Dear BOR and President Smatresk

UNT90

On a side note, since I haven't been to a game and only plan on attending the UTEP home game this year, can someone tell me if guys are getting more than 2 minutes at a time on the floor this year, or is Benford still doing the whole reactionary substitution pattern thing with this team.

That was the very first sign all the way back to the Creighton game that this was gonna be axles-off basketball.

No, much more normal substitution patterns so far.
  • Upvote 1

As I mentioned in another thread, I fully expect in another 5 years or so that Benford will be a serviceable coach. D2 or D3 would be an excellent place to hone his skills.

Ernie should be ashamed for being so easily hoodwinked.

Winning basketball games should be more important than personal relationships.

As a matter of fact, if I ever win the lottery and make it to big donor status, my relationship with coaches will be based on wins and losses. And they will know that up front from the moment they reach campus.

None of us really know the relationship between Mr. Kuehne and Benford, and I think most of the posts about that relationship on here are either jokes or huge assumptions, or a combo of both. But it would be a shame if any major supporter put a personal relationship with a head coach ahead of the interest of the university.

As I mentioned in another thread, I fully expect in another 5 years or so that Benford will be a serviceable coach. D2 or D3 would be an excellent place to hone his skills.

Ernie should be ashamed for being so easily hoodwinked.

I love that word almost as much as I love "hornswaggled."

Winning basketball games should be more important than personal relationships.

As a matter of fact, if I ever win the lottery and make it to big donor status, my relationship with coaches will be based on wins and losses. And they will know that up front from the moment they reach campus.

None of us really know the relationship between Mr. Kuehne and Benford, and I think most of the posts about that relationship on here are either jokes or huge assumptions, or a combo of both. But it would be a shame if any major supporter put a personal relationship with a head coach ahead of the interest of the university.

Mr Kehune did not become the successful attorney/businessman he has by being stupid. The comments about his relationship with Coach Benford on here are comical at best. I doubt those posting about it have any first hand knowledge or have ever even met or talked to the man more than in passing. Just guessing, of course. There is the chance that those doing the talking are close personal friends with Mr Kehune and know exactly what they are talking about. What are the odds?

• Upvote 1

If we can get 300 posters to put up $1,000 each we can buy the coach off,

Volunteers?

Maybe the Moderators should consider deleting the basketball forum and replace it with baseball and we will not get so worked up. I'm not blaiming anyone but damn this is a daily beat down. Go out and support a good local high school team in the interim. It works!

• Upvote 1

If we can get 300 posters to put up $1,000 each we can buy the coach off,

Volunteers?

Maybe the Moderators should consider deleting the basketball forum and replace it with baseball and we will not get so worked up. I'm not blaiming anyone but damn this is a daily beat down. Go out and support a good local high school team in the interim. It works!

Funny..there are not near 300 GMG.com posters who donate $500 to the Mean Green Club much less $1000.00. Lots of big talk here, but that's usually what it is...all talk. Let's see the 300 who will put up $1000 each. My guess is you couldn't get 300 posters to give you $50, but you will have a bunch of talkers pony up with big promises.

Acta non Verba!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Funny..there are not near 300 GMG.com posters who donate $500 to the Mean Green Club much less $1000.00. Lots of big talk here, but that's usually what it is...all talk. Let's see the 300 who will put up $1000 each. My guess is you couldn't get 300 posters to give you $50, but you will have a bunch of talkers pony up with big promises.

Acta non Verba!

I thought you were a more positive person...
  • Upvote 1

I thought you were a more positive person...

I am also a realistic person and know that talk is cheap. Ever seen the Mean Green Club names in the football program and matched them up with some of the biggest talkers? Interesting project. Try it sometime. Like has been said...talk is cheap. It's not being negative, just reality within the so-called Mean Green fan base. More of a "what's in it for me" situation for many and less of a "pay it forward" mindset. Just is. One can negative this post all they want, but facts are facts. Work with me on some of my volunteer projects and you will see exactly what I am talking about. Ask someone you know who is an alum as often as I do to join the Alumni Association and/or the Mean Green Club and see what I mean. Fact...many posters here are members of neither. But, we all support the players, right?

While that's the reality, it does not keep me (and a bunch of other volunteer type folks) from trying and asking. I could write a book...title..."The Excuses I have Heard", but for every ten "no's" along with the patented excuse...and that's what it is a pure and simple excuse...the one "yes and thanks for reminding me" makes it all worthwhile. Folks here seem to think that the opinions expressed on the board are shared by the vast majority of UNT alums. Silly and so far from reality. "We" are the hard core fan base who tend to live and breathe UNT and UNT Athletics and, in reality, we are in the minority. That's why some here have such delusional views of the BOR, RV, Coach this or that, etc., etc. Happens at many other schools too within the "hard core".

