Tulane (1/11/14)

CMJ

Part of the reason TJ left OU was because Capel wanted to turn him into a PG. Taylor has said he doesn't feel comfortable at the 1. I think he's much better suited off the ball

Interesting. I never found much about his time at OU when I looked into TJ when we first got him.

But yeah, him being our James Harden could be a good role for him. He sees the floor pretty well even if he isn't a true point guard. He definitely needs the ball in his hands. We can't be going multiple offenses stretches at a time without getting him the ball when he's in. Especially with the way Benford subs guys out, we need to make the most of TJ when he's in.

Edited by BillySee58

Kind of like Tony not being Tony last year, eh?

Unvelopment. A new word in the dictionary defined with a picture of Benford.

Tony is having issues in the D league as well...

And CJ has just not been the same after the injury. I wonder is something else is up. Go back and look at the stats. Leading up to it CJ was hitting 16 to 20 points in a few games and dishing out 5 or 6 assists. Then the injury happens and he is not the same. He has also gained a lot of weight and is much slower on the court. The injury may have got in his head. I honestly have no clue what is up with CJ. I think CJ needs to hit the gym, have some alone time, look in the mirror and change. Unless he is still being plagued by the injury which might be a possibility. Just like Gaines. He is not playing well either. Just not moving right.

• Upvote 1

Kind of like Tony not being Tony last year, eh?

Unvelopment. A new word in the dictionary defined with a picture of Benford.

Everyone on this team is better then last year (minus CJ who I honestly believe has something up right now). Of course with so many new players it's hard to gauge improvement because only a few players returned. The only one who returned and had solid minutes all year last year was Alzee. And Jordan. Who both are playing on par with what they have in the past.

• Upvote 1

Everyone on this team is better then last year (minus CJ who I honestly believe has something up right now). Of course with so many new players it's hard to gauge improvement because only a few players returned. The only one who returned and had solid minutes all year last year was Alzee. And Jordan. Who both are playing on par with what they have in the past.

If I cared enough, I could probably pulled up stats to prove you wrong.

I don't .a trending problem with the basketball program.

• Upvote 1

What happens first? 10 wins or 10 losses? 10 wins or 15 losses?

The schedule looks pretty daunting going forward.

Just looked at the schedule. I think Mark's giddiness was quite premature, as I don't see a game we have a legitimate shot of winning until the week of 2/20 when we travel to Florida to take on FIU and FAU, followed by a trip to San Antone to play that craphole.

All road games at a time when this team's spirit may have long ago been crushed.

There is not one game before those in which we will be a favorite. We could be double digit dogs in almost all of them.

Could someone come out and lay down like A&M did? Sure. But is that really something you want to count on?

Interesting times ahead.

• Downvote 1

If I cared enough, I could probably pulled up stats to prove you wrong.

I don't .a trending problem with the basketball program.

Colman is playing better, obviously Walton is because he did not play. Alzee and Jordan are about par with where they have always been? CJ has not been the same since the injury over a year ago. There is no one else. There is no more stats to check.

• Upvote 1

Colman is playing better, obviously Walton is because he did not play. Alzee and Jordan are about par with where they have always been? CJ has not been the same since the injury over a year ago. There is no one else. There is no more stats to check.

Ya, don't think I'll rely on any analysis from you.

The fact that you think it takes 20 year olds over a year to recover from injury tells me everything I need to know.

• Upvote 3

Ya, don't think I'll rely on any analysis from you.The fact that you think it takes 20 year olds over a year to recover from injury tells me everything I need to know.

I said I have no clue what is up with CJ. It can take a while depending on someone's state of mind or if they rushed back from injury. That is only a guess as to why CJ looks out of shape and has put on some weight. Otherwise I have no clue. If you do push it though it can take time to heal. I sprained my ankle playing basketball in high school. Rushed back and played on it and now I cannot really grow new muscle in my left calf and it has bugged me and slowed me down ever since. Injuries vary and so does time to recover. Maybe it's a mental thing with CJ idk. I want him out there because I believe he can be our best PG, but right now he has earned nothing but the bench. Not trying to be mean but he has been out played by a lot of guys.

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Wait a minute. Last season we were propping Walton up as some NBA lotto pick whose absence was the reason we had no outside threat, and thus lost 20 games. Now he's a chronic underachiever?

This is DEFINITELY a bit

I do not remember people playing him up as the savior of the team. His outside shooting was missed yes. I believe people who put words in others mouths made those accusations. This year we do not have an outside threat because no one will shoot the ball. Coaching decisions or players choice I do not care. Someone needs to fix it. Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

Man some people just enjoy being a liar... They set up a straw man in Walton act as if people who said his shot was missed somehow claimed he was the main reason our season fell apart. It boggles my mind how some adults on here even have a job with their reading ability and logic. I guess if you lie to yourself enough it becomes the truth to you. I remeber people saying Walton's outside shot was missed but I never remeber anyone claiming if we had him healthy we would have won 20 games. Those claims were made by people who wanted to put words in others mouths...

Benford did go on record as saying he was a huge missing piece but even he did not say if we had Walton that we would have won a lot more games.

I could care less if people like or dislike Benford. We all want to win, but the flat out lying and putting words in others mouths whether they be a fan from UNT or another school is just silly and immature. Like Benford great... Hate Benford great... At least type your opinion without lying or putting words in other mouths. And also try it without sarcastic immature comments that a child would make.

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

Everyone on this team is better then last year (minus CJ who I honestly believe has something up right now).

How do people who mix up the word "then" and "than" have jobs? See how easy that is?

You're taking these arguments too personal. The Walton thing was a much-needed joke to take away some of the stress of the dumpster fire that was last season.

You can dissect each game and ask "how can we get better," but it's becoming more apparent each game that we aren't and those improvements are not coming as long as Benford is here. They're actually just getting worse. That's coming from a guy who really gave him a chance. He still has time to change my mind, but he really hasn't done anything to earn that.

• Upvote 1

Here's the deal. I'm convinced there is enough talent within this team to be able to compete on a high level. I give last years team a reprieve bc you had a post guy with a limited low post game and no outside shooting. Plus the injuries.

This years team is loaded with guards who can score. They are lacking a low post scoring threat, but you don't need that to win in college basketball.

So where does the blame fall? It ultimately falls with the guy that get paid to do a job. He is paid to teach recruit develop and game plan. If his team fails it's his fault. If his team is failing in the fundamentals it's his job to fix it. The best coaches know how to push the right buttons. They know how to get their players to respond to their coaching. I've found the best are the guys who mix fundamentals in with game strategies. Every player needs refreshing of the fundamentals from time to time. If your players aren't executing its your job to fix it. Take out and teach them what they did wrong. If they can't fix it well you brought them here so it still comes back to you.

As the head coach you are responsible for all aspects of your program. You are responsible for all failure and success.

There is no reason this team can't figure it out by the end of the season. I hope they do. If we don't see development and progress in the players then it will come back to the coach.

• Upvote 2