Baker Mayfield transferring from Tech

Green Crazy

He is not a step up from DT? I guess thats been answered. DT is my man this year. It still drives me crazy that McNulty is ahead of Brock. This is why we need a fifth QB?

you know what I'm digging?

A garden?

Yes, I am interested. He is a step up compared to Thompson. Thompson did what was asked of him, but nothing more. He is not a talented QB, he is a hand the ball off and make easy high percentage throws type QB. I don't care who Mayfield lost to or beat in the big12, it was in the big12. In the big12 he threw for 200 yards less than Thompson in 4 fewer games against better competition. This would be an upgrade and this is something the coaching staff needs to pursue immediately. Not just for increasing our talent level, but making sure that Rice, Houston, or UTSA doesn't pick this kid up. This would be a great get.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yes, I am interested. He is a step up compared to Thompson. Thompson did what was asked of him, but nothing more. He is not a talented QB, he is a hand the ball off and make easy high percentage throws type QB. I don't care who Mayfield lost to or beat in the big12, it was in the big12. In the big12 he threw for 200 yards less than Thompson in 4 fewer games against better competition. This would be an upgrade and this is something the coaching staff needs to pursue immediately. Not just for increasing our talent level, but making sure that Rice, Houston, or UTSA doesn't pick this kid up. This would be a great get.

If anything we need to try and keep this from happening, although I bet he goes to a CUSA or similar team.

Welcome!

I don't fully agree here. At worst, Thompson is an inconsistent QB. It's not that he cant make throws, it's that he can't do it consistently. He'll wow you with ones like these...

Exhibit A: (4:04 mark)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvTKTXGTAhA#t=238 :thumbsu:

Exhibit B: (3:26 mark)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZD4coemaL8#t=206 :goodjob:

These are some big time throws.

And then he'll overthrow a wide open receiver in the end zone by hitting the retaining wall of the stands. :jambak:

I'm a fan of DT overall. I truly believe he's the best QB we have on the roster.

I think DT is the best option on the roster at this point in time, not the best talent. I think if D. Williams will work hard in the upcoming offseason and learn the playbook, check downs, audibles, etc. I think he has the arm to throw for 2500 yards. More importantly though, I think if he becomes smart with the football and can learn to tuck and run I honestly think he can rush for 500. Numbers like that in this conference win conference championships. DT just doesn't do it for me. He throws for 300+ yards against the USM's and FIU's of the conference, and then he'll throw for 150 against the Rice's and Marshal's of the conference. Also, his TD/INT ratio at basically 1:1 isn't getting it done. One play usually won't win or lose a game, but it will change momentum and give the opposition hope. He gave opposition hope against Tulane earlier this year and against UTSA with 3 awful overthrows that were gimme's. One thing that DT is, is smart. That may have been very beneficial for Williams throughout the season.

• Upvote 1

We're always loaded at qb and just signed Fenimore, whose enrolling early because he graduated HS ahead of schedule. Plus our true freshman qb O'Korn just won AAC rookie of the year. Mayfield would give us even more depth but definitely wouldn't start at UH.

• Downvote 2

Are you serious? You don't think this could have the slightest bit to do with the different offensive system? He actually threw for 300 fewer yards (2,315 Mayfield vs 2,640 Thompson) and he did it in 20 fewer pass attempts (340 Mayfield vs 360 Thompson) so the 4 game difference is really irrelevant.

Yeah, he was in a pass happy offense. I mean he did play at TTech. But DT is a 5th year senior throwing 13 interceptions to only 14 touchdowns. Baker threw 9 picks to 12 touchdowns. So roughly same numbers with about the same amount of attempts, but the kicker is that one is a frosh playing in far better competition and the other is a 5th year senior playing in CUSA. See where I'm going with this? Also, DT played behind arguably the best O-line in CUSA, and TT's Oline is garbage in terms of big12 football. I am not saying that if Mayfield were to enroll here that he would come in throwing for 3500 yds with 35 Td's, but he would be a nice addition to an already talented QB corp. Also, if he came here than we wouldn't have to worry about him at Rice or UTSA, because make no mistake Baker Mayfield will be a top tier CUSA quarterback. I'd rather see him sitting on the bench or playing at UNT than beating us for the next 3 years.

• Upvote 1