Army, you guys get it. I understand your position on our head BB coach, but even so, more often than not, I see you and Mrs. Army and the kids in your seats cheering the players on. You guys show up for the GMG.com games and donate. And, there are several others doing the same thing. We just need more folks who "get it" a tad more and who realize that it is not all about "what's in it for me". Especially if we support the players so much in spite of everything, right?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

While that's the reality, it does not keep me (and a bunch of other volunteer type folks) from trying and asking. I could write a book...title..."The Excuses I have Heard", but for every ten "no's" along with the patented excuse...and that's what it is a pure and simple excuse...the one "yes and thanks for reminding me" makes it all worthwhile. Folks here seem to think that the opinions expressed on the board are shared by the vast majority of UNT alums. Silly and so far from reality. "We" are the hard core fan base who tend to live and breathe UNT and UNT Athletics and, in reality, we are in the minority. That's why some here have such delusional views of the BOR, RV, Coach this or that, etc., etc. Happens at many other schools too within the "hard core".

Yup, because 90% of our alumni don't give a crap about our athletics.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Yup, because 90% of our alumni don't give a crap about our athletics.

Please share your data on that percentage. I happen to know quite a few athletic supporters who have no interest in GMG.com and have no clue what I am talking about when I mention the board. Are you suggesting that the majority of supporters of athletics at UNT are members of this board and post regularly? If so...one word...silly.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Talk is pretty cheap. Sometimes, so is peer pressure to give even more when one is giving at levels above comfort already.

Talk is indeed super cheap..we see tons of it right here on this sight on a daily basis. If one bows to peer pressure such that they do things not appropriate then they are either very weak individuals or super immature. No one should ever give more than they are comfortable in giving...ever... to any entity. Heck, the church works on that 10% tithe thing pretty consistently. Ever see what percentage actually tithe? And, I know of no one exerting such pressure. If anyone feels that way...that's on them and perhaps means they need to take a hard look at themselves and figure out why it effects them as it does. If it is a guilty conscience, well, that's silly and 100% personally created. Peer pressure works on mature adult individuals only if they allow it to do so. If one has not figured out how to deal with peer pressure by the time they are college graduates, they certainly have some major personality issues brewing.

I have personally consistently told folks...it is not how much it is if. Plus....there are other ways to pay it forward if one feels financial pressure for some odd reason....they could volunteer their talent or time or both. I have found the most intense pressure one feels comes when they try to justify why "not" as opposed to "why" in most every situation. But, we all support the players, right?

Tony, you do what you can, I do what I can. No problem with that nor should there ever be.I certainly hope you were not referring to your own situation with your post. That would be very surprising. But, we have lots of those big talkers here who do nothing but talk and tell everyone else what they should do...yet do nothing but talk themselves. That is one of the challenges faced by UNT overall and not just in athletics. And it is something that must change if UNT is ever going to be considered "big time".

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Please share your data on that percentage. I happen to know quite a few athletic supporters who have no interest in GMG.com and have no clue what I am talking about when I mention the board. Are you suggesting that the majority of supporters of athletics at UNT are members of this board and post regularly? If so...one word...silly.

You said UNT alumni. Not UNT alumni who are fans of our athletics and don't post here.

So take the total number of alumni and compare that to the number of alumni who show up to games or even watch our games on TV.

The opinion of the vast majority of UNT alumni is simply "no opinion".

• Upvote 1

Not to be argumentative, but those with the best ideas do not necessarily have the biggest wallets. That doesn't diminish their assessments of the situation.

Or inversely...and the way I often like to think of things...those with the biggest wallets don't necessarily have the best ideas.

Both correct...that's why I constantly mention volunteering time and talent in lieu of cash. Again, and really try hard to understand...it is not how much...it is if...get it? Hope so.

Time, talent and/or treasure...all good. Not a hard concept to grasp. At least I thought it wasn't. But, let's make this clear too....just sitting back and suggesting what other people should do and making no effort other than to tell someone else what "they" should do is not helping. Nor, is criticizing others for doing what they do while sitting back and doing nothing but criticizing their actions and telling them how you think they could have done it better. That is not helpful. Acta non Verba!

But, we all support the players, right?

Edit..sorry meant to quote a couple of the above postings here. Hit the wrong key...did not get the quotes in...but they were discussing folks with ideas perhaps not having the deepest pockets....very correct.

Edited by KRAM1

Do you keep data on people who gave a good amount and then decided not to do it again? Is there ever a question as to why this may have happened or do you just write off the person?

Who "you"?

If the royal you, then sure, lots of folks do...especially in the non-profit world. UNT does much the same through the Advancement area. All significant donors have an Advancement Officer assigned to them. The officer keeps, or is supposed to, in close contact with the donor. So, UNT generally knows why or why not. I have been in discussions along these lines with folks in Advancement discussing certain situations with donors who I am familiar with on a personal basis. Often large donations are one-off, so a follow-up is not necessarily expected or anticipated. But, in many cases donations can be one become sort of a continuing situation.

Yes, sometimes things happen that cause a donor to no longer give to an institution. The institution usually knows why or has a very good idea why. I know of some situations at UNT where relationships were bruised for one reason or another and have since been repaired. On the other hand, some lost are never regained. People are individuals and have various motivations. It's what makes the "donations" game so challenging. Heck, just look at the long time grudges some folks here on GMG.Com hold...works much the same with large donors at times. People are funny...yes, they are.