An important message from RV regarding HOD tickets

Harry

I'm afraid this is what's going to end up costing us Coach Mac. Not this specific incident, but the overall incompetence. There's likely more things that we never see that will begin to frustrate him until he finally has enough.

I hope this isn't the case, but usually where there's smoke, there's fire.

Nope...what would make Coach Mac more likely to leave would be the continuance of empty seats at Apogee for home games. There is a pretty easy solution to that situation.

But, like I've said before...everyone needs to learn how to win.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

I'll try to keep this in mind when I am standing in the UNT Will Call line New Year's Day morning watching an 80 year old lady fumble through various shoe boxes full of tickets that she set-up on a folding card table in some dark corner of the Cotton Bowl. I'm sure there will be a cozy County fair feeling to the whole thing.

She also needs to learn how to win, but not as much as you do.

• Upvote 1

Nope...what would make Coach Mac more likely to leave would be the continuance of empty seats at Apogee for home games. There is a pretty easy solution to that situation.

And yet I wonder if anything will be "learned" from this fiasco.

• Upvote 3

I remember when you didn't have a Green Kool-aid explanation for everything.

Oh wait, no I don't.

Correct you are...everyone has a choice in how they approach situations. And, it is a choice. Yours to make. Thanks for noticing...Ha!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

And yet I wonder if anything will be "learned" from this fiasco.

Darn sure hope so. Keeping fingers crossed. If not...then a different approach might need to be considered within staff. But, it is a learning process...let the learning begin and end this year. Let experience take over for next year's Mean Green Bowl game run-up.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I'm afraid this is what's going to end up costing us Coach Mac. Not this specific incident, but the overall incompetence. There's likely more things that we never see that will begin to frustrate him until he finally has enough.

I hope this isn't the case, but usually where there's smoke, there's fire.

I picked up on Coach Mac's annoyance with our lack of attendance a long time ago. And he is right to be annoyed.Especially since he's done such a great job of changing the culture of the football team. It's (lack of attendance) the core issue that caused us to lose Coach Mac's mentor some 30+ years ago.

Kram1 says our fan base needs to learn how to be winners. I agree with that, but that "learning" that Kram1 talks about doesn't happen in a vacuum.

People learn either from reactive situations like getting a speeding ticket, or getting you ass whipped by showing up in a biker bar dressed like a preppie. OR they learn in a proactive way like at Texas A&M with their fish camp and subsequent yell practices etc. But for someone to learn in the proactive way, they need to have it presented to them over, and over, and over etc etc. At A&M, they teach their fan base in their pro-active way by having a plan and by having someone to show up consistently to teach/reinforce this plan....aka their traditions.

And back to Mac appearing to be annoyed with our lack of attendance. What I would say to him about that is "well, it's a good thing that we didn't have a sell-out, with lots of first time fans, for the UTSA game".

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 4

All of this arguing could of been avoided if only the kid workings at Kinko's was put in charge of mailing out tickets instead of the Athletic Department.

Would that be you?

If so, I'd like to relate my experience with the "kid at Kinko's" just this week. Doubtful you would want him handling ticket sales. Whole thing could not have been handled with less professionalism. Hope that guy wasn't you! :-)

• Downvote 8

I'm just thankful my tickets didn't get mailed because the ticket office somehow found my old address that I lived at more than 3 years ago. I've been ordering season tickets for FB, MBB, & WBB and those always seem to find the right address so I don't know how they got the wrong one for the bowl tickets. So glad I picked them up since if they had been sent via USPS or FedEx I might have never gotten them.

• Upvote 2

Gee, I wonder if competency in the athletic department has any bearing on people's willingness to buy season tickets or attend games. Nah, that's just crazy.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

I really, really, really, really want to move back to California the day that my little geographical custody leash is severed. But there's always that nagging little thought. I'm locked into my tickets for life, and you can pry them from my cold, dead hands!

• Upvote 1

After multiple phone tries and getting "the office is closed for the Christmas holidays" recording over and over, I finally got through to my second human today. This gal was very nice and found my tickets in the will call pile. Will call is easy to deal with.

The second gal was much better than the Jason (or something that started with a J) who said he would call me back "right away" but didn't actually do anything.

If you can't look up my tickets and don't plan on calling me back, just tell me you are too busy and ask me to call back later. Yes, I will be annoyed but less annoyed than being lied to.

I'm hoping Coleman will have some sort of explanation for why the FexEx service that was promised didn't work but right now fixing the problem is more important. I will write him after the bowl game and ask what happened and what's being done to fix it for the future.

It's sad that the University has taken what should have been a positive feeling and instead angered a number of it's most loyal fans. I don't have club seats but I have been a $1000 a year Mean Green club member since 95 or 96. Mistakes happen and that's understandable but how you try - and in this case IF you try - to correct them shows the quality of service.

• Upvote 3

Here is the information from meangreensports.com:

Schedule, Locations For Heart of Dallas Bowl Ticket Will-Call Set
Tickets Purchased Through North Texas Available At Apogee Until Dec. 30 at 3 p.m.

spacer.gif
spacer.gif

spacer.gif

Dec. 27, 2013

Here's the schedule and locations to pickup tickets to the New Year's Day Heart of Dallas Bowl purchased through the North Texas Athletic Ticket Office:

• Tickets will be available for pickup at the Apogee Stadium will-call window until 3 p.m. on Monday, December 30.

Will-call will then move to the lobby of the Omni Hotel in Dallas, and will be open Monday, Dec. 30, from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. and Tuesday, Dec. 31, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

• On Jan. 1, any remaining tickets purchased through North Texas will be available at the Cotton Bowl will-call window at Gate E.

