Tulane (1/11/14)

CMJ

I don't think Jones has gotten worse; I think Benford has forced him into a different role that he at this point is not that good at. Jones was the guy that coach Jones gave the ball to in tight situations as a freshman.

NT's non starters logged 95 minutes, Tulane's 49 minutes. Benford made 40 substitutions or an average of one a minute based on my count from the play by play.

Tulane is a very young team and their best player in this game was a freshman.

43 fouls called.

Between the subbing and the fouls the games at home have been awful slow and boring :(

I do wish between Benford and the refs would let the game actually move and let us watch some good back and forth basketball.

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 1

I don't think a guy could ever be a star player under Benford's current system. Too much sub in, sub out.....sub in, sub out. The best players aren't allowed to play enough consistent minutes .....to ever make All Conference. Josh White used to have games where he'd play 38....some times 40 minutes. Tristan would get 35 or more. Those guys would be floundering under TB.

To me in the current Benford system....instead of having 5 starters play significant minutes....with some subs coming in to spell them or take over in injury/foul/ or "off game" situations....it's almost like Benford has a team of 12 "Sixth Man" (s).

• Upvote 2

I don't think a guy could ever be a star player under Benford's current system. Too much sub in, sub out.....sub in, sub out. The best players aren't allowed to play enough consistent minutes .....to ever make All Conference. Josh White used to have games where he'd play 38....some times 40 minutes. Tristan would get 35 or more. Those guys would be floundering under TB.

To me in the current Benford system....instead of having 5 starters play significant minutes....with some subs coming in to spell them or take over in injury/foul/ or "off game" situations....it's almost like Benford has a team of 12 "Sixth Man" (s).

And that is the problem with coaching. That is something he needs to work on. I do wonder how it will affect the players like CJ if he never touches the floor again all season, but having a solid 7 maybe 8 guys is what's best. I do feel bad for guys like CJ or Armani who would find the end of the bench potentially, but it would allow our best guys to take over. Although I would feel more comfortable with guys getting 30 to at most 34 minutes. 38 can push the limits and lead to injuries.

• Upvote 1

Maybe Benford should teach them how to tie their shows and wipe their bottoms while he is at it. Since most people on here act like these adult men are little children who have no accountability. No one is saying. Benford is not at fault for something that have occurred. But to not hold adults accountable who are the ones performing is a joke. Of course that is the problem with our country anyway. No one can take blame or responsibility. You just throw it on one person and make a straw man out of them. If a 18 year old can go to the NBA where they are not going to waste time teaching you how to box out and make free throws then they can certainly participate in a college practice and be held accountable for things on their own. They can hit the gym and shoot the free throws.

As usual I will be at every game and cheer on the team no matter what. I could care less if they lose 50 games in a row and have a bunch of walk on splaying. I will always show up. This team will get it together and deserves our support. Both players and coaches. Blame players for escudo on in the court and blame coaches for a poor game plan. Seems fair enough. Let's move on a win on the road.

So you hate the troops, the problems of our country and straw men. Got it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

One thing that I saw that concerned me was that we did a poor job of guarding the paint. We also gave up a lot of offensive rebounds.

Yes that's called help side defense. It was non existent today just like the crowd.

UNT has got a bunch of basketball players they don't have a team. It's just a group of guys who don't have much time playing together and now they are expected to perform at a high level and it ain't happening. No cohesiveness.

Problems with coaching and players not executing. It's equally apparent. Not sure how'd I attack teams with the group we have.

• Upvote 1

Maybe Benford should teach them how to tie their shows and wipe their bottoms while he is at it. Since most people on here act like these adult men are little children who have no accountability. No one is saying. Benford is not at fault for something that have occurred. But to not hold adults accountable who are the ones performing is a joke. Of course that is the problem with our country anyway. No one can take blame or responsibility. You just throw it on one person and make a straw man out of them. If a 18 year old can go to the NBA where they are not going to waste time teaching you how to box out and make free throws then they can certainly participate in a college practice and be held accountable for things on their own. They can hit the gym and shoot the free throws.

As usual I will be at every game and cheer on the team no matter what. I could care less if they lose 50 games in a row and have a bunch of walk on splaying. I will always show up. This team will get it together and deserves our support. Both players and coaches. Blame players for escudo on in the court and blame coaches for a poor game plan. Seems fair enough. Let's move on a win on the road.

No detail was too small for Coach Wooden. One of the first things he taught players was how they should wear their socks and tie their shoelaces.

Article: http://espn.go.com/classic/biography/s/Wooden_John.html

• Upvote 5

So serious question, at what point DOES it become Benford's fault?

Good question. No real answer there. I generally do not believe one person can carry the blame for anything. I don't care if they are the president, CEO, a coach etc... A lot goes into bringing something down into the gutter. Not just one person.

