Tulane (1/11/14)

CMJ

Great points and I do think CJ has fallen since his freshman year. He looks really out of shape, but the decision making has been suspect.

He never seemed to fully recover. I mentioned this early but according to the stat sheet and comparing it to just over a year ago he has gained about 20 pounds. Something has to be up.

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 1

Another step backward in this game.

I will never understand Benford's substitution patterns, it is almost like he wants to personally destroy any rhythm or momentum established by the team. I don't know how many times in this game, that a player made a bad play and Benford called for a substitution whether the player had been in seconds or more. By the time the substitution was actually made, the player may have redeemed them-self several times.

Pick your best 5 to 8 players and give them all the time unless the game is out of question. Hint. Colemen is not in that group or is Walton. I would give 30 minutes every game to Aniefiok, Taylor, Williams, Williams, Jones and Voss; until someone demonstrates they are better.

• Upvote 5

Mike, did you even read my post? I said the check would be payable to the Mean Green Club...but, if you want the Andrew Smith Scholarship instead, I am plenty good with that. My post talked about the possible presentation ceremony, which could be a fun thing, not whom the check is made payable. Go back and take a look-see at the original post.

And, I counted nothing...the would was "could it"? The answer is NO!

Sorry you missed the point and spirit of the post.

It was a quick read on my part.

I has this one down as one of the very few winnable conference games. Still breathing.

Barely.

• Downvote 1

Thoughts:

1. We were favored by 9.

2. Where in the hell is Chris Jones? It's almost like he's regressed since freshman year.

3. TJ Taylor was clearly our best player. I'd like to see him play more.

4. At least we made it over 50% in free throw shooting.

5. I'm getting tired of us passing the ball around for 20 seconds and then driving with 10 seconds left.

6. How many easy layups are we going to miss?

#3. Last game Jordan fueled the comeback and then was sat down for a loooong stretch. Mate we just burnded too much energy, but with the hot hand on the bench southern miss was able to pull back out to a comfortable lead.

Since Benford like to recruit the same type of players, just go with the hot hand at the time!

I could not see the game... thanks UNT athletic department.

I am not a huge basketball fan by nature so maybe I am comparing apples and oranges... but....

Am I the only one who thinks that the aTm win feels a bit like Todd Dodges win over Ball state?

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 2

You cannot blame a coach for missing free throws etc. it's a free throw. You shoot it. Benford cannot hold their hand at the line and say ok now bend your knees and grab them around their waist while they do down. And then remind them to follow through.

Um, pretty sure that's what a coach is supposed to do in practice. If a player has bad form you coach him. Crazy, I know

When good free throw shooters start missing it's more about focus than ability. I'm guessing no one thinks coaches have anything to do with focus.

Maybe Benford should teach them how to tie their shows and wipe their bottoms while he is at it. Since most people on here act like these adult men are little children who have no accountability. No one is saying. Benford is not at fault for something that have occurred. But to not hold adults accountable who are the ones performing is a joke. Of course that is the problem with our country anyway. No one can take blame or responsibility. You just throw it on one person and make a straw man out of them. If a 18 year old can go to the NBA where they are not going to waste time teaching you how to box out and make free throws then they can certainly participate in a college practice and be held accountable for things on their own. They can hit the gym and shoot the free throws.

As usual I will be at every game and cheer on the team no matter what. I could care less if they lose 50 games in a row and have a bunch of walk on splaying. I will always show up. This team will get it together and deserves our support. Both players and coaches. Blame players for escudo on in the court and blame coaches for a poor game plan. Seems fair enough. Let's move on a win on the road.

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Maybe Benford should teach them how to tie their shows and wipe their butts while he is at it. Since most people on here act like these adult men are little children who have no accountability. No one is saying. Benford is not at fault for something that have occurred. But to not hold adults accountable who are the ones performing is a joke. Of course that is the problem with our country anyway. No one can take blame or responsibility. You just throw it on one person and make a straw man out of them. If a 18 year old can go to the NBA where they are not going to waste time teaching you how to box out and make free throws then they can certainly participate in a college practice and be held accountable for things on their own. They can hit the gym and shoot the free throws.

As usual I will be at every game and cheer on the team no matter what. I could care less if they lose 50 games in a row and have a bunch of walk on splaying. I will always show up. This team will get it together and deserves our support. Both players and coaches. Blame players for escudo on in the court and blame coaches for a poor game plan. Seems fair enough. Let's move on a win on the road.

If their inability to wipe their butt's or tie their shoes was holding the team back.... Nah never mind.

Um, pretty sure that's what a coach is supposed to do in practice. If a player has bad form you coach him. Crazy, I know

Benford has brought in some of the worst foul shooters I can recall wearing the green and white.

Since Benford can't/won't recruit good free throw shooters and doesn't seen to be able to coach them up once here I think you are correct in adding that to the benford'd column.

I will never understand Benford's substitution patterns, it is almost like he wants to personally destroy any rhythm or momentum established by the team. I don't know how many times in this game, that a player made a bad play and Benford called for a substitution whether the player had been in seconds or more. By the time the substitution was actually made, the player may have redeemed them-self several times.

Pick your best 5 to 8 players and give them all the time unless the game is out of question. Hint. Colemen is not in that group or is Walton. I would give 30 minutes every game to Aniefiok, Taylor, Williams, Williams, Jones and Voss; until someone demonstrates they are better.

It's really funny listening to Hank and Jub on the radio having to come up with creative ways to refer to Benny's substitution patterns without calling him an idiot. Those two are earning every cent calling these games.

I can agree with you that his subbing patterns are awful, but if we ayed our best Colman would be in and CJ would be out. We would not see hardly any of CJ. Walton is having better luck then CJ right now. Walton has been decent for us this year. Maybe if we just had less players... There is a lot of talent on the team. But outside of Vaughsn, Taylor, Anifiok, Voss, and Colman everyone else minutes are up in their air. Those are our big 5.

• Upvote 1

We were behind from the start....never lead at all, as I recall. And we fell behind by like 10 points in the first half. Anyway...some subs like TJ (especially) and Voss and Vaughns lead us to a comeback and we tied the game at half-time.

What does Benford do? He starts the same starting five that started the game....and none of the guys who lead us back into a tie.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

We were behind from the start....never lead at all, as I recall. And we fell behind by like 10 points in the first half. Anyway...some subs like TJ (especially) and Voss and Vaughns lead us to a comeback and we tied the game at half-time.

What does Benford do? He starts the same starting five that started the game....and none of the guys who lead us back into a tie.

That is his biggest issue. In game decision making. I would have let Alzee and Mo join CJ on the end of the bench for the rest of the night and run with the hot hand.

• Upvote 1

I don't think Jones has gotten worse; I think Benford has forced him into a different role that he at this point is not that good at. Jones was the guy that coach Jones gave the ball to in tight situations as a freshman.

NT's non starters logged 95 minutes, Tulane's 49 minutes. Benford made 40 substitutions or an average of one a minute based on my count from the play by play.

Tulane is a very young team and their best player in this game was a freshman.

43 fouls called.

• Upvote 3