Houston Getting Whipped.

Danish43

No, my argument is not lost games primarily against ranked teams. It's that UNT lost games primarily to, at best average, teams. UH lost to no average teams. Bragging about beating average teams is more than offset by losing to average and below average teams.

SMU lost to ranked teams, but they also lost to average and bad teams. Something that UH didn't do. UNT didn't lose to ranked teams, only average teams.

I will give it to you that we lost a couple of games we shouldn't have (Tulane and UTSA). We just didn't show up to play and we were all frustrated with those games because we underperformed. But a season is more than a couple of games and UNT's wins are much better.

Ohio and Georgia struggled later in the season due to injuries, but they were both good teams early, and there's no shame in losing on the road to them. UH might have done the same, don't know. You would be pretty evenly matched with Ohio, as we were.

I would have loved to have Houston' s last several years, but I wouldn't trade this year, and I don't have to weigh that over for any length of time. Give me a bowl championship and 4 solid wins any day, even with two frustrating weeks.

I wonder if anyone else has noticed, but a good portion of this has been A vs. B, B vs. C, C vs. D, then conclude that A beats D (notice I did not say greater or lesser than, because each segment argued different merits with one or the other winning a given set). Both teams had a decent year, didn't play each other, and we're happy with the results of ours so why continue arguing theirs, especially with such an odd form of argument? We're even in our series with Houston. Our University is not in a ghetto. We have a cool stadium and a coach that may return us to the prominence we had before many of us were born. Houston left to join the Bank of American Airlines 'Murican Conference of Merkins in America. In a 5-set round robin of all other FBS teams (i.e. everyone plays each other 5 times) we would probably be right around even after all 750-ish games if they could be consolidated into one season with the same players. But that isn't reasonable, so the current format will do for now. We lost to some less than stellar teams, which I suspect boils down to the fact that this is the year we're finally settling in after so many years of dismal results. Houston couldn't get over the hump against some of their better opponents, probably resulting from a move up in conference affiliation against considerable competition. We get another year with Mac and the boys, they get another year in the AAC/BVD/DVD/BoysIIMen Conference where some of the top dogs are leaving, so chances are both of us will have even better seasons next year. Time will tell, but really, it's all just babble since we don't play each other...for now.

• Upvote 3

I wonder if anyone else has noticed, but a good portion of this has been A vs. B, B vs. C, C vs. D, then conclude that A beats D (notice I did not say greater or lesser than, because each segment argued different merits with one or the other winning a given set). Both teams had a decent year, didn't play each other, and we're happy with the results of ours so why continue arguing theirs, especially with such an odd form of argument? We're even in our series with Houston. Our University is not in a ghetto. We have a cool stadium and a coach that may return us to the prominence we had before many of us were born. Houston left to join the Bank of American Airlines 'Murican Conference of Merkins in America. In a 5-set round robin of all other FBS teams (i.e. everyone plays each other 5 times) we would probably be right around even after all 750-ish games if they could be consolidated into one season with the same players. But that isn't reasonable, so the current format will do for now. We lost to some less than stellar teams, which I suspect boils down to the fact that this is the year we're finally settling in after so many years of dismal results. Houston couldn't get over the hump against some of their better opponents, probably resulting from a move up in conference affiliation against considerable competition. We get another year with Mac and the boys, they get another year in the AAC/BVD/DVD/BoysIIMen Conference where some of the top dogs are leaving, so chances are both of us will have even better seasons next year. Time will tell, but really, it's all just babble since we don't play each other...for now.

LOL and agreed no sense for animosity with Coogs. We don't even play them.

Stop the wenus measuring, you're coming up short.

Massey Composite Rankings after the year end seems to disagree...

UH #49

UNT #56

UH ahead in in 42 rankings

UNT ahead in 17 rankings

UH best 24

UNT best 30

UH worst 60

UNT worst 73

I can say very similar although my personal bias of course will say UH was slightly better (supported by Massey). Amazing that some UNT fans can't even acknowledge that UH might have had a comparable team even if your bias will say UNT was slightly better.

To be fair the wenus measuring talk on both sides seem rather ridiculous. Why can't we accept both teams had solid seasons this year?

We should probably just ignore it, but this team, especially this group of seniors, will always have a special place in my heart, so it's a lot tougher than it would be in some other year. I don't like people coming onto our board and poo-pooing what this team accomplished this year after we just won a bowl game on New Year's Day. Smack talk before a game is something different entirely, IMO.

That being said, Houston is a great program, as I've said, and they had a solid team this year. I'm just happy with the season we had.

