Tulane (1/11/14)

CMJ

Ticky Tack fouls will be called for the remainder of College Basketball future until they change the rules. Two new rules put in play this year, you may not have hands on a defender who is in a straight line drive to the basket (thereby impeding their path). Rule number 2, once the low post player catches the ball and begins to dribble you may not interrupt their drive to the basketball with your hands.

This is one of the biggest reasons you will see Benford and Co, go after 6'7-6'9 post players who are thiner, the rules play into their hands now. The big bodies can't get into smaller players anymore as they attack the rim down low. Interesting rule change, and I haven't personally seen it affect a game yet, I however have seen some much better basketball b/c defenders aren't allowed to commit felony assault on the ball handler.

Ticky Tack fouls will be called for the remainder of College Basketball future until they change the rules. Two new rules put in play this year, you may not have hands on a defender who is in a straight line drive to the basket (thereby impeding their path). Rule number 2, once the low post player catches the ball and begins to dribble you may not interrupt their drive to the basketball with your hands.

This is one of the biggest reasons you will see Benford and Co, go after 6'7-6'9 post players who are thiner, the rules play into their hands now. The big bodies can't get into smaller players anymore as they attack the rim down low. Interesting rule change, and I haven't personally seen it affect a game yet, I however have seen some much better basketball b/c defenders aren't allowed to commit felony assault on the ball handler.

I know we had that discussion earlier this year but when you watch on TV they are called much less. Not sure why but it seems like non televised games are called a lot more strictly.

The only way I have seen it affect the game is through offensive ball movement. I believe our guys are trying to get it into the paint a bit to often just assuming they can draw a foul with the new rules. It has led to some sloppy UNT play. And missed opportunities for open shots from the field.

I wish our guys would learn to create their own shot. You have two feet between you and the defender put the ball up! They are so hesitant and idk if it's them or the coaching staff telling them no. Jordan should be able take a little jab step and put it over his defender on most possessions with his height and athleticism. With CJs handles he should be able to get past his man and hit a floater in the lane. Our guys need to work on shooting from deep. 4 feet behind the arc and hitting lay ups 4 or more feet from the basket. They practice that all the time in the d-league.

• Upvote 1

Could this be win number 10 and PAYDAY? Only the Phantom knows for sure at this point.

Everyone needs to remember that the winner personally does not get the $50. The loser is required to make that $50 a donation to the Mean Green Club. So....matters not who wins or loses from a financial standpoint....UNT and the Mean Green Club is the winner here!

So close....so close....you think the loser must present the winner the check in a public setting? How about at the GMG.com basketball game in March at halftime? Photos and all? I'm game.....what say you UNT90?

Could today be the day? Keeping all fingers and toes crossed here! :-)

Counting chickens before they hatch is a dangerous game.

I do think we will win more than 10 games this year (maybe 12, 13 if we are lucky), but never overestimate a Benford coached team, my friend.

As far as paying you, I won't be doing that. I WILL be paying the Andrew Smith Scholarship fund, as previously agreed. ;-)

Don't be a sore winner and ask for a public presentation and photo op.

• Upvote 3

I honestly believe the refs gift wrapped that game. I'm fine with the loss because I expected it, but I have never seen such poor officiating. I wish they would Back off the Ticky tack fouls and traveling calls on both sides of the ball. Just slows down the game. NCAA is suppose to be fast paced excitement that is why pele watch it over the NBA. It's not super slow and can get boring at times.

So now you expected a loss to USM. Before the game you said this?

Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:01 PM

I think TJ Taylor goes off and we win this one by single digits. He needs a heavy does of three point help from Vaughs and Aniefiok as well.
I feel like before every game you talk about how we are going to win and then after nothing but excuses not involving Benford.
  • Upvote 4

So now you expected a loss to USM. Before the game you said this?

Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:01 PM

I think TJ Taylor goes off and we win this one by single digits. He needs a heavy does of three point help from Vaughs and Aniefiok as well.

I feel like before every game you talk about how we are going to win and then after nothing but excuses not involving Benford.

Pretty sure everyone expected a loss.... I thought we might have had a chance. But we lose to ECU, USM, UAB, LA tech etc... Won't surprise me...

• Upvote 1