Dear BOR and President Smatresk

UNT90

This would have never happened if we had hired Shaun Forrest. The team wanted him, he knew the system and had the momentum. Instead he is coaching at Western Kentucky and doing well. Shaun wanted this job in the worst way. We messed up.

Forrest is just another Benford, but with "extra" degrees. A good recruiting assistant coach that should not be a head coach.
  • Upvote 4

Smatresk doesn't officially start until February.

I know. I expect the current regime to not do one damn thing. If I wasn't posting from a cell phone. I would have tagged his name to this thread with the slim hope that maybe he is an egomaniac and would google himself and read my plea.

Approximately 2 weeks ago on your very own podcast RV laid down a thinly veiled blame at the feet of the players last year instead of using the opportunity to say what he should have, that last year was unacceptable, that he knew it, that Bemford knew it, and that it could not be repeated. RV simplyy will not admit that this was a terrible hire (which, in my book, is far worse than actually making said hire).

So, ya, I hope the new prez has enough power to stop the destruction of this program.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2

I know. I expect the current regime to not do one damn thing. If I wasn't posting from a cell phone. I would have tagged his name to this thread with the slim hope that maybe he is an egomaniac and would google himself and read my plea.

Approximately 2 weeks ago on your very own podcast RV laid down a thinly veiled blame at the feet of the players last year instead of using the opportunity to say what he should have, that last year was unacceptable, that he knew it, that Bemford knew it, and that it could not be repeated. RV simplyy will not admit that this was a terrible hire (which, in my book, is far worse than actually making said hire).

So, ya, I hope the new prez has enough power to stop the destruction of this program.

RV will never admit it because his a$$ is in a sling for this hire, Dodge hire, first SB coach hire, Stephens hire, Peterson hire, now Benford hire. He is just hoping FB will buy him a reprieve for a few months.

Edited by untbowler
  • Upvote 3

This would have never happened if we had hired Shaun Forrest. The team wanted him, he knew the system and had the momentum. Instead he is coaching at Western Kentucky and doing well. Shaun wanted this job in the worst way. We messed up.

I keep seeing this Forrest stuff. If anything the Benford and Trilli debacle should tell you that hiring coaches with the primary job of recruiting may not work out so well. Not to mention the fact that Forrest has a less than stellar reputation.

I agree that almost anyone might be better than Benford but if anything it would be nice to hire someone with actual hc experience.

Nor would it have happened had we hired the man that built the team that just whipped our ass on Sunday, Danny Kaspar. Not only is he an alumni but a letterman as well, who would have poured his heart and soul into this program. He took SFA to the dance, imagine what he could have done here? He wanted this job and had some huge references suggesting we hire him and it sounds like those references were ignored because I don't believe we ever contacted him?

Rick

• Upvote 4

Nor would it have happened had we hired the man that built the team that just whipped our ass on Sunday, Danny Kaspar. Not only is he an alumni but a letterman as well, who would have poured his heart and soul into this program. He took SFA to the dance, imagine what he could have done here? He wanted this job and had some huge references suggesting we hire him and it sounds like those references were ignored because I don't believe we ever contacted him?

Rick

We would have probably lost Mitchell to the draft and maybe others if UNT hired Kaspar. Back then, that made me say 'absolutely not' to Kaspar.

Hindsight being 20/20, I don't care who we would have lost, we made the wrong hire. We don't know how Kaspar would have done here, so I'm not saying he was the right hire, but I bet it would be better than what we are seeing now.

• Upvote 2

We would have probably lost Mitchell to the draft and maybe others if UNT hired Kaspar. Back then, that made me say 'absolutely not' to Kaspar.

Just curious what makes you think that? I think TM and everybody else would have stayed. At that time, Tony saw himself as a lottery pick, not late 1st early 2nd, I think he was staying no matter who the coach was.

Not true at all. TM was coming back regardless

I would imagine TM's return had much more to do with the lack of NBA talent in the 2013 draft as opposed to the 2012 draft. 2013 was supposed to be the weakest in years, and TM was projected to be a lottery pick.

Then he got Benford'd

Edited by UNT90

I would imagine TM's return had much more to do with the lack of NBA talent in the 2013 draft as opposed to the 2012 draft. 2013 was supposed to be the weakest in years, and TM was projected to be a lottery pick.

Then he got Benford'd

Exactly. Old staff actually told him to stay another year regardless of what happened

Then he got Benford'd

in some ways but his pouting and not putting 100% also lost him some favor. Hopefully he figured that out now that he is with his equals

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1