This article was posted on the official website yesterday, however, when I contacted the ticket office about an hour ago I was told that the tickets WOULD NOT be available at the Omni on Monday and the will-call window will be at Gate J. I don't understand why this is such a problem for the Athletic department to get right.

• Upvote 2

Here is the information from meangreensports.com:

Schedule, Locations For Heart of Dallas Bowl Ticket Will-Call Set

Tickets Purchased Through North Texas Available At Apogee Until Dec. 30 at 3 p.m.

spacer.gif

spacer.gif

spacer.gif

Dec. 27, 2013

Here's the schedule and locations to pickup tickets to the New Year's Day Heart of Dallas Bowl purchased through the North Texas Athletic Ticket Office:

• Tickets will be available for pickup at the Apogee Stadium will-call window until 3 p.m. on Monday, December 30.

Will-call will then move to the lobby of the Omni Hotel in Dallas, and will be open Monday, Dec. 30, from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. and Tuesday, Dec. 31, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

• On Jan. 1, any remaining tickets purchased through North Texas will be available at the Cotton Bowl will-call window at Gate E.

This article was posted on the official website yesterday, however, when I contacted the ticket office about an hour ago I was told that the tickets WOULD NOT be available at the Omni on Monday and the will-call window will be at Gate J. I don't understand why this is such a problem for the Athletic department to get right.

I was told after 9am at Gate J. Now do I believe the website or the human to whom I spoke? I'm going with the human but will remember to also check gate E if they aren't there.

I am attending the New Year's event at the Tower Club and would be happy to pick up your tickets for you...could meet you at the pre-game tailgate to hand them over. Just PM me with your cell and I'll get you mine as well....we can let the AD know that I am picking up for you. Would this help at all? Happy to help...goes for anyone else as well who might have problems with any of the options presented. Mean Green Nation can work this out together. Let me know GrayEagle...or anyone else needing help.

I will also be in town (Denton) on the 31st and could run by the ticket office for you...if we could somehow let them know I am picking up for you...

Mark, I would be truly grateful if you would do that for me. I can't make it to the Omni because I have family coming in that night. I will send RV an e-mail requesting that you be allowed to pick up tickets for Jack and Jessica Fincher. There should be five tickets in the packet.

I will be at the pre-game tailgate and I'll seek you out. I'm sure that I can find you but I'll PM you my cell phone # in case. Hopefully, I should be there around 9.

Thanks again, and another thanks when I see you.

I picked up on Coach Mac's annoyance with our lack of attendance a long time ago. And he is right to be annoyed.Especially since he's done such a great job of changing the culture of the football team. It's (lack of attendance) the core issue that caused us to lose Coach Mac's mentor some 30+ years ago.

Kram1 says our fan base needs to learn how to be winners. I agree with that, but that "learning" that Kram1 talks about doesn't happen in a vacuum.

People learn either from reactive situations like getting a speeding ticket, or getting you ass whipped by showing up in a biker bar dressed like a preppie. OR they learn in a proactive way like at Texas A&M with their fish camp and subsequent yell practices etc. But for someone to learn in the proactive way, they need to have it presented to them over, and over, and over etc etc. At A&M, they teach their fan base in their pro-active way by having a plan and by having someone to show up consistently to teach/reinforce this plan....aka their traditions.

And back to Mac appearing to be annoyed with our lack of attendance. What I would say to him about that is "well, it's a good thing that we didn't have a sell-out, with lots of first time fans, for the UTSA game".

Very well said, Silver Eagle (and I just heard today that we of the wild, wild west will be heading to Big D this next Wednesday morning in a multi-vehicle Mean Green caravan). That should be fun!

NOW THIS:

If this UNT athletic program run by the current leaders will take care of annual season ticket sales along with Game Day attendance at Apogee commensurate with our growth of the last 30 years, then this alum will for the most part go into silent mode and one day be able to go into my eternity with a smile on my face but until then......................I'm going to raise hell until these 2 most vital areas of our ever being able to move up the NCAA totem pole get solved--no matter who does the solving.

There is no one more than the fans and alums of GMG.com who want our football team to play before better crowds but we rarely have a say or an opinion on how that can be accommplished since we'd like to trust our leaders to hire those who can do the accomplishing ...... but on the other side of this attendance coin......we who do show up most all Game Days at Apogee Stadium do tend to receive blame for empty seats more than I think we should.

To be a bit Clinton'ian with this but................... "Coach, we more than any group you'll know & not on the UNT payroll can feel your pain. Still, the discussion of much better attendance for future Game Days at Apogee beginning in 2014 will I'm sure have to go to the next level to the one person who'll be on the 50 yard line of the Cotton Bowl Stadium this next Wednesday performing the coin toss. Something tells me this guy whose last name is Smatresk will have a few nicely worded suggestions as far as how to put theories of having better attendance at Apogee into theories that have legs & feet to them.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I was told that the tickets WOULD NOT be available at the Omni on Monday and the will-call window will be at Gate J. I don't understand why this is such a problem for the Athletic department to get right.

Just.

Wow.

Maybe it's a challenge marketing strategy. You know, where you make it a challenge for people to pick up a product for which they have already paid? I here it was all the rage in the old USSR.

Mind boggling at a whole new level.

• Upvote 4

Mind boggling at a whole new level.

Please look away and pretend everything is OK. If anyone else mentions this incident immediately challenge their loyalty to the program. If that doesn't work, blame FedEx. It is not the Athletic Department's fault, they are trying as hard as they can. Just be happy that we are going to a bowl game, even though you may not be able to watch the bowl game because you will not be able to get your tickets in time due to the ticket shell game.

• Upvote 4