeks earlier. I love everything our staff is doing and has done to recruit better but these seem like not very easy mistakes to overlook. These both happened to the same school/coach a very dominant 5 a team in DFW.

I know one instance where Chico tweeted a coach good luck when that coach had lost the previous week in the playoffs... they also tried to get film on a player who had passed away several weeks earlier. I love everything our staff is doing and has done to recruit better but these seem like not very easy mistakes to overlook. These both happened to the same school/coach a very dominant 5 a team in DFW.

I wonder if this is a staffing issue. Our coaches might not have the support staff to help them keep up with so many kids that the B12 schools do.

Considering Houston is on the list because of a previous staff, it's altogether possible that we are too.

The number of Ft. Worth coaches responsible for our low rating doesn't matter, and last I looked Dickey has been gone 6 years. So far the response of this board appears to be denial. Its like asking customers why they don't like a product and if you get the answer you want it must be them, not us. Regardless, perception becomes reality if not corrected.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I agree that NT is mentioned because it is a local college that many coaches think should be damn happy to look at anyone they think is worthy of a second tier ship. McCarney is too smart to alienate anyone intentionally that is pivotable in NT's football success.

A lot of the same coaches swoon at the visits of UT and A & M.

The number of Ft. Worth coaches responsible for our low rating doesn't matter, and last I looked Dickey has been gone 6 years. So far the response of this board appears to be denial. Its like asking customers why they don't like a product and if you get the answer you want it must be them, not us. Regardless, perception becomes reality if not corrected.

While it is something to be looked at, the size of the survey DOES matter. A poor sample, either in size or statistical randomness, would invalidate the results of the study. According to the story, the ASKED a total of 12 coaches. It could easily be that only 6 responded - 50% response would be incredibly high for any survey! Also note that Texas A&M recruiters are simultaneously "great guys" and "very arrogant" and "act like the don't care."

This should not be ignored, but it also shouldn't cause a lot of worry unless further investigation shows a problem.

• Upvote 1

While it is something to be looked at, the size of the survey DOES matter. A poor sample, either in size or statistical randomness, would invalidate the results of the study. According to the story, the ASKED a total of 12 coaches. It could easily be that only 6 responded - 50% response would be incredibly high for any survey! Also note that Texas A&M recruiters are simultaneously "great guys" and "very arrogant" and "act like the don't care."

This should not be ignored, but it also shouldn't cause a lot of worry unless further investigation shows a problem.

The main reason I was concerned was that the story was right across from the summaries of the local schools signing lists. IMHO the story was given entirely to much space for using such a minimal sampling of coaches.

The main reason I was concerned was that the story was right across from the summaries of the local schools signing lists. IMHO the story was given entirely to much space for using such a minimal sampling of coaches.

I didn't see the placement in the paper, just the online version. Yes, you are quite correct. I think DISD by itself has 16 high schools that play football.