We should probably just ignore it, but this team, especially this group of seniors, will always have a special place in my heart, so it's a lot tougher than it would be in some other year. I don't like people coming onto our board and poo-pooing what this team accomplished this year after we just won a bowl game on New Year's Day. Smack talk before a game is something different entirely, IMO.

That being said, Houston is a great program, as I've said, and they had a solid team this year. I'm just happy with the season we had.

I don't think anybody was poo pooing us other than Cougar King. The other UH poster is sensible and just offers a different perspective which is ok in my book because it's all one's opinion.

I think we can both agree that Houston lost their bowl game.

It is awesome to win a bowl game. Congrats to UNT. Was very happy to see it.

But Auburn lost their bowl game too. Ergo UNT > Auburn? No because FSU > UNLV. No doubt top 25 Vanderbilt > UNLV too.

• Upvote 1

Massey Composite Rankings after the year end seems to disagree...

UH #49

UNT #56

UH ahead in in 42 rankings

UNT ahead in 17 rankings

UH best 24

UNT best 30

UH worst 60

UNT worst 73

I can say very similar although my personal bias of course will say UH was slightly better (supported by Massey). Amazing that some UNT fans can't even acknowledge that UH might have had a comparable team even if your bias will say UNT was slightly better.

I don't know what got under Plumb's goat, but please know there is a silent majority here that like Houston and appreciate your always well thought out posts on this board. Houston had a terrific year and their future is VERY bright with O'Korn at the helm. After what you guys did to us last season in H-Town we have no reason to be talking smack. When I'm not pulling for my Mean Green I am a big U of H fan and have been since my childhood.

But Auburn lost their bowl game too. Ergo UNT > Auburn? No because FSU > UNLV. No doubt top 25 Vanderbilt > UNLV too.

to balance that out... is Vanderbilt 39 points better than UNLV in a bowl game? we may never know... UNLESS WE PUT A GAME TOGETHER!!!!

bestoftimes.jpg

Harry, pleeeeezzzzzzz :) no "b" in my name unless I was a plumber and I don' t make that kind of money! :(

Plummer: Like Christopher Plummer in "The Sound of Music"? :thumbsu: Jake "the Snake" Plummer of Arizona and NFL fame, :thumbsd: .....................Glenn Plummer of Hollywood fame? Yes, he's black and I'm beige (never been white) but we still spell our names the same. Plummer is as English a name as Miers is German.

Now To Get Serious Here... :rolleyes:

What I think all this is really about and probably got under NTCoog's goat was about 35,000 North Texas fans showing up quite visably on ESPNU TV for a New Years Day bowl game at the historic Cotton Bowl. Just a theory, but I think he might have had visions of another school possibly catchin up with or (EGADS!) even passing his by after what he merely saw last Wednesday on ESPNU because....................

.................UNT: Until recently was the Jolly Green Sleeping Giant schools like UH, SMU,TCU and others have most likely always thought would stay in an eternal state of slumber and never be anything but a pesky pest in all their respective ways to NCAA stardom.

AND.............reading some of NTXCoogs posts on this and other past threads hardly makes me think that he thinks "THAT" highly of our program. Don't see how others could see it any other way, either. We can sing Kum Bah Yah till the cows come home but some things in the Lone Star State are set in stone. NOTE: Remember all those who left CUSA for the AAC and most all of their attitudes toward North Texas and the rest of CUSA 2.0 as they were leaving? Have all of our Mean Green elect already forgotten all that? :hair:

UH (like TCU) will not schedule a resurgent North Texas football program....move on, folks, all this is a moot point with those who would do the actual scheduling anyway (which will not happen from any college or conference message boards, either, IMO).

GMG!

P-L-U-M-M-E-R :) (You know I wub' ya' :wub: like a bro', Harry)!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Much appreciated being here NTXCoog. As a fan/alum/student of UNT and UH, these pissing matches are annoying to me personally. I think both programs have something to be proud of after this season and I think both have a bright future. Especially being led by young QBs in O'Korn and Dajon.

Much appreciated being here NTXCoog. As a fan/alum/student of UNT and UH, these pissing matches are annoying to me personally. I think both programs have something to be proud of after this season and I think both have a bright future. Especially being led by young QBs in O'Korn and Dajon.

Agreed, completely. I think we both share a common niche and are very similar schools...UH is the big public Houston university, us DFW. Still not a fan of that new UH stadium though,

But I'm still in the small minority that UH should've redone the Astrodome and built the best damn indoor stadium with 50,000 seats. I still spend a ton of time down there, and there's too many stadiums and I hate that BBVA Compass Stadium style.

Anyway. No reason for this idiotic discussions.

Edited by meangreener
  • Downvote 2