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 1

We were behind from the start....never lead at all, as I recall. And we fell behind by like 10 points in the first half. Anyway...some subs like TJ (especially) and Voss and Vaughns lead us to a comeback and we tied the game at half-time.

What does Benford do? He starts the same starting five that started the game....and none of the guys who lead us back into a tie.

3 of the 5 starters had 0 points!

STARTERS              MIN FGM-A 3PM-A FTM-A OREB DREB REB AST STL BLK TO PF PTS
Maurice Aniefiok, F   17  0-5   0-3   0-0   0    5    5   0   0   0   0  4  0 <<<<
Keith Coleman, F      18  0-2   0-0   0-2   1    4    5   0   0   0   3  3  0 <<<<
Alzee Williams, G     24  0-7   0-0   0-0   3    0    3   0   0   0   0  0  0 <<<<
Chris Jones, G        15  2-4   0-0   1-2   0    0    0   0   0   0   3  1  5
Jordan Williams, G    31  5-10  2-5   2-2   1    3    4   0   0   0   2  2  14
BENCH                 MIN FGM-A 3PM-A FTM-A OREB DREB REB AST STL BLK TO PF PTS
Colin Voss, F         23  4-6   0-0   1-2   3    4    7   0   0   0   1  0  9
Kelvin Gaines, F       2  0-0   0-0   0-0   0    0    0   0   0   0   0  2  0
Armani Flannigan, F    5  1-1   0-0   0-0   0    1    1   0   0   0   1  2  2
T.J. Taylor, G        27  5-10  0-1   9-12  3    3    6   4   2   0   1  2  19
Vertrail Vaughns, G   22  3-7   0-0   4-5   0    2    2   1   2   0   1  4  10
Brandan Walton, G     16  1-4   1-3   0-0   1    1    2   0   0   0   0  2  3
TOTALS                    FGM-A 3PM-A FTM-A OREB DREB REB AST STL BLK TO PF PTS
                          21-56 3-12  17-25 13   24   37  5   4   0   12 22 62
                          37.5% 25.0% 68.0%
  • Upvote 3

TJ Taylor needs no less than 30 minutes & 15 shot attempts a game

The same with Voss. Minus the shot attempts of course.

Taylor, Mo, Vaughn's, Alzee, and Voss all deserve around 30 minutes. Colman should get decent minutes and Jordan Williams needs some as well. I am fine with Armani and Walton never touching the floor unless we are up or down 20. CJ I got no clue what to do with.

I wish someone would out up a list of what the minutes should look like. Spreading around all 200 minutes and who gets them.

• Upvote 1

200 minuets

Alzee-32

TJ-32

Voss-32

Jordan-30

Mo-28

Vaughn's-28

Colman-10

CJ-8

Something like that... Colmans minutes can easily be given to Gaines. And Voss could lose some to either one depending on fouls and who is matching up in the post.

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 1

Lol this all too funny. You guys crack me up.

I think if there were 5 clear starters on this team you wouldn't see as much rotation. UNT has a bunch of guys that are all about the same talent. Some guys have good nights and then the next game they are flat. You can't predict it with this team.

Setting minutes. Haha. Recipe for failure IMO. Not sure how many coaches go into a game thinking I got to get this guy this many mins. They may think I want to get him good mins, but game play and other players production are going to determine that

Ha! You beat me to it. I was going to post something similar, adding that Trilli was a somewhat better recruiter and had better hair.

Not sure he was a better recruiter. Benford knows talent. He just needs to work on getting it to mesh together. Bringing in guys like TJ Taylor, Voss, Combs is pretty solid. Even a guy like Gaines is a big get for UNT. He is just not right after his injury and gets some pretty bad fouls called on him.

• Upvote 1

Lol this all too funny. You guys crack me up.

I think if there were 5 clear starters on this team you wouldn't see as much rotation. UNT has a bunch of guys that are all about the same talent. Some guys have good nights and then the next game they are flat. You can't predict it with this team.

Setting minutes. Haha. Recipe for failure IMO. Not sure how many coaches go into a game thinking I got to get this guy this many mins. They may think I want to get him good mins, but game play and other players production are going to determine that

I think most coaches go into a game knowing how many minutes they plan on playing a guy... Generally they know a few days before the game. Of course it changes with fouls and who has the hot hand. But they have a clear depth chart and generally list minutes. Seems to work for every other team... Not sure every team can be considered a failure. Just like in football they go in knowing how many snaps in the back field each running back will take etc... (Again it does change in game, but they have a game plan going into it).

JJs teams always seemed to have about the same minutes. Josh, George, Tristan's, Shannon etc all seemed to get the same amount of minutes consistently. Minus fouls and of course Tristan being in the dog house....

• Upvote 1