Who will be the 2014 North Texas starting QB ?

NT03

I think that helped a lot with DT at times. Kept it simple and the o-line gave him plenty of time. He just had trouble throwing downfield. I want to see what this offense can do with a guy who can hit some downfield passes in addition to the shorter stuff and run the ball a little.

Yeah it really looked like he had a lot of trouble throwing down field on that pass to Darnell Smith in the bowl game. Being the number 2 QB in school history and MVP in one of only three bowl wins in history can only take you so far with some knuckleheads . You no longer have DT to kick around. I just thank The Lord that our coaching staff never listened to this board and we had the season we had in spite of all the DT haters. Just let it rest his place in history is written you will never change it.

gallery_1_57_205117.jpg

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

Yeah it really looked like he had a lot of trouble throwing down field on that pass to Darnell Smith in the bowl game. Being the number 2 QB in school history and MVP in one of only three bowl wins in history can only take you so far with some knuckleheads . You no longer have DT to kick around. I just thank The Lord that our coaching staff never listened to this board and we had the season we had in spite of all the DT haters. Just let it rest his place in history is written you will never change it.

Amen.

My issue with DT, and still remains my issue...is the offense was not suited for him. When they hurried it up, played quick snap move-down-the-field-in-large-chunks offense, DT was amazing. Remember when we talked about them "lifting the chains?" DT was awful when we ran at a brick wall (90% of last year.)

Yup, it was a great, big-time throw. He read the one-on-one matchup on the outside and put it right on the money. Why would I want to change the history that he wrote? He was a good qb and I'm very grateful for what he did.

My point was that the short stuff really helps build the qbs confidence. It seemed like DT was missing early on with the longer routes and then hit a bunch of the shorter and intermediate routes which got his confidence up. That's true for any qb and I hope we do that with our new qb to ease him in and help open up our offense downfield. That's what I'm getting at.

My issue with DT, and still remains my issue...is the offense was not suited for him. When they hurried it up, played quick snap move-down-the-field-in-large-chunks offense, DT was amazing. Remember when we talked about them "lifting the chains?" DT was awful when we ran at a brick wall (90% of last year.)

Exactly. That hurry-up offense, hitting the quick routes play after play made him look like a completely different qb than when we were pounding the ball and only throwing on second and third down from under center and play action. You could tell he was much more confident and comfortable in that rhythm.

I agree...it's frustrating though, because I'm 100% on the Brock bandwagon and think Mac just needs to go out there and say "Get us a win." Will never happen under McCarney though. Dude will be money if he ever gets on the field.

Athletic qbs make great plays, but they also make catastropic mistakes. The kind that make you say, what was he thinking? He wasnt thinking...

The upside is there with Brock, but the potential for disaster is there.

all qbs make mistakes, but some you can see what they are trying and how it would work if executed properly.

And giving a qb that can run or has a big arm the option to audible is scary. They usually call thier kwn number or go for the homerun play. Great if it works. Horrible when it doesnt.

Amen.

• Upvote 2

I think Coach Mac and crew will pick the best Quarterback available. I think we won't know who that is till right before the Texas game.

I picked McNulty based on his time learning the offense. Mistakes by a quarterback hurt worse than those in any other position. Practicing in a system is the single best way to learn it and Andrew has had more practice time with this system than any of the others. That said, it could be any one of the bunch!

• Upvote 2

med_gallery_1_219_970914.jpg

Why does Dajon look so mad here?

I think it will be Dajon but they are concerned because he is on the skinny side and brought Greer in to play the Kirk Cousins to Dajon's RG3.

McNulty bulking up is great but it just makes me worry he is the second coming of Chase Baine.

• Upvote 1

Not trying to take anything away from DW or Idaho, but a lot of their own fans want them to go down to FCS.

As well they should. It's doubly hard to attract the athletes necessary to compete at the FBS level when you have a 16,000 seat stadium in a remote part of the country. Most of their recruits come from 500-1,000 miles away in California. Takes money to recruit those athletes. Furthermore, they are returning to the Sun Belt because the Mountain West doesn't want them due to size and location. That's going to be travel expenses out the yingyang when your closest conference member is a thousand miles away. Besides, their other sports are in the Big Sky.

While they are going would they please take Eastern Michigan and ULM with them? EMU couldn't compete with the better Division II schools in attendance and ULM's budget is about half of the FBS' next lowest member and below that of many FCS colleges.

• Upvote 2

As well they should. It's doubly hard to attract the athletes necessary to compete at the FBS level when you have a 16,000 seat stadium in a remote part of the country. Most of their recruits come from 500-1,000 miles away in California. Takes money to recruit those athletes. Furthermore, they are returning to the Sun Belt because the Mountain West doesn't want them due to size and location. That's going to be travel expenses out the yingyang when your closest conference member is a thousand miles away. Besides, their other sports are in the Big Sky.

While they are going would they please take Eastern Michigan and ULM with them? EMU couldn't compete with the better Division II schools in attendance and ULM's budget is about half of the FBS' next lowest member and below that of many FCS colleges.

I'm all for sending a few colleges down to FCS, considering all these teams are making the move up. EMU has the longest bowl drought with no end in sight and Idaho is maybe the hardest job in the country, as you said. Especially with Boise State becoming what they have become. As for ULM, maybe they should be but their recent success and wins against SEC schools will likely prevent it.

• 2 weeks later...

I assume dajon will split time with the 1s at minimum.

Yeah, it'll probably be like the beginning of this fall camp. DT, Mcnulty, and Brock rotated with the 1's and 2's in that order and Dajon had the 3's. It'll probably be Mcnulty, Dajon, and Greer rotating with the 1's and 2's, in that order, and Means will have the 3's.
  • Upvote 2