New TEXAS Coach

EAGLE83

I know we are all stoked after a bowl win, but everyone needs to remember that we will be a 20 point plus dog to the horns.

They will also have much more experience at QB and just a butt load of more overall talent. Beating them in Austin would be a monumental upset of epic proportions.

That said, we do catch them at a very vulnerable time.

Where do you figure about the QB exp? Ash might not even play.

I know we are all stoked after a bowl win, but everyone needs to remember that we will be a 20 point plus dog to the horns.

They will also have much more experience at QB and just a butt load of more overall talent. Beating them in Austin would be a monumental upset of epic proportions.

What? You didn't hear? They're already touting Jerrod Heard as the next Vince Young. They may start a freshman.

• Downvote 1

UT gets "monumentally upset" every year in "epic proportion."

• Upvote 1

It's a great hire. Strong is a defensive-minded coach. Texas has been soft on defense for four consecutive seasons; that now ends. He will turn Texas into a premier defensive program.

We will not come within 25 points of Texas next year...I hate to say. I'm not sure what planet everyone else is living on. The planet I'm living on shows that we graduate 6/7th of our front seven, while Texas returns Johnathan Gray, Malcolm Brown, and Joe Bergeron.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

It's a great hire. Strong is a defensive-minded coach. Texas has been soft on defense for four consecutive seasons; that now ends. He will turn Texas into a premier defensive program.

We will not come within 25 points of Texas next year...I hate to say. I'm not sure what planet everyone else is living on. The planet I'm living on shows that we graduate 6/7th of our front seven, while Texas returns Johnathan Gray, Malcolm Brown, and Joe Bergeron.

I don't see much separation between them and this year's Michigan, and I would have felt pretty good about that matchup too. Maybe I have too much Green Koolaide.

They aren't the world beaters of old. We know they are returning players from a middle of the pack B12 season. Yes, we are graduating a lot of the front 7, but maybe the replacements are good enough to compete alongside our OL on the other side of the ball with a middle of the B12 team playing its first game under a new regime?

Regardless, I think this is our best chance to take in all the years I have been a MG fan.

Completely contingent on how the new guys (especially at QB) come in and do.

Texas still has elite athletes. What they did not have is elite coaching - especially on defense.

I think Charlie Strong will have Texas in competition for the Big 12 title in his first season. The Big 12 is not a great conference, as demostrated a mediocre Texas squad this year to stay in the title race until the last game.

The first game of the Charlie Strong era, with experience at QB and a devastating trio of tailbacks, Texas will come out hard charging to prove to their new coach they want to dominate.

• Upvote 1

Yep. Wish this year's UNT team was playing that game. Still think we lose, but not by as much.

And we will come out wanting to prove that last year was not a fluke and that we are real. I promise you our guys will still have a chip on their shoulders.

If we build on what we did this year, we are going to key on the run and see if the UT qb can beat us. We have done fairly well stoping the run. Good qbs and a good passing attack has caused problems. If heard is the starter, we would have a decent shot at the upset because it will take some time for him to get the passing down. Running qbs caused us some trouble too though.

If we build on what we did this year, we are going to key on the run and see if the UT qb can beat us. We have done fairly well stoping the run. Good qbs and a good passing attack has caused problems. If heard is the starter, we would have a decent shot at the upset because it will take some time for him to get the passing down. Running qbs caused us some trouble too though.

Exactly. Until they prove they can throw the ball I like our chances to make it a game.

Exactly. Until they prove they can throw the ball I like our chances to make it a game.

With the current team yes. Losing so much on defense and having no experience at the QB position leaves lots of things that have to go 100% right for the upset to happen.

Stopping the run and finding any way to move the ball on offense are huge obstacles on 08/30.

But I'll be there to watch, and it will be fun.

• Upvote 1

With the current team yes. Losing so much on defense and having no experience at the QB position leaves lots of things that have to go 100% right for the upset to happen.

Stopping the run and finding any way to move the ball on offense are huge obstacles on 08/30.

I agree. I think our defense will be good enough. The key is our passing game. I like the short routes we run, and if our new qb can hit those like DT did against UNLV and other games like K-State last year then we can put up points.

I just believe in the system we have in place and the competition we have at all positions.

They have good athletes not elite. Their roster is not loaded like a Texas team should be. They have a lot of unproven players. QB is a position that is up in the air for them.

Will they be favored by 2 tds? Yes. But the gap isn't as wide as someone of you think in terms if talent. Not hard to see that.

They have good athletes not elite. Their roster is not loaded like a Texas team should be. They have a lot of unproven players. QB is a position that is up in the air for them.

Will they be favored by 2 tds? Yes. But the gap isn't as wide as someone of you think in terms if talent. Not hard to see that.

I agree. I would not put money on us winning, but this is a pretty good opportunity. I'm planning on trying to make the game.

I am very interested in seeing what one more summer with the Wintrich Factory has these guys looking/acting like. I believe this last summer really helped get the majority of our guys to play within their emotions. I really really hope Freddie Warner can stay healthy. He reminds me of Trice (guy who no one gave a shot to type mentality) Then Zed could potentially play outside backer a la Will Wright. Giving us speed all over the field. Anyone know when our Freshman can step on campus? Anyone know how close Chad Davis is to playing? Man I can't wait for spring ball!!

Agreed on all fronts.

We've not moved the ball against UT in over a decade. We had a decent defensive showing in but one of those games. Different coaches, different players, etc... but history is not on our side. But who cares. It'll be a fun one and I'm willing to roll in there with realistic optimism, intent on leaving pleasantly surprised.

Then again, we couldn't move the ball against UTSA... at home... with a conference championship on the line.

• Upvote 1

A guy I used to coach with used to be the TE coach at NT on one of those UT butt kicking games. He said to start the game one of UT's corner reached across the line and slapped the crap out of our best biggest WR. The WR looked at the ref and said what the ____? Ref just shrugged and chuckled. I hope their corner tries that this year, then when we run a little screen and Y'Barbo comes around the corner and knocks him into last year Y'Barbo helps him up and just smiles at him.

Strong is not a homerun hire, but Strong to UT Austin sure sounds like the better search comittee job than Sarkisian to USC.

No matter who is gonna be their coach, UNT gets to play UT Austin at about the best moment imaginable for UNT... ..that still may not be enough to pull out the W against them (and the referees).

They get the pick of the litter in recruiting! Of course their players are elite athletes.

Jeez