Tulane (1/11/14)

CMJ

I just do not understand why they do not shoot. I could sit 6 feet behind the 3 point line and knock down about 30% of my shots all day. These are scholarship players they should be able to do the same. Chris Davis, George King, Calvin Watson, Tristan Thompson just to name a few. All could do that every game.

I have no clue if that is coaching or players being hesitant but that needs to change. Immediately. TJ was the only one putting it up it seemed. We need to shoot off the pass and create our own shot. If that is the coaches call then they are wrong and if it's the players choice they are wrong. I do not care who's fault it is. They need to fix it out now!

So your solution/gripe with the players now is that they don't take enough NBA 3-Pointers? It's hard to keep up with you now, but it's fun to hear all the new ways our team can improve/the things our players aren't doing right.

• Upvote 1

Jordan was mad that Benford had called a timeout when he had a wide open three.

He was just frustrated but we needed the time out. Tulane was on a 7-0 run or maybe it was 9-0 and we needed to settle down. It is very frustrating but I would not say he was mad at the coach. Just the circumstances. Benford signaled timeout once the ball passed the half court line. But yes it's very frustrating to watch :/

• Upvote 1

Thoughts:
1. We were favored by 9.

2. Where in the hell is Chris Jones? It's almost like he's regressed since freshman year.

3. TJ Taylor was clearly our best player. I'd like to see him play more.

4. At least we made it over 50% in free throw shooting.

5. I'm getting tired of us passing the ball around for 20 seconds and then driving with 10 seconds left.

6. How many easy layups are we going to miss?

• Upvote 1

So your solution/gripe with the players now is that they don't take enough NBA 3-Pointers? It's hard to keep up with you now, but it's fun to hear all the new ways our team can improve/the things our players aren't doing right.

No they do not shoot it enough. And maybe learn to read because I have no clue if it is coaches or the players but something is not working on offense. They are not putting the ball up. Calvin Watson would shoot 6 a game from the deep back. We take zero.... Instead we duck our heads and drive it into the lane in hopes of getting fouled and going to the line. Which even when that does happen we miss the free throws. TJ Taylor was really working the ball around well though. Creating shots for himself and others. Everyone needs to be moving off the ball at all times unless they are posting up or positioning on the three line waiting for a in and out.

• Upvote 1

Thoughts:

1. We were favored by 9.

2. Where in the hell is Chris Jones? It's almost like he's regressed since freshman year.

5. I'm getting tired of us passing the ball around for 20 seconds and then driving with 10 seconds left.

Number 5 is the most frustrating part. No clue what is going on there. Cannot really tell what type of offense we are running and no clue why they do not put up the ball more often.

• Upvote 1

I just do not understand why they do not shoot. I could sit 6 feet behind the 3 point line and knock down about 30% of my shots all day. These are scholarship players they should be able to do the same. Chris Davis, George King, Calvin Watson, Tristan Thompson just to name a few. All could do that every game.

I have no clue if that is coaching or players being hesitant but that needs to change. Immediately. TJ was the only one putting it up it seemed. We need to shoot off the pass and create our own shot. If that is the coaches call then they are wrong and if it's the players choice they are wrong. I do not care who's fault it is. They need to fix it out now!

for those that do care, it's Gerald Myer's fault.

Thus...coaching is a problem...

Hard to tell because obviously they practice something... And the players know what they are running and the coaching staff is yelling shoot and they do not. It seems like a mix of a bunch of things. Coaching is definitely also involved but stop absolving the players from any blame. They are the ones who make the decision on the court. I think it comes down to the point guard position and we have not had that at all this year. We need a solid point guard something fierce! They are the coach on the court and need to make the calls. I hope all parties can figure something out in practice and get it to click on the court. If Benford is forcing them to swing swing swing drive all game then sure he takes the blame. That cannot be proven at this point so no need to blame him.

• Upvote 1

Counting chickens before they hatch is a dangerous game.

I do think we will win more than 10 games this year (maybe 12, 13 if we are lucky), but never overestimate a Benford coached team, my friend.

As far as paying you, I won't be doing that. I WILL be paying the Andrew Smith Scholarship fund, as previously agreed. ;-)

Don't be a sore winner and ask for a public presentation and photo op.

Mike, did you even read my post? I said the check would be payable to the Mean Green Club...but, if you want the Andrew Smith Scholarship instead, I am plenty good with that. My post talked about the possible presentation ceremony, which could be a fun thing, not whom the check is made payable. Go back and take a look-see at the original post.

And, I counted nothing...the would was "could it"? The answer is NO!

Sorry you missed the point and spirit of the post.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Also someone get CJ in the gym! He has gained almost 20 pounds in a year it looked like according to the stat sheet. I think he will never be the same after his injury. He sin hesitant, out of shape, and makes poor decisions. I feel bad for him because he had a ton of potential! I wish I could talk to him in person and see what's up. We also need to sub a bit less.

Vaughans, Taylor, Aniefiok, Voss, and Colman for 7 minutes straight might do wonders.

Agree, our point guard play is terrible!

Agree, our point guard play is terrible!

If we had a solid point guard and a post player who could not pick up a foul we might be in business. Today the best point guard was TJ Taylor. If we have to roll him out at the 1 so be it. He was the only one distributing the ball it seemed today. He had 4 of our 5 assists. Jones had zero assists and 4 turnovers. We need to fix this now.

• Upvote 1

Thoughts:

1. We were favored by 9.

Great points and I do think CJ has fallen since his freshman year. He looks really out of shape, but the decision making has been suspect.

Like they do on free throws everyday...that sure helps...

You cannot blame a coach for missing free throws etc. it's a fee throw. You shoot it. Benford cannot hold their hand at the line and say ok now bend your knees and grab them around their waist while they do down. And then remind them to follow through. That is something that needs to be fixed by the players. Benford needs to fix his subbing patterns and figure out something on the offensive end. That is what he needs to be focusing on.

• Upvote 1