Lifetime Contract for Mac? (ARCHIVE)

filmerj

Extend him 3 more years now...then if we beat Texas for the first time EVER, change it to let him stay as long as he damn well pleases. If he has to beat both UT and the refs (a la 1988), and does so, then he also gets a fat incentive, like a case of Grey Goose every month.

If Coach Mac were 40 and unproven, then I would be concerned, but he will likely coach 5 more years at the most. Plus, his personality will not allow him to "rest on his laurels" and coast. He is committed to building this program, has shown he knows what he is doing, connects with students and fans of all ages, is a great representative for North Texas, brings passion to the position that I have never seen at North Texas and brings respect to our program. Great move.

My thoughts exactly.

Mac is now committed to the success of this program even beyond his personal coaching days. His coaching legacy will largely be based on if NT becomes a consistently successful program (like the typical examples: Boise, Louisville...). His motivation is not a question here and he'll be very involved in making sure he doesn't leave things in shambles whenever he does decide to hang it up.

I'm proud of the men he's producing on and off the field and am extremely glad to know that development of men will continue.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

Easy on Dickey.... He wasn't a fan favorite but he did do four things Mac hasn't done for our school yet...

As far as a lifetime contract, I like the symbolic nature and what it says to the recruits about our commitment to them and the program, but its a little soon in Mac's tenure here to reward him that..... two more bowl births and a conference championship in the next two years and I'm all on board, not till then.

Like recruit DaMN State Top 100s?

I MIGHT feel better about a lifetime contract if our recruiting was leaps and bound above where it used to be and we were pulling in 4* defensive linemen.

Plus, are we really surprised at this point, that RV would make a questionable decision involving coaching?

Stupid comes to my mind! I don't have a problem with extending the man but shouldn't he at least reach .500 before we discuss a lifetime contract? Everyone knows that this program had been down for a while; in part because of the lack of head coach experience from the guys running the show (and on shoe string budgets)

We need to stop fearing that Mac is the only coach in America we can attract to improve upon the past 1-2 win seasons by going 5-7, 4-8 and then 9-4 (n a bad league); with someone else's recruits. He is deserving of an extension and some extra movie passes. History has shown that long-term contracts are not healthy. (Especially at North Texas)

^^These^^ guys sounds smart, and are probably handsome too.

PS: I miss Cooley.

• Upvote 3

Yeah, where am I at in these? For the ones that always clamor, "that's not what you were saying 2 years ago"....shhhhhhh. 

I have said since I got on board....This staff is playing with fire trying to manipulate a G5 program in the image of Alabama. There isn't ONE good G5 program in the country that hangs their hat on good defense and special teams and running the football. None. I thought it then, I think it now and until parity in recruiting is established I will always think it. 

For some of you though...whew....I get the green kool-aid in 2013, but someone seriously spiked your drink, heavily. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

One of the rarest of times where UNT90 was completely on point with his post. 

actually, I've been quite on point for some time now with this program. 

How is that 5 home game season (which I said was coming after the 2012 season) treating you? 

Was SMU a little tougher than you thought? 

Does this year's schedule greatly impede success for UNT (although I initially thought it would limit us to 3 wins, the possibility of zero wins is greatly increased by no FBS QB and the awful scheduling plan rolled out by this AD year after year after year after year)?

I also told this fan base that they would greatly miss DT. Those that are still grudgingly holding onto the mantra "anyone on the roster is as good as DT" are simply in a state of denial. 

And I'll add a new prediction for you. RV will be gone by Feb. 1, one way or the other (forced retirement or firing). By that time we will have finished up a terrible football season and be smack dab in the middle of basketball season. That will allow the new AD to fire Benford at the end of the year and hire a replacement.

And I'll predict that against overwhelming odds, UNT hires a younger, much more effective AD who manages to keep the 15 "big donors" around and adds about 30 more in his first 3 years on the job. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 7

actually, I've been quite on point for some time now with this program. 

How is that 5 home game season (which I said was coming after the 2012 season) treating you? 

Was SMU a little tougher than you thought? 

Does this year's schedule greatly impede success for UNT (although I initially thought it would limit us to 3 wins, the possibility of zero wins is greatly increased by the awful scheduling plan rolled out by this AD year after year after year after year.

I also told this fan base that they would greatly miss DT. Those that are still grudgingly holding onto the mantra "anyone on the roster is as good as DT" are simply in a state of denial. 

And I'll add a new prediction for you. RV will be gone by Feb. 1, one way or the other (forced retirement or firing). By that time we will have finished up a terrible football season and be smack dab in the middle of basketball season. That will allow the new AD to fire Benford at the end of the year and hire a replacement.

And I'll predict that against overwhelming odds, UNT hires a younger, much more effective AD who manages to keep the 15 "big donors" around and ads about 30 more in his first 3 years on the job. 

When do you predict Mac gets fired or leaves?

• Upvote 2

When do you predict Mac gets fired or leaves?

I'll answer for him...

Mid-season 2017. This is basically 2.5 years of ass whippings in store. Hang on folks....Thanks RV. 

And really if you add 2014, 3.5 years of ass whippings. Whew. No wonder this program and school is in the rut it is in. 

Edited by Ben Gooding
add
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Great bump--this shows how starved our fanbase is for success...a lifetime contract? After a 9-4 season?

The only lifetime contracts we give out aren't on paper--they are given by the BOR to our AD. ANd I'll believe he is gone only when he is officially walking out of the AD's office for the last time. Here's a hint--it ain't gonna be anytime soon. Flyonthewall and his wealthy buddies adore RV--so does the BOR, since he keeps us in budget.

• Upvote 1

Great bump--this shows how starved our fanbase is for success...a lifetime contract? After a 9-4 season?

The only lifetime contracts we give out aren't on paper--they are given by the BOR to our AD. ANd I'll believe he is gone only when he is officially walking out of the AD's office for the last time. Here's a hint--it ain't gonna be anytime soon. Flyonthewall and his wealthy buddies adore RV--so does the BOR, since he keeps us in budget.

If we go 0-12 or 1-11, something will happen. I don't care if RV is as slick as Johnnie effing Cochran around here.

• Upvote 3

I really believe he gets fired this year if we don't win at least 4 games.

And how are we raising the money for this?   If we cannot even raise the money for Benford's buyout, there's no way we're raising, what 4X?, the amount of money needed to buy out McCarney.

And before Fly comes on here and tells us the money is there:  Apparently it is, but you guys are (and I appreciate this greatly!) spending it on facilities... not on the coaches.

• Upvote 2

No, but that's where I think the line is for the people who make these decisions.

Why? If your reason is money then I disagree.

because I don't think the will to pull the trigger is there, especially if RV is still the AD into January. RV won't fire DMac because he knows how it will reflect on his own legacy. A new AD will give